Author Topic: I saw a fox on my way home  (Read 6843 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I saw a fox on my way home
« on: 01 May, 2008, 08:21:51 pm »
My building is in the middle of an industrial estate, which itself is in an area which is partly urban but very close to wilderness and parkland. As I was cycling out tonight on my way to the main road - at 5.30pm and in broad daylight - something caught my eye. Behind the chainlink fence, in the middle of the social work department's transport section, stood a fox, looking at me.

I'm convinced that if I'd been in a car the engine noise would have scared it away or I wouldn't have seen it anyway. I've been feeling gloomy this week following the death of a cyclist in Edinburgh, but knowing that cycling gave me the opportunity to see a fox so close has cheered me up.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: I saw a fox on my way home
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:24:55 pm »
I saw a pair of foxes in Edinburgh when we were there for the Festival about 3 years ago.

I had taken the Brompton and on the Sunday morning of our hol I cycled along Princes Street and out to Portobello at 6.45.

I can't remember exactly where they were but it must have been somewhere near the Northfields area of the city. I got back to our apartment in Thirlstane Road around 9 a.m., just before the rest woke up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:28:01 pm »
Dont let the law defying bastards in red coats know .Oh we just stumbled across it whilst out riding and just happened to have an eagle with us  >:(

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:41:23 pm »
Saw a fox yesterday morning 0445 strolling along pavement at Knole Lane, Bristol -
Seemed not to have a care in the world !

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:49:38 pm »
My street is a fox thoroughfare - I can look out of my bedroom window at night and expect to see at least one fox within five minutes, sometimes more than one fox too!

It always cheers me up to see them (although they can be bloody noisy at times.  Worth it though).

Rapples

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:50:29 pm »
Dont let the law defying bastards in red coats know .Oh we just stumbled across it whilst out riding and just happened to have an eagle with us  >:(

Actually I know that this isn't the place to have an arguement over foxhunting :demon:  So this will definately be my only post on this thread :thumbsup:

However, I don't think most people realise that those who partake have a huge respect for wildlife and nature.   They like to see foxes about, and believe (as do I) hunting to be the best form of control.

Yours sincerely

A Country Dweller

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:53:43 pm »

Actually I know that this isn't the place to have an arguement over foxhunting :demon:  So this will definately be my only post on this thread :thumbsup:

However, I don't think most people realise that those who partake have a huge respect for wildlife and nature.   They like to see foxes about, and believe (as do I) hunting to be the best form of control.

Yours sincerely

A Country Dweller

Or:

They  arrange  to have living animals torn apart.  For fun

Yours

Another country-dweller

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:57:41 pm »
I have yet to see the red-coated mob in Southend, a town with a particularly high fox population. I doubt that they would be especially welcome in the local parks and back gardens of the suburbs. I would guess that it is a very ineffective method of control no matter where you happen to be.

The most effective method of control here seems to be death by motor vehicle, and that doesn't work very well either.

« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2008, 05:00:34 pm »
Somehow I dont see a fox hunt through any city streets happening - surely the police wouldn't marshall such an event ( or is it only cycle racing they are against )

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2008, 05:56:07 pm »

Or:

They  arrange  to have living animals torn apart.  For fun

Yours

Another country-dweller

We should get bloody cat owners next - they take pleasure in owning pets that kill rodents - the owners never do anything to stop them. Haven't they heard of cat food? There's tons of the stuff in Tescos.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2008, 06:08:15 pm »
That's true

We're moving ours to a farm where also live the Gwent Wildlife Trust....

But then, cats wash their own arses with their tongues in public -  and I'm not sure you can extend their behavioural mores to quite all the hunting classes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2008, 06:14:35 pm »
That's true

We're moving ours to a farm where also live the Gwent Wildlife Trust....

But then, cats wash their own arses with their tongues in public -  and I'm not sure you can extend their behavioural mores to quite all the hunting classes.

No, they wash each other's...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »

No, they wash each other's...

I was just about to post that.

I'm always surprised by how small foxes are. I've seen a few so I know they're not big, but in my head they're Alsatian-sized.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Nick H.

« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:54:32 pm »
I had a friend from Bucharest staying last weekend. She had a panic at 1 am because there was a vixen outside screaming and yowling for a right good shagging. She wasn't expecting London to be a wildlife documentary on stilts.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:00:22 pm »
We're not short of foxes here in West London. Something to do with the lack of gun-toting farmers and a plentiful supply of full bin bags and I'm sure if I looked out of my window now I'd be able to see one.

But I was suprised to see one in the middle of Marble Hill park at lunchtime today as it was far from cover and apparently unconcerned about passers by.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:12:25 am »
There was a big fat foxy fellow in the garden last night.  It's the first one we've seen in  14 years here.  I guess they have plenty of other places to be.

Treewheeler

« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:59:47 am »
My terrier and I have a 'close' relationship with foxes... and cats... rats... and small asiatic lap dogs on leads...

« Reply #17 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:22:45 pm »
Actually I know that this isn't the place to have an arguement over foxhunting boxing :demon:  So this will definately be my only post on this thread :thumbsup:

However, I don't think most people realise that those who partake spectate have a huge respect for wildlife and nature human beings.   They like to see foxes African-Americans and Hispanics about, and believe ... hunting boxing to be the best form of control.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

border-rider

« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2008, 08:47:53 am »
In the garden again this morning; he must have been up late to still be around at breakfast time

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 12 May, 2008, 08:51:05 am »
Yesterday on the CTC ride there was a freshly killed fox lying in the road near the Hanningfield Water Treatment Plant. It had been in beautiful condition - its coat was the most vibrant red colour I've ever seen (no, not blood).

« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:29:56 am »
I often think it's such a shame that foxes pong so much. They would make beautiful pets as they are eminently tameable as they are of course a type of dog.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 13 May, 2008, 02:59:38 pm »
They were making noise enow to shake the tiles off the roof of Larrington Towers in the early hours of this morning, the little furry gits >:(

A couple of months ago I encountered one right outside my front door in broad daylight.  S/He stared at me for a bit, conclude that s/he was unable to eat, fight or fu<k me and went on his/her merry way.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »
If one is being kept awake by shagging creatures of the night, is it legally/morally acceptable to lob a brick at them?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:24:27 pm »
If one is being kept awake by shagging creatures of the night, is it legally/morally acceptable to lob a brick at them?

Not unless they are semihuman/undead.

Treewheeler

« Reply #24 on: 13 May, 2008, 11:12:02 pm »
Worried about the smell, take a vixen for a pet.
 Smell less and are smaller.
I could dig you out one if you wished...