Author Topic: Cycling with children threads?  (Read 7773 times)

Cycling with children threads?
« on: 13 March, 2017, 08:22:37 am »
Just been searching threads about cycling with children. I can't seem to find any. Are there any advise threads about this and where would they hang out?

BTW i know there are cyclists with kids on here because there's classified ads selling child related kit (trailers, tagalong bikes, etc.). Unless these just mean most posters are older parents with kids that no longer cycle with them.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Cycling with children threads?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2017, 09:04:25 am »
Losing the stabilisers but it doesn't get many posts.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2017, 12:58:50 pm »
You get the occasional ride report of a tour.  Halter's recent one (albeit with older kids) springs to mind, as does this one by tom_e.  But I think most forumites' riding with children takes the form of day rides or utility journeys, and is sufficiently ordinary that it doesn't get written up.  And of course children are often a feature of forum camping weekends etc. which uusually involve some cycling.

Some discussion of child-related cycling ends up in Kidstuff, mostly about specific kit.

« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2017, 01:56:30 pm »
Kidstuff sub-forum, why didn't i spot that? I looked through but didn't spot anything about kids. Easily missed forum i guess. Thanks for pointing it out.

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2017, 03:06:43 pm »
Most comments about cycling with kids tend to be as an adjunct to other posts - someone's commute that goes via the nursery, or whatever, so the post ends up in a commuting thread.

« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2017, 09:57:06 pm »
Like many others here I've used most child carrying methods, trailers, front seats, rear seats, tag alongs and tandems.  If you can't find the information you need just ask, someone will soon be along with an answer  :)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2017, 10:01:02 pm »
Yes, I've posted reports of rides I've done with kids, but they are just mixed up in the general stuffs.
Mostly, I've posted about longer rides with older kids ( teens ).

« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:29:50 am »
I was just looking around for opinions on using tandems or tagalongs with kids. Especially at the younger end because at 4 years our lad is too young to ride on his own with us but getting too old to sit in a trailer or child seat. I just thought there would have been threads about it here. Good to see different sources of information as each cycling forum has different viewpoints.

« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:50:14 am »
We got a U+1, which is a sort of tagalong but with two wheels so much more stable. It has its own gears (which you can lock out so the kids don't fiddle). Being stable like a trike meant we could put the child on it without having to balance it, and strap their feet into the pedals for security using toestraps. My daughter loved riding on this and developed very strong legs! By about 6 she could push me along without me pedalling, which was a great sight, we'd overtake other cyclists with me extorting her to pedal faster, this tiny demon out of the saddle pedalling furiously while I sat up not moving my feet.

I don't know if they are still made. Never saw many around, they were a bit niche. Sold ours on, then I think it was sold on again. There was a sturdy platform between the two wheels, on which we kept a large wicker basket with a lid.  Great for shopping.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:51:49 am »
With a four year old at least some of the options are; trailer bike, tagalong, tandem or follow-me tandem.

All have their own set of pros and cons and will therefore fit best into different domestic situations/requirements.

We opted for the trailer-bike option which worked really well for our particular requirements, but had I known about the follow-me tandem we'd probably have got one (or maybe even two) of those. They would have broadened what we did as a family on bikes a little bit.

Crinkly Lion, Butterfly and at least one other here have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Circe Helios tandem.

Tagalongs (trailgaters) get a mixed press. The advantage of being able to detach the bike at your destination and let the child ride is undeniably neat, but they seem to be a bit of a faff to set up right and can damage the child's bike if you're not careful.

Our experience was that with balance being acquired through balance bikes and the pedalling concept being drilled in on trailer bikes, than when they got their own real bikes both were off and pedalling in an instant - no pushing or holding required at all.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:53:32 am »
Are you thinking of touring (hostel or camping), day rides, or sight seeing afternoon rides?

I think the duration of the rides and trips will make a difference. I have seen child back tandems etc used and there are people on here that do each of these who can advise.

Personally I started Hostel touring at the age of 7, with Dad carrying all the luggage on his tourer and me on a solo. We quickly started riding with a group of CTC families.

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:53:38 am »
MiniGB progressed something like this:-

9 months: Weeride Kangaroo (seat on top tube)
18 months: Hamax Kiss
3 years: Balance Bike (still in Hamax Kiss for longer journeys)
5 years: Islabike CNOC 16 and Trailgator to attach it to the back of my bike
7 years: 20" bike, haven't moved the Trailgator attachment across.

All of this is short bimbles on the bike (10 miles tops probably). I've always been able to fit panniers on the bike in any of the setups so I've carried anything we needed (picnic, swimming stuff, football, etc).

Hoping to start doing longer and longer rides with the family this summer.

Reminds me, I still have the Hamax Kiss seat (with extra height mounting bar), the Princess Lillifree Balance Bike (pink, with brake), the Islabikes CNOC 16 (red) and the Trailgator to sell (in SW15 if interested).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:50:15 am »
We've got a follow-me tandem thingy.  My review here.  It works pretty well for when they're out of a trailer in the open but not ready to ride everything on their own yet.  Very happy with it and seriously considering getting a second for a short period at least.  Maybe useful 4-8 ish age range?  At the top end it'll get wobbly as the child gets taller and heavier - it isn't a proper tandem.  But at the same time it isn't an additional bike (a tandem) you need to buy and store either, it's everyone's normal bikes.

Before that we made heavy use of some trailers (single and double at various points, we have three kids).  They're great for overall weather protection so you know you can carry on, but not very sociable.  You pretty much have to shout to the kids and back once you're riding.

Now we make more use of very careful overall planning and route choice, which is most definitely the tricky and important bit if you want everyone to enjoy themselves.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »
We got a U+1, which is a sort of tagalong but with two wheels so much more stable. It has its own gears (which you can lock out so the kids don't fiddle).

Sounds functionally similar to a Hase Trets (which can also take a front wheel and become an independent trike).  Usual recumbent price-tag applies, but offset somewhat by its suitability for larger children, particularly those with disabilities that are a barrier to independent cycling.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 26 March, 2017, 09:47:20 pm »
I have just bought a Yepp child seat for out very nearly 4 year old grandson. Says it is designed for up to 6 years/22kg.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.