Author Topic: Mantis tiller  (Read 6034 times)

Mantis tiller
« on: 15 May, 2016, 01:10:23 pm »
We are eyeing up one for the new house c/w the lawn kit to aid in the moss battle to come.

Anyone used one or has one and willing to comment please?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Re: Mantis tiller
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2016, 01:44:18 pm »
I would hire one first, see if it does do what it claims on the tin.
My experience is that they are to light to be of any use, but I do have the use of big toys to do the work so may be bias

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2016, 04:30:37 pm »
I have one of the old 2 stroke ones that I bought off one of the old guys on a neighbouring allotment. I wish I hadn't - it's not much good on heavy soil.

I use it for potato planting as it can draw a trench out reasonably well. I thought I would be able to use it between fruit bushes where my big rotovator won't go, and to 'hoe' between rows.

If you have a medium plot on light land, it would probably be OK.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2016, 05:25:58 pm »
We have a relatively small veg garden comprising some 8 raised beds with lightish good quality friable soil so the power issue is not an issue if you get me. We are also interested in the lawn care aspect they are offering in what is currently a good deal so probably making a purchase tomorrow.

Now studying the how to put it together manual.... Hmmmm will update..LOL

PH

« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2016, 02:17:01 pm »
Have one.   Only OK for the initial "digging" but are excellent for the inter row weeding, and the secondary "digging".
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2016, 01:11:57 pm »
Now used this for some time and the moss remover works a treat. Took of 42 barrow loads in total this season.

The lawn edger I just cannot get to grips with so possibly I am doing something wrong or our edges were just too rough for it to cope with.

The rotavator I have not yet used but now I know the power in the machine from the moss scarifying I have reasonable hopes for it as the soil here is just excellent. Full of worms and very friable so I am not foreseeing power issues. I will update when I turn over the plots for the next round of plantings.

PH

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2023, 06:51:22 pm »
Old thread resurrection...

Been looking around for views on the Mantis tiller, considering getting the 4stroke deluxe model, till depth down to 25cm, up to 200rpm on tines.

Anyone have any more recent experiences? 

My soil has rel high clay content but there is sand in the mix as well so not too sticky in dry conditions.