Author Topic: Dutch brevets in 2018  (Read 28805 times)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: Dutch brevets in 2018
« Reply #25 on: 23 October, 2017, 09:11:26 am »
I believe the Dutch police is on record (somewhere) that they're glad when cyclists have lights at all and won't write you  a ticket if you have a flashing light. Technically you need (orange) reflectors on your pedals and reflectors in your wheels as well. I have never been stopped for using "illegal" lights or lacking these reflectors; and you can always act the "dumb foreigner" and get them to sympathise by telling you came all the way to the Netherlands to ride a bike for 200km  ;)

A helmet is not required by law, nor by the organisation of the brevets; but most Dutch randonneurs wear one.

It's always windy over here, so keep wind chill in mind! You'll suffer without proper gloves (I like the "lobster" type, using it with a thin merino liner) and shoes with covers; MTB SPD cleats act like heat sinks, thicker insoles and/or heat packs (that are more like luke-warm than hot, for at most 3 hours IME) may be worth looking into.

I would recommend "warme chocolademelk met slagroom" to warm up at the controls :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 23 October, 2017, 09:38:42 am »
I believe the Dutch police is on record (somewhere) that they're glad when cyclists have lights at all and won't write you  a ticket if you have a flashing light. Technically you need (orange) reflectors on your pedals and reflectors in your wheels as well. I have never been stopped for using "illegal" lights or lacking these reflectors; and you can always act the "dumb foreigner" and get them to sympathise by telling you came all the way to the Netherlands to ride a bike for 200km  ;)

Yeah, if the Dutch police enforced the rules then they would solve any budget issues in one evening of stopping people in Vondelpark...

My bike has all the reflectors needed by law, as well as a vast array of blinky, flashy, and steady lights (including attached to my body). I'll of course switch all bar 1 off on an Audax.

A helmet is not required by law, nor by the organisation of the brevets; but most Dutch randonneurs wear one.

I wear a Helmet to cycle even in Amsterdam, I just can't get used to not wearing one...

It's always windy over here, so keep wind chill in mind! You'll suffer without proper gloves (I like the "lobster" type, using it with a thin merino liner) and shoes with covers; MTB SPD cleats act like heat sinks, thicker insoles and/or heat packs (that are more like luke-warm than hot, for at most 3 hours IME) may be worth looking into.

Aye, I've got quite a nice collection of gloves for keeping my hands warm in various temps. I need to work on some nice overshoes tho.

I would recommend "warme chocolademelk met slagroom" to warm up at the controls :)

Lekker.

That bit I've got the hang of...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

rob

« Reply #27 on: 23 October, 2017, 12:06:12 pm »
We were almost fined at about 3am near Utrecht on the Dutch Capitals.  It was the beginning of day 5 and the cycle path was pretty rough so I moved onto the smooth tarmac of the road for a bit of respite on the hands/arse.   I figured as it was dead that we'd be Ok for a few miles.

We were stopped by a police car what must have been 10 minutes later and given a bit of a dressing down by the junior officer, before the more senior of the 2 stepped in.   Myself and the German rider I was with got out of it by a) acting the dumb tourist and b) showing our DCT jerseys and how far we had ridden.

« Reply #28 on: 23 October, 2017, 05:25:03 pm »
I can only once remember an officer threatening to ticket me for not having a white section on my mudguard (this rule doesn't exist anymore). But that was at a peace protest and it was an MP so he had an axe to grind.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #29 on: 26 October, 2017, 11:41:12 pm »
If I'm still on my current project which looks like i will then I'm up for the 200k from Bunnik.  My Airnimal lives in the Hilton staff bike park in TheHague so will do it on that.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #30 on: 30 October, 2017, 03:29:35 pm »
I'll be riding the Maasland 200 on Saturday.  Anyone else?

« Reply #31 on: 30 October, 2017, 08:41:28 pm »

I'll be there

« Reply #32 on: 31 October, 2017, 08:12:41 am »

I'll be there

Nice. I’ll be riding with Oliver (American guy that rode LEL) who I guess you know.

« Reply #33 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:14:36 am »

I'll be there

Nice. I’ll be riding with Oliver (American guy that rode LEL) who I guess you know.

If you can keep up with Oliver you're a bit too fast for me.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #34 on: 02 December, 2017, 05:48:06 pm »
Current project has been extended so the Bunnik 200km on 27th January is definitely on the list.  Are we able to get credit for these towards AUK points, eg to count for an SR series, as my opportunities to get rides next year will probably be few and far between, and it would help to not have to find a UK based 200.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 02 December, 2017, 06:40:09 pm »
Any BRM around the world counts towards your AUK palmares, though you have to notify the AUK Recorder of such things.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Zed43

« Reply #36 on: 04 December, 2017, 10:24:38 am »
After a while the organiser will publish the results (including ACP homologation number) on http://lowlands1000.nl/; I just send the URL to the relevant brevet results to the AUK Recorder. Eventually you'll get your brevet card in the mail as well.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 09 December, 2017, 02:14:23 am »

Do I need to be a member of the Dutch equivalent of AUK to take part? Do I need any insurance?

J
--

« Reply #38 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:05:47 am »

Do I need to be a member of the Dutch equivalent of AUK to take part? Do I need any insurance?

J

You can take part as an individual, so no need to be a member of any cycling union. The reduction for members of cycling federations also applies for members of cycling federations abroad.
You are expected to have an insurance though, in case you cause a crash. In most instances your normal insurance will do but you'll have to check yourself if you're covered during non racing cycling events.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 09 December, 2017, 12:32:14 pm »

J

You can take part as an individual, so no need to be a member of any cycling union. The reduction for members of cycling federations also applies for members of cycling federations abroad.

I'm not a member of any cycling orgs. Perhaps this is time to join one. Time to read the Lidmaatschap section of the Randonneurs.nl...

You are expected to have an insurance though, in case you cause a crash. In most instances your normal insurance will do but you'll have to check yourself if you're covered during non racing cycling events.

I think I have general liability insurance from my bank, but I'm not sure what it covers... it's all in Dutch...

J
--

« Reply #40 on: 09 December, 2017, 06:31:22 pm »

J

I'm not a member of any cycling orgs. Perhaps this is time to join one. Time to read the Lidmaatschap section of the Randonneurs.nl...

I think I have general liability insurance from my bank, but I'm not sure what it covers... it's all in Dutch...

J

A lot of liability insurances cover cycling. The exact definiton of cycling can be different though. The NTFU (Dutch cycle touring federation) offers a liability insurance which is tailored for cyclists. Randonneur NL membership includes a NTFU memberhsip.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #41 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:22:58 pm »
I would presume my CTC/Cycling UK insurance would cover me.  It has done before.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 09 December, 2017, 09:12:04 pm »
A lot of liability insurances cover cycling. The exact definiton of cycling can be different though. The NTFU (Dutch cycle touring federation) offers a liability insurance which is tailored for cyclists. Randonneur NL membership includes a NTFU memberhsip.

I've filled in the form on the Randonneur.nl site, I've had an email saying something is happening. Time will tell if I've filled it in right (my Dutch is not very good still).

J
--

« Reply #43 on: 10 December, 2017, 12:15:15 am »

I've filled in the form on the Randonneur.nl site, I've had an email saying something is happening. Time will tell if I've filled it in right (my Dutch is not very good still).

J

All board members speak English. The memberships are handled by the treasurer (penningmeester in dutch). All board members have an email address starting with their function and then @randonneurs.nl. So you can drop a note to the treasurer.
The same is for the organisers. They can be reached by the name of the starttown/village followed by the @randonneurs.nl.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 04 January, 2018, 08:55:09 pm »

Well I'm signed up for the ride from Bunnik on the 27th.

Now I just need to get a bit fitter in the next 3 weeks...

J
--

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #45 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:37:33 pm »
I'm now also entered in the Bunnik event.  Will be travelling over by train from the Hague that morning (and see that the route takes me also back to The Hague, c'est la vie!) and will decide after the event whether to ride back or not.

Looking forward to it.  Will add to brevets from UK, France, Italy, and the USA. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #46 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:11:45 am »
Weather forecast remains fair for the Bunnik 200. So looking forward to it.  The only hills are bridges and there's a total of 18m difference between the highest point and the lowest.  So might just about squeeze around in daylight.

This will be a first for me, riding an Audax by GPS rather than a route sheet, having only started to use a Garmin a month ago rather than relying on route sheets.  But experience of Dutch cycle lanes is that you really do need to know where you are supposed to be heading.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:14:58 am »
Weather forecast remains fair for the Bunnik 200. So looking forward to it.  The only hills are bridges and there's a total of 18m difference between the highest point and the lowest.  So might just about squeeze around in daylight.

This will be a first for me, riding an Audax by GPS rather than a route sheet, having only started to use a Garmin a month ago rather than relying on route sheets.  But experience of Dutch cycle lanes is that you really do need to know where you are supposed to be heading.

Weather forecast has upto a force 5 wind, from the south west. The first 80km or so is going to be a bit of a slog based on the wind.

I'm starting to think I've bitten off more than I can chew with this. But I'll give it my best shot. I'm going to arrive in Bunnik on Friday evening. Come say hello, I'll be the Brit with the red Genesis bike, looking nervous.

J
--

« Reply #48 on: 25 January, 2018, 12:34:11 pm »
Just shelter in a group for the first 80k.

Zed43

« Reply #49 on: 25 January, 2018, 04:20:25 pm »
Just shelter in a group for the first 80k.
Always a good plan :-) But from the looks of it there only will be a little (head) wind in the morning.

@Julia I'll be riding my blue Rohloff randonneur, so now we only need to find someone with a white bicycle to complete the national colours (and maybe an orange one for a hint of royalty)