Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882248 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #275 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:41:52 pm »
I did my second ride since my stroke, yesterday.  It took me twice as long as it should have been, but wasn't as wobbly at my first ride was.  I did 35 miles which is no great distance, but it is a step towards better times.

I cycled from home to a nice little garden centre in Shipley and had a nice cup of tea and a cake, then cycled back.

Well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My second recovery ride was a mere 8 miles.

[quick google for Shipley] That's not very far from The Pigot Arms, where I spent a few minutes awaiting the arrival of (soon to be) Mrs N at the church which was conveniently located across the road [/reminiscing].

I've paid for it today! Ho Hum!
Is everything OK Elleigh?  :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #276 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:10:23 pm »
Been out in the rain laughing on the tandem.  We went shopping, but we went to Sainsbury's instead of the Coop, as I was concentrating on some traffic shenanigans and forgot to turn left, despite Butterfly's indicating :-[

It's amazing how much you can get into one pannier.
Getting there...

« Reply #277 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:11:35 pm »
I'm just back from a few miles - rainy, but nice rain.  :)

Jezza

« Reply #278 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:31:06 pm »
26 miles to Salsea Forest and back, to test the triplet for Blaxhall tandem weekend next week.  ;D

Ooohhh I know Blaxhall well.  What day will you be there?

I used to live in Blaxhall. Nice little place. 

« Reply #279 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:35:18 pm »
Lap of Richmond Park in the rain, and saw a stunning double rainbow!

« Reply #280 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:46:35 pm »

This one? (Sorry, only a couple of crappy camera phone pics that don't do it justice, it was very very vibrant and bright.)

There's also:

Two laps for me this evening although the second was interrupted by a visitation on the flat bit coming up to Roehampton Gate. Big bit o' flint so I sulked off home without putting in the third lap.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #281 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:44:40 am »
the 'not drinking during the week' didnt go so well last night after the team meeting in London, so it was a taxi home at midnight and 10 hungover miles on the folder this morning to pick up the car from the station.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #282 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:44:47 am »
If you ar hung over, aren't you still likely to be over the limit?

I'm not "having a go", just curious.

I've been out for a slow painful walk with the dog. It was also wet. The early morning tandem ride was put on hold: although bright and sunny at 7 when we got up, but 8 the rain had started.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Maladict

« Reply #283 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:48:07 am »
Commuted to work for the first time in ages.  :-[

5.6 miles cos I had to go to the doc's to drop off my repeat 'scrip.  In fact that's probably why I woke up early enough to cycle - out of stomach acid pills.  ::-)

« Reply #284 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:05:43 am »
If you ar hung over, aren't you still likely to be over the limit?

I'm not "having a go", just curious.

Hangovers are a symptom of dehydration, they aren't indicative of sobriety or drunkenness, only dehydration.

The body processes one unit of alcohol per hour (so say the govt so it must be true). 3 units is enough to put you over the drink-drive limit.

If you start at 6pm and drink pints of beer worth 2.2 units each then at 8am the next morning (which is 14 hours later):-

6 pints = 13.2 units. After 14 hours = 0 units
7 pints = 15.4 units. After 14 hours = 1.4 units
8 pints = 17.6 units. After 14 hours = 3.6 units (awooga)

However I've often had a hangover after 5 pints, and I've got away with some unbelievably booze ridden days well into double figures.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #285 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:09:29 am »
The body processes one unit of alcohol per hour (so say the govt so it must be true).

I think this is the dodgy bit. I've read in more than one place on the interweb (so that must be true too) that the 1 unit/hour is only good for the first unit - after that. it takes longer and longer the more you put into the system. Something to do with the liver and rates of removal of stuff. Or something.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #286 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:04:20 pm »
Just did my first non-commuting ride in 6 months (pure laziness, no excuses!).

Foolishly I intended to do my 65 mile loop , but at a reduced pace. Pretty soon I realised that that was a less than ideal plan as I found out: it wasn't as warm as it looked; the headwind was freshening and rain clouds were darkening in the distance, directly above my turn-round point.

An alternative route was formulated, arm warmers (and later showerproof jacket) were donned and it appears that I got lucky and managed to skirt around the worst of the rain - evidenced by the huge amount of rain washing down the homeward roads.  I ended up doing just shy of 40 miles at not too far off my normal average pace so I'm rather pleased (if aching a bit).  :thumbsup:

Also got a good view of a roe deer which is something I wouldn't have seen had I been sat on my arse watching the snooker!

Hopefully I'll get back into the habit again from now on...
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #287 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:15:24 pm »
Went out last night, dropped the car at work, got the bike out of the back, put the wheels on, donned helemt etc, just about to get on the bike and FLASH BANG.  thunder and lightning (or to be more precise, vice versa), closely followed by hailstones.....

Buggrit I thought, I've sorted everything out now, I may as well ride back to the digs.  Once I was wet I figured I may as well enjoy the ride so I extended it by detouring via the Blackwater Valley Way then a spin down the road to a RB and back again, a total of 8 miles.  I was dripping by the time I got back to the digs :(

This morning was brighter though so the 3 miles into work went much quicker and easier, apart from security had given me the wrong key for the bike shed so she had to go back in the car until I could get the key changed...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

alan

« Reply #288 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:02:40 pm »
Went to the bank & back this morning & rode to the Dick Turpin Highway Robbery Franchise Stratstone Volvo dealership this afternoon to collect the gas-guzzler.

That's approx 27km.

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #289 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:57:35 pm »
Not been out today. Just vegging around recovering from last 3 days C2C.

report to come soon.

« Reply #290 on: 30 April, 2008, 05:05:13 pm »

This one? (Sorry, only a couple of crappy camera phone pics that don't do it justice, it was very very vibrant and bright.)

There's also:

Two laps for me this evening although the second was interrupted by a visitation on the flat bit coming up to Roehampton Gate. Big bit o' flint so I sulked off home without putting in the third lap.
Yes, that one! I took a couple of crappy phone camera pics too, but they turned out worse than these. Lovely, weren't they?  :D

« Reply #291 on: 30 April, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »
Not been out today. Just vegging around recovering from last 3 days C2C.

report to come soon.

Ooh, looking forward to that!

« Reply #292 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:32:39 am »
Second p*nct*re in as many weeks this morning on my ride to work. Again, the villain was a spear shaped flint. I was riding along feeling quite smug about how I'd dodged the rain all week - that'll learn me. Worse luck; my spare tube was a dud, it looked like a new one when I packed it but it's possible that it was one from last year that needed patching up, doh! So I had to get my boss to come out and pick me up!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #293 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:40:15 am »
Went out last night, it was fine and dry when I set off, only for the skies to open when I was 1/2 way round, so as far out as I could get.

Another sodden return to the digs.... :(

Maybe, just maybe it won't rain tonight?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CathH

« Reply #294 on: 01 May, 2008, 12:35:14 pm »
My first commute since mid-February!  The showers are now working, I have a new locker actually in the shower room, I am feeling fit and no trace of bronchial ills.  I am one very, very happy camper.

« Reply #295 on: 01 May, 2008, 12:37:26 pm »
My first commute since mid-February!  The showers are now working, I have a new locker actually in the shower room, I am feeling fit and no trace of bronchial ills.  I am one very, very happy camper.
That's great to hear, Cath.  :thumbsup:

We have just had new showers opened at work. Plus fresh towels provided every day! :D

CathH

« Reply #296 on: 01 May, 2008, 01:04:52 pm »
fresh towels provided every day!
Wow, what luxury!  Get a load of this statement today:

2. Changing Facilities, HQ
The refurbishment of the changing rooms at xxxxxx is now complete.  To support green travel to work, both changing rooms have lockers available to staff who regularly cycle or walk/run to work. Please contact the Estates office, HQ if you wish to make use of these. Once all cyclists have been allocated a locker, any remaining lockers will be available on a first come, first served basis.

Things are moving in the right direction!

« Reply #297 on: 01 May, 2008, 02:59:56 pm »
That is good news, Cath.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #298 on: 01 May, 2008, 08:41:51 pm »
Yes.

25 odd Mi on to come back home. 2/3 of it was hard in the wind (I was on my folder); I was flying on the last leg though. It was good to a be out early too. I could have maybe done the club TT.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #299 on: 01 May, 2008, 08:43:12 pm »
25 miles on the tandem along the Wandle Trail, then across Croydon with it's sillilly long hills. 

To go to Aldi ;D

But we fitted in Geoffrey Butler's en route.
Getting there...