Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500083 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #8300 on: 05 January, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »
First commute of the year following a holiday in Mexico, and by some margin the slowest ever, probably because of the following factors

- First time on the bike in a fortnight
- Into a gale, and rain
- Montezuma's revenge causing some discomfort.

On the other hand the dash from the bike shed straight past the changing rooms to the toilet was a personal best.

« Reply #8301 on: 05 January, 2012, 07:23:54 pm »
First ride home from work in months. 14 miles due west on the train this morning, 14 miles home due east on the bike this evening  ;D

I need to fettle the front gear cable, 7 speed 39 x 12-28 was rather spinny with that tail wind.

gordon taylor

« Reply #8302 on: 05 January, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »
I met one of these, on the way home tonight, wandering about in a dark, dark lane to the north of Stafford. It appeared to be the size of a Transit van, but that's probably an exaggeration due to my heebie jeebies. Google says it's an English Longhorn Bull.

I'd love to say that I took the photo, but as I was fumbling for my camera phone, the thing started towards me and I sped off. I was just wondering what to do when two Landrovers containing four worried looking blokes came zooming past with their hazard lights on.

I love my commute.  ;D  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8303 on: 05 January, 2012, 07:29:33 pm »
I think that's covered by the "Don’t scream if you meet a cow." rule   ;D

simonp

« Reply #8304 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:14:03 pm »
Forgot my laptop and remembered half way home so have done >40k today. Then got a puncture.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8305 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:27:58 pm »
I'd love to say that I took the photo, but as I was fumbling for my camera phone, the thing started towards me and I sped off. I was just wondering what to do when two Landrovers containing four worried looking blokes came zooming past with their hazard lights on.

I love my commute.  ;D  :thumbsup:
Eeeeeps! An unscheduled sprint competition!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8306 on: 06 January, 2012, 06:33:25 am »
Early commute this morning 04:20 !
Through deserted streets, the best time of the day !
The moon had a slight haze to it and occasionally plumes of cloud would blow cross it making it look even more fantastic.
Still quite a breeze blowing through the Bristol Channel, but not as bad as yesterday  :o
Got to work and enjoyed a Waitrose 'Heston' mince pie washed down with a hot chocolate  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8307 on: 06 January, 2012, 08:54:17 am »
Tuesday and Wednesday I rode in off-road. On tuesday i had two trees to climb over, by wednesday it was up to four. Rode home both days on the road and it was slow.

« Reply #8308 on: 06 January, 2012, 09:03:46 am »
First commute since 8th December.
And a pretty ideal day for it. What wind there was was behind me, it was fairly busy through the village but no stupidity, and I'm not a total wreck with the unaccustomed exercise!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

fuzzy

« Reply #8309 on: 06 January, 2012, 09:08:06 am »
The wind on the ride home last night was far steadier though quite strong. No overstrong gusts, just constant. My usual 29 to 30 minute ride took 33 minutes and 33 seconds ;D

This morning was much easier with the wind almost non existant.

« Reply #8310 on: 06 January, 2012, 10:11:35 am »
OMG!!  Slow, fat, unfit, and suffering yesterday.

OTOH: A beautiful crisp cold and clear winter evening, with a starry moonlit night and pitch dark country lanes for some of my commute. Lovely!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Si_Co

« Reply #8311 on: 06 January, 2012, 05:39:28 pm »
Mr Giant rider, I'm a fairly easy going sort who usually has no problems with anyone catching a draft, particulary after you'd worked so hard to avoid being caught, to be fair if the lights had been in your favour and you hadn't had to ease off for few seconds i probably wouldn't have caught you, HOWEVER a front tyre 6" from my rear dropout at 22mph would have been uncomfortable from someone whose bike skills I knew, but from a stranger engaged in a bit of SCR it was truly scary.

Glad I turned off 1/2 mile later or I think we might have had a 'discussion' over it. Other than that a brilliant commute. Absolutely flew home, amazing what motivates you  ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #8312 on: 07 January, 2012, 02:00:08 pm »
17.25 miles.  In 13 minutes.  On Brunel's Billiard Table, with 2250 hp at each end, and green signals throughout.

(I love my job!)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8313 on: 09 January, 2012, 10:07:09 am »
Today, I managed to collide with a dumper truck!

Happily it was at very slow speed and it was entirely my own fault.  I came up behind it at a set of lights (at the northern end of Southwark Bridge in London) and, as always, waited behind it.  When the lights changed all the traffic started to move forward and a large number of cyclists streamed through on the truck's left.  I was so busy keeping an eye on them and watching for the truck swinging in either direction that I failed to react when the truck stopped again and ploughed straight into the back of it. 

No damage, apart from a few bruises and an air of slight embarrassment  :-[
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8314 on: 09 January, 2012, 12:03:48 pm »
Oh dear.  Glad it wasn't worse.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8315 on: 09 January, 2012, 12:42:35 pm »
You wally! Glad you're unharmed though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8316 on: 09 January, 2012, 06:04:48 pm »
This morning 6.15 am, rode out under a pure shimmering silver white almost perfect disc of a moon so bright it shone right through the dark clouds in the night sky.  So beautiful, I almost forgot I was on my commute in the inner city.  At Peckham Rye there was a power cut. No lights at all. What luck.  Even more besutiful under that moon.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #8317 on: 09 January, 2012, 06:05:23 pm »
I got soaked on the way home but weirdly i enjoyed the ride all the same  :thumbsup:
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #8318 on: 09 January, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »

Happily it was at very slow speed and it was entirely my own fault.  I came up behind it at a set of lights (at the northern end of Southwark Bridge in London) and, as always, waited behind it.  When the lights changed all the traffic started to move forward and a large number of cyclists streamed through on the truck's left.  I was so busy keeping an eye on them and watching for the truck swinging in either direction that I failed to react when the truck stopped again and ploughed straight into the back of it. 

No damage, apart from a few bruises and an air of slight embarrassment  :-[

Glad you're still in one piece. That's a manoeuvre I've so far only ever pulled in my car (and that was 20 years ago)  :-[

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8319 on: 09 January, 2012, 08:00:23 pm »

similarly I know of one yacfer who did same with a skip in the roadway.Did him some damage which took a couple of years to recover from.It's likekly(sp) that his injuries would have been less serious if he had been wearing a helmet.
Despite the damaged brain box he's a right clever sod now though & has the academic paperwork to prove it 8)

you know who you are :thumbsup:

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #8320 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:06:22 pm »
My first commute since starting work in York last month and first ride of the year.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8321 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »
No wind.   :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8322 on: 09 January, 2012, 10:34:55 pm »

:thumbsup: + lots

It was a joy so cycle without having to battle the wind.  Just a shame I didn't know it was 'pedestrian attempted suicide day' today.  At least I know the disc brake the lbs fitted to my commuter works well.

Highlight of the commute was in the morning.  Leapfrogged a roadie a few times, then ended up next to him at a red light.  Light turns green and he races away - with me along side him.  :)  He's on the drops, giving it a good effort - with me cruising merrily along side him.  :D  After a few hundred meters I let him go, content in the knowledge I could have left him to eat my dust.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8323 on: 10 January, 2012, 08:44:41 am »

:(

I take my bike into work on the train and ride home. The train ride is east - west and the cycle west - east. I want my tail wind back.  :'(

« Reply #8324 on: 10 January, 2012, 09:04:31 am »
I've come to the conclusion that there's no good sounding like a smug bastard if I don't ride like that - all the time.

Bit of an off, today. Very last bit of my journey is on a shared "cyclepath" by the A40, going west on the south side. I've crested the hill, negotiated the eyes-in-the-back-of-the-head junction where cars come off the A40, and heading down to the point where I cross the A40 (here, http://g.co/maps/hu26e, no roadworks). Lights are green so I think "get a wiggle on to make sure I'm there for the red sequence". I come up to the feeder road onto the A40 (very limited early visibility, normally very quiet, doubt I've ever seen more than one car use it - (http://g.co/maps/7v25p this bit where the no entry signs are) still, look left just to check.

F-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-CK.

Arguably  I would have been better just to try to hoof it through, I chose to try to brake. It was touch and go. I got as far as in front of the small van, which had also tried braking.  The coming together was reasonably gentle, as these things go, and a couple of bruises and a small scrape is all the damage.

Driver was very shaken, too. No question it was my fault in my OWN eyes, but he was very apologetic. He made an interesting statement too: "I always look out for cyclists here.... just this morning I glanced down at my PDA, looked up and there you were." :facepalm: I think he might be more careful in future, he sounded as if he cared.

Truth no. 1, this is another piece of shit cyclepath. Truth no. 2, you really don't ever know when they're going to get you. I could have and should have avoided that one. Ho hum.