Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500118 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #9750 on: 22 April, 2012, 04:39:51 pm »
Yep, here it is in the usual variation:

Ride home, including a 17:25 climb up the Cairn  :)
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/176445955

Ride in:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/176445965

( Assuming that like link works, I've only just started using the Garmin Connect thing. )

Edit: no, my street-jargon is not up-to-standard.
I even get abuse at home if I say 'Nom'.

« Reply #9751 on: 22 April, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »

( Assuming that like works, I've only just started using the Garmin Connect thing. )
Have you been hanging out wiv da kidz?

simonp

« Reply #9752 on: 23 April, 2012, 12:00:42 am »

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/166548537

( Assuming that like link works, I've only just started using the Garmin Connect thing. )

*looks at profile*

:o

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #9753 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:50:34 am »
This week I am mostly commuting from Camberwell to Nutfield. 20 miles of A235 and A23 goodness. Took me 75 minutes this morning. Can push that much closer to 60. Lovely.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9754 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:08:50 am »

*looks at profile*

At least it's mostly flat eh?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9755 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:13:01 am »
I had a great commute in (my first for over a week).  A few 'cosy' overtakes and a short stop to play Bingo with a driver.

I was overtaking her car when she flung the door open, and I told her it was stupid and illegal.  She said 'What?', and I told her about the chap killed in Bromley.

'I did see you.'  No Score
'I'm a cyclist.' One Point
'There was plenty of space.' One Point
'Well, I didn't hit you.' One Point
'And you should be wearing a helmet.' One Point

Not a full house, then, since she apparently saw me before flinging her door open, not noticing the oncoming traffic or the cars following me, both of which she denied were there, despite their all too solid existence at the red traffic light a bit further on.  But an impressive score for a short exchange of views.

Oh - and she was driving an Audi.
Getting there...

« Reply #9756 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:14:22 am »
Roadsafe her mate.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9757 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:17:22 am »
I forgot to take her number :-[
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #9758 on: 23 April, 2012, 11:01:23 am »
Riding along Green End Rd (Cambridge) towards Milton Road, a car overtakes me a bit close, as there was oncoming traffic. Typical occurrence. The lights stayed green long enough for them to continue straight over Milton Road, I stopped as they'd turned to red. As I pulled up I heard the sound of tyres squealing on tarmac, and looked up to see same car now on the wrong side of the road on the far side of the junction (on Kings Hedges Road) and swerving back to the left hand side of the road in a cloud of tyre smoke.

I've no idea what happened to cause that - there was nothing they were avoiding on the LHS that I could see. It seems most likely that it was just a random loss of control. Which is a bit scary given how close they passed!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9759 on: 23 April, 2012, 11:37:56 am »

*looks at profile*

Crikey. I make that pointy bit an average of 8.5% for two miles. Impressive.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

plum

« Reply #9760 on: 23 April, 2012, 06:08:47 pm »
I was overtaking her car when she flung the door open, and I told her it was stupid and illegal.  She said 'What?', and I told her about the chap killed in Bromley.
Don't get me wrong I know how stupid the woman is, but just for a point of clarification. If I open my car door and another car collides and rips it off, my understanding is that the insurance claim would automatically go in my favour because the other vehicle is required to allow space when overtaking. Just as rearending someone is always a losing claim because it means you were driving too close. So my question is, when a cyclist gets doored is it automatically considered to be his fault for not leaving enough space?

And speaking of rearended. Some chump had the gall to clatter me up the rear end this morning. Big fuckoff island by the Mosque at Golden Hillock. 12 entry/exit lanes this island has including the dual carriageways and some lowlife knocks me sprawling on the floor in the middle of the chaos that is the 8am rush hour. I was not amused. Rear wheel's in the shop now getting trued but I couldn't get a time for someone to give the frame a thorough check.

« Reply #9761 on: 23 April, 2012, 06:13:10 pm »
Don't get me wrong I know how stupid the woman is, but just for a point of clarification. If I open my car door and another car collides and rips it off, my understanding is that the insurance claim would automatically go in my favour because the other vehicle is required to allow space when overtaking. Just as rearending someone is always a losing claim because it means you were driving too close. So my question is, when a cyclist gets doored is it automatically considered to be his fault for not leaving enough space?

Incorrect - you/your insurance will be paying for the damage you caused to their car.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

simonp

« Reply #9762 on: 23 April, 2012, 06:17:02 pm »
It's an offence to hit anyone with your car door, see highway code rule 239.

plum

« Reply #9763 on: 23 April, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »
Cool.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #9764 on: 23 April, 2012, 07:16:27 pm »
This week I am mostly commuting from Camberwell to Nutfield. 20 miles of A235 and A23 goodness. Took me 75 minutes this morning. Can push that much closer to 60. Lovely.

66 minutes for the ride back. I can definitely get that under an hour
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9765 on: 23 April, 2012, 07:36:06 pm »
My commute happened by two sections of Richmond Park today. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #9766 on: 23 April, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »
Bleh. The commute home today was really rather tough. Achilles tendon playing up and my left thigh felt (and feels) rather sore.

Lucked out with the weather though. Raining practically all day (started about an hour after I got to work) and it stopped about ten minutes before the ride home. I even saw some blue sky and sunshine. Was nice as I'd resigned myself to getting really rather wet.  :thumbsup:

Gotta sort my bikefit out, tired of getting sore neck and arms. And knees. And bum.

ETA Still beat driving in though.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9767 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »
Hadn't been out for 8 days.  Longest off the bike this year.  Nothing special, just the way work meetings and family commitments fell.  So did interval training on the way back in the rain, with two big panniers  ;D.  Got up the hill to Brocas Lands in the biggest gear so far and went so fast I had to slow down on the top corner  ;D ;D.  Got to stop doing such silly things and do something more sensible like finishing a 200k Audax before lunch.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #9768 on: 24 April, 2012, 08:56:25 am »
Decided that the weather wouldn't stop me riding today after a week off the bike, I was starting to feel like I'd never ride again. Performed a good time on the Steamroller, stopped to take the Paclite shell off as it wasn't raining that hard. Kit nice and dry in the full Camper Longflap.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #9769 on: 24 April, 2012, 09:09:38 am »
Whereaboots is Donkey Hill please. Tried looking, and got Donkey Mews in Brighton.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #9770 on: 24 April, 2012, 09:31:12 am »
Whereaboots is Donkey Hill please. Tried looking, and got Donkey Mews in Brighton.

I knew Brighton was strange, but any fule kno that Donkey bray, Kitteh mews

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #9771 on: 24 April, 2012, 09:51:23 am »
You bloody fool. I'm looking around for a stick and can't find one!  ::-)
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #9772 on: 24 April, 2012, 10:13:19 am »
Had a very sociable commute this morning, met up with Paul on his F Moser steel steed at Aldgate to TCR and picked up with another occasional acquaintance around Notting Hill to Acton. Most unusual and pleasantly chatty.

(and, hello to Paul if you are dropping by)

fuzzy

« Reply #9773 on: 24 April, 2012, 10:21:07 am »
Not commuted by bike forabout a week (again) >:(

This became apparent on Sunday morning when, whilst out for a jolly on my Sunday Best 'Dale, whilst ascending Kingston Hill from Chinnor to Stokenchurch, I had to get off and walk :-[

Lungs trying to escape and a HR @ 184 bpm suggests I have lost a little bit more form :'(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9774 on: 24 April, 2012, 10:23:27 am »
You bloody fool. I'm looking around for a stick and can't find one!  ::-)

You remind me of Stevenson ;D
Getting there...