Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500217 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10200 on: 11 June, 2012, 03:24:56 pm »
Today was a run day, did 5 miles and got very moist.  All good fun though.  :)

« Reply #10201 on: 11 June, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »
I never thought I'd find myself writing the following sentence:

I am so pleased to have a bike with mdgrds.

Gah! I can't even bring myself to write it.

*Singularly unimpressed with the 'Nutty's slimed bottom' flooded section under one of the bridges along Peckham canal path*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10202 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:07:52 pm »
Welcome to the Old Farts Brigade! ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10203 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »
The weather was OKish on my way home, and I was at Putney before having to think about it, so I went through Richmond Park and managed another 50km day.  That's all but two days in June so far. :thumbsup:

But as I was riding up Spankers Hill, I caught another rider.  Turned out to be older than his physique might suggest, so I didn't think it was a great scalp.  Unfortunately, as I passed, he turned to me and said, 'At least it isn't raining'  :facepalm:

By the time I got to Kingston Gate, it was siling down.  And I know it's 15km of winding back streets from there :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #10204 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:13:28 pm »
Got to leave half an hour earlier today as everyone else wanted to go watch the foopball and the bosses did too :)

Wasn't fussed about it myself but always glad to leave early. Had a nice ride home, most of which I spent chatting with a chap I sometimes see in the mornings. Chatting away and still going faster than my usual cruise speed.

Started spitting as I neared home but I was in the porch before it really started raining. I would have been quite wet had we finished at the usual time  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #10205 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:39:20 pm »
Welcome to the Old Farts Brigade! ;D
Old Farts yourself.
I was blitzing it down the OK Road this evening.
Levitating on a mist of spray.
I need to sort out some UV downlighters on the fixer so that it does actually look like I'm hovering above the tarmac. :P

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10206 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:45:29 pm »
The discomfort of getting into wet kit for the commute home was greatly outweighed by the absence of traffic.  Football does have its uses. ;D

And there was a tailwind home.  ;D ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10207 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:25:40 am »
I made a bad mistake and pulled out at a roundabout when I shouldn't have done. Luckily the taxi I should have given way to was going slowly and he didn't hit me. In my defence, I was distracted by watching what the arsehole behind me was doing because he was showing every sign of being about to overtake me dangerously.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10208 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:01:10 am »
I also made a stupid mistake today.  At Loughborough Junction, I ended up going down the left hand side of a bus as the lights changed and it started off, towards the kerb.  I knew the bus was going straight on and I was turning left, but it shouldn't have happened.  It was a complicated situation which put me there, but I didn't apply my usual anticipation. :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #10209 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:08:01 am »
Slowed down considerably by a borked back and the need to detour around parts of my ride which were flooded last night and so almost certainly are still flooded today!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10210 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:27:25 am »
Missed out on my usual ride in from Bromley this morning because I missed the early train so had to get the one that doesn't stop at Bromley...

Lately, I've got the 4.5km dash to the station down to about 8m 20s but this morning, with a stiff headwind and driving rain whipping in off the sea, it took 9m 50s. Max speed on the descent into town was a mere 46km/h - it's usually closer to 60. Got to the station just in time to watch the train pulling out. Why is the fecker never late when it would suit me?

Obviously, I should have left the house sooner, but I find it harder to get out of bed in the morning in winter...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #10211 on: 12 June, 2012, 11:15:16 am »
Stopped to ask a cyclist looking at a map if he needed directions. He didn't.

Nearly cycled into a bollard.

« Reply #10212 on: 12 June, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »
Nice to be back, is all I'll say. Any mention of wimping out yesterday and working from home will be considered non-chivalrous. I can feel my t-shirt tan washing off by the minute.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10213 on: 12 June, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »
'Orrible headwind on the ride home tonight.
Added 20 minutes to my time.

That's why the ride in this morning felt fast...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #10214 on: 12 June, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »

*Singularly unimpressed with the 'Nutty's slimed bottom' flooded section under one of the bridges along Peckham canal path*
I rode through that one yesterday.  Without mudguards.  There was an even bigger and slightly more puzzling puddle just before the traffic lights at the junction of Tower Bridge Road and Bermondsey St.  How did that occur? (and, yes, I know it's been raining, but there's no obvious reason for water to accumulate there.
   And, a query.  Is there a coffee roastery somewhere on the industrial estate off Grange Rd in Bermondsey?  I often ride through that area and have never smelt it before, but yesterday there was the most amazing smell of roasting beans.
     Today I was only wet on the way in, so that's an improvement.

« Reply #10215 on: 12 June, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »
Today overshoes were deployed.
My feet were toasty and dry  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10216 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »
I followed the Olympic Torch up the main road :D

« Reply #10217 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »

My commuting bike now has a permanent pair of mudguards fitted, I was getting fed up with wet bits !

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10218 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:52:15 pm »

It's a slippery slope.  Next thing you know you'll be fitting a rack and checking out the latest in sandals. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

seraphina

« Reply #10219 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:56:55 pm »
On the way home I passed a Mercedes estate which had ignored the (two) Road Closed signs and attempted to drive through the ford, which had burst its banks. It had gotten about 2/3rds of the way through before they got stuck - the water was up to the seats. I would have stopped to take a picture but thought that would have just added insult to injury. I did laugh to myself lots though.

Thankfully for cyclists there is a footbridge over the ford. My poor Horizon is looking filthy at the moment.

« Reply #10220 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:03:06 pm »
Well started plodding in at my usual lethargic pace this morning when about halfway to work who rides up behind me but the same chap I rode home with last night, I don't normally see him that often.

Lo and behold my pace immediately rose a few mph and a very good ride into work was had.

Got a bit wet on the way home but wasn't heavy enough to warrant the waterproof. Did have to stop halfway to pull through a bit more front brake cable though as the pad wear meant stopping wasn't as oomphy as I'd like.

Had a massive dinner as I felt I needed it and now for a nice hot bath  :thumbsup:

Were my car working I'd have probably driven in this morning but I'm really glad I cycled... maybe I shouldn't fix it tomorrow  ???
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10221 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:09:05 pm »

It's a slippery slope.  Next thing you know you'll be fitting a rack and checking out the latest in sandals. ;)

I arrived in Morecambe with a dry bum.  Not everyone on the ride can say the same.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10222 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:10:40 pm »
Yes, anyone got any tips for drilling holes in fibreglass?  ;D

« Reply #10223 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:15:01 pm »
On the way home my brakes were a little less than effective.....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10224 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:17:30 pm »
Yes, anyone got any tips for drilling holes in fibreglass?  ;D

Eye protection & a mask.
Getting there...