Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500171 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #11575 on: 20 November, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »
Rapha kit!  How much do you think they pay people in the Physics department. ;D

My kit is mostly Endura and YACF (aka Owayo).
Posh git. Mine is mostly Aldi
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11576 on: 20 November, 2012, 04:37:45 pm »
Oi mrcharly! That washing up liquid on paper towels trick for cleaning your rims and brake pads really works. Thank you very much!

I was using wet wipes before, and although good, not nearly as good as your method. I'll be passing that forwards. :)
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #11577 on: 20 November, 2012, 05:17:53 pm »
Had my first experience of the A24 Morden debacle today. The twunts have decided to make the non mandatory 'cycle lane' mandatory by widening it by about six inches with a nice slippery solid white line.  Needless to say I'll be ignoring it, the new line is right where your wheels want to be in a strong secondary.  Utter shite.

http://tinyurl.com/cz6e28h

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11578 on: 20 November, 2012, 05:20:58 pm »
I used part of that last week, but I don't know it well enough to recognise the changes.  It's pretty crap.
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #11579 on: 20 November, 2012, 05:49:55 pm »
Second visit from the fairy in a week, glass sliver, I can't think of a way of tweaking the commute that avoids smashy pubs.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11580 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:28:24 pm »
Complicated domestic stuffs required me to drive in this morning. Bah!

But I took a bike, and managed a ride home  :thumbsup:
So now committed to ride back in tomorrow, regardless of the weather.  :-\

All this because I'm being challenged on bikejournal by someone of this parish.
I'm currently snuggled comfortably between Chris and fboab  :P
and I'm going to struggle to keep it that way!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11581 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »
Astoudingly, I didn't get wet.
Rode in under glowering heavy skies, but not more than random drizzle.  Rode home at 5 as it stopped raining.

I win!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: Re: On the commute today
« Reply #11582 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:38:35 pm »
and I'm going to struggle to keep it that way!
Gooseberry!

Chris S

« Reply #11583 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:40:38 pm »

Oi!  >:(

;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11584 on: 21 November, 2012, 03:09:22 pm »
Had to get in v. early today dark, wet, windy, roads full of freshly dislodged leaves and pothole hugging puddles.  It had a strange timeless beauty to it all. 

Need to get a new liner for the pannier, bottom end of the lap top was slightly damp
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Phil W

« Reply #11585 on: 21 November, 2012, 06:27:42 pm »
Recharging rear led battery tonight before heading back out on club ride. It rained so hard on the commute some water had got into the reflector bit. Now all dry and reattached to bike.  Rain was meant to stop before I came home #weatherforecast

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #11586 on: 21 November, 2012, 08:29:57 pm »
After the soaking earlier, a fast dry run home. Got overtaken on the Embankment by a roadie in all black Ninja kit but with a powerful rear light. I was doing 24-25mph and he shot past me as though I was going backwards.

For some reason, lots of noticeably considerate driving tonight  :thumbsup:

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #11587 on: 21 November, 2012, 08:38:11 pm »
A bit wet on the way in but not as heavy rain as when the alarm went off. Kit mostly dry bar my gloves and shoes by home time which was a plus, though I had taken spare kit in with me in case. Of course I left my spare gloves at home though  ::-)

A fair old slog into the headwind for the way home though, was too hot too in my jacket and it wasn't raining but didn't want to stop to take it off (visions of it escaping and flying away) so sweltered my way home, except for cold toes.

I've been gesturing and swearing at idiots too much lately so tried to stay a bit more zen today. Managed it in the morning but by the third driver just not turning their full beam off on the unlit lanes on the way home I slipped a bit.

Was rather hungry when I got home but can't eat the slow cookered lamb stew till my other half gets home, made do with two rounds of toast topped with homemade jam a co-worker gave me, delicious.

Think I might wimp out of tomorrow's commute as it's looking like 30+mph winds all day  :hand:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Phil W

« Reply #11588 on: 21 November, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »
I rode through several temporary lakes. Cars behind didn't seem to mind waiting whilst I went down middle of road through shallowest bits. Guess they were using me as a depth gauge for each lake before proceeding 8)

« Reply #11589 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:32:30 pm »
Missed the rain   :thumbsup:
Stopped to change the batteries in my main light, which improved things on the unlit bits.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11590 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »
This morning: crossed the 9,000km barrier.  Now less than 1,000km until I hit my target for the year.

This evening: came off the bike, scraping up a knee and bashed an elbow.  As I approached a pair of mini roundabouts a car approached from the opposite direction at high speed.  No idea which way the car would go so started to take evasive action - and hit wet ironworks.  The driver found the time to slow down and stare at me as he drove by, but said nothing.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #11591 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:36:39 pm »
This morning: crossed the 9,000km barrier.  Now less than 1,000km until I hit my target for the year.

This evening: came off the bike, scraping up a knee and bashed an elbow.  As I approached a pair of mini roundabouts a car approached from the opposite direction at high speed.  No idea which way the car would go so started to take evasive action - and hit wet ironworks.  The driver found the time to slow down and stare at me as he drove by, but said nothing.

Bummer.
Hope you're ok.
Time for that 14yo?
Whisky, lest you (or anyone) thought anything else!!!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11592 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »
Glad you're OKish. 
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11593 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:53:23 pm »
16yo, please!

Bike is fine, little claret shed, prepared for tomorrow's soreness.

As I left work I convinced myself to have a healthy supper.  By the time I made it home it changed to something with chips washed down with beer.  Comfort food FTW!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #11594 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:07:51 pm »
If there's ever a day that justifies comfort food then this is it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #11595 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:45:06 pm »
I played the role of the plucky cyclist battling the wind (which, incidentally, was a headwind both ways) and its friend the horizontal rain. The Lake Of Pigs had become a chain of lakes, and every lane had chutney and or sand and mud tide lines. Not quite a PW, but definitely the slowest day since records began. Obviously when stopped to cross the main road a convoy of Lorries passed, which deposited additional muddy spray. Roll on spring.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11596 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:48:49 pm »
Sounds horrid.

I'd reccomend you put the bike away till spring.

Just chuck it in the back of the garage wet, it'll be fine for a few months.

« Reply #11597 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:58:43 pm »
By the time I made it home it changed to something with chips washed down with beer.  Comfort food FTW!

XL'ent!
 :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #11598 on: 21 November, 2012, 11:57:01 pm »
Wet.  Very very wet.

And I think I  actually got a very slight contact to a pannier from a passing HGV this morning.  I had just wheeled my bike out from the school playground onto the road, checked behind and set off.  Unfortunately a foot slipped on a pedal so it was, in fairness, a bit slowly.  The HGV passed the parked coach on the road several metres behind me and then pulled back in for the pinch point.  Despite my presence.  I braked.  By the time his back wheels were 2 or 3 metres in front of me they were also on the double yellows.

I swore, quite loudly.

Hope they hadn't started loading the kids onto the coach by then, or they all might have heard "Miss" say something she really isn't supposed to....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11599 on: 22 November, 2012, 05:54:55 am »
Nasty.  Glad 'Miss' is OK.
Getting there...