Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500034 times)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #11625 on: 22 November, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »
Well, I got changed, got on the bike, rode round the corner out of the car park and then found myself blown in front of a car on the other side of the road. Sod that! I got the bus. Sorry guys. We seem to have a stray hurricane.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Phil W

« Reply #11626 on: 22 November, 2012, 11:12:01 pm »
Cycling into the teeth of a gale tonight. Should have suspected something when I cycled into work and was cruising on the flat at 29 mph without anymore effort than normal.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11627 on: 22 November, 2012, 11:15:36 pm »
Took an hour and a half to cover what I normally do in an hour.  Fierce gusts like being punched, and I nearly got taken out by a flying sign.
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #11628 on: 23 November, 2012, 08:50:12 am »
Absolutely stunning cloud formation at around 6.15 am in London's eastern sky.  The glow of the soon to rise sun had lightened up one half of the sky to a cold,glistening, pale, bluey grey, while a solid mass of black rain cloud was slowly drifting away across the other half, leaving an effect at its edge reminiscent of black ink dispersing in water.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #11629 on: 23 November, 2012, 08:53:03 am »
‘morning Joan. Eleven minutes late, power problems between Tonbridge and Hildenborough </Reggie>.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11630 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:10:01 am »
What a difference a day makes.  Today's ride in via the longer convoluted way was just beautiful.  (For certain Birmingham values of beautiful)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #11631 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:31:48 am »

:o

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #11632 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:59:01 am »
Endured a low-speed bike-car interface.  No damage.  Post-school-run SMIDSY* that would have been avoided if I hadn't vocalised my frustration at being crept-out-just-in-front-of, encouraging the (startled) driver to brake, which I hadn't really anticipated  :-[ , (though this did tend to confirm that their driving was consistent with a certain degree of stupidity, as I had just rather loudly suggested).  Driver was mortified and I felt guilty the rest of the way to work.  :-\

Other lessons learned:
  • I may be less visible in the yellow gilet than the black
  • Spa Cycles build a good wheel/Rigida Sputniks are not made of cheese
  • Cycle path leaf mold spray does not enhance braking

* - driver looked and crept out anyway;

« Reply #11633 on: 23 November, 2012, 11:10:07 am »
I thought I was doing really well as I turned my back on Bacon Sandwiches from Diss station caff. Unfortunately 10 minutes on St. Owmarket station meant I succumbed to their rolls. Damn.

Come the new year (ish) I'll be doing train-assist every day. I really really really hope Needham Market has no station shops.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11634 on: 23 November, 2012, 11:41:16 am »
Not nearly as windy today as yesterday, and no 'discussions' with taxis, so me happy. :)

To the young woman with a well-formed posterior who I briefly followed this morning: consider some mudguards.  That muddy stripe up the middle of your backside is a bit :sick:, especially first thing in the morning.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #11635 on: 23 November, 2012, 11:43:34 am »
To the young woman with a well-formed posterior who I briefly followed this morning: consider some mudguards.  That muddy stripe up the middle of your backside is a bit :sick:, especially first thing in the morning.

Are you sure it was mud? There's a lot of bugs about at the moment you know...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11636 on: 23 November, 2012, 11:50:26 am »

Are you sure it was mud? There's a lot of bugs about at the moment you know...

It continued up her jacket.  If it wasn't mud I hope she was on her way to a hospital!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11637 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »
Not commuting, I was actually on the way to buy a whistling kettle, but... I was overtaken away from the lights by a fast Mamil type. He rocketed off, got stuck behind a refuse truck, and then went straight over a zebra crossing where a blind person - with white stick - was waiting to cross. I stopped, caught up with him anyway and overtook him on the next hill. What was he wearing, this white-stick-not-seeing be-lycraed chap? Livestrong three-quarters...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11638 on: 23 November, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »
Just nearly hit a cycling pensioner while driving - he was riding in a dangerous cycle lane on a small roundabout, that puts you right in the blind spot of drivers...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=street+map+google+east+grinstead&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=google&hnear=0x47df58434716977f:0xbbc01566a55eaa4f,East+Grinstead,+West+Sussex&ei=lP2vUOTMN-HK0QXXtYGoBA&ved=0CLABELYD
Note the insane cycle lane that encourages you to ride right across all the cars' path...  >:(

I was waiting to turn left as he rode past me on the left into my path. Stopped to have a friendly word and to apologise, and explained why the cycle lane is sometimes the worst place to be. Suggested he take the lane instead... He claimed I wasn't indicating (fair enough if I wasn't... But silly to trust that!) but that after 60 years cycling he knows what he's doing. ::-) oh well. No conflict and no car horns used

Yesterday I was nearly left-hooked by a taxi turning across the stupidly designed  CS7 at Southwark Bridge Road/ Marshalsea. He was indicating as he drew alongside and we passed an amber light together. His horn was used and verbal abuse was traded... Taxi driver  impatience combined with me foolishly using blue tarmac...  :P

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #11639 on: 23 November, 2012, 04:02:41 pm »
I really really really hope Needham Market has no station shops.

From what I recall, Needham Market has no station anything!  Even stopping trains are a rare sight.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11640 on: 23 November, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »
Couple of ludicrously close passes.  Ah, the B1228....

But also a plenty of thoughtful considerate drivers sharing nicely.  And no hip pain!  That's the furthest I've ridden in a day without it hurting for weeks.  Little victories.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11641 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »
I beat the guy from Crinkly's bike shop in a commuter race  :smug:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11642 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:20:28 pm »
What?  To the back of the shop and back?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LindaG

« Reply #11643 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:32:17 pm »
Cut up by a convoy of souped up Novas on the Roundabout in Thornaby tonight. Othereise lots of consideate drivers. My first commute since they changed my wrking hours and that 20 minute difference means it's so much jusier on the roads. The nemesis roundabout was just awful.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11644 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:34:42 pm »
Nice cup of tea, LG?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11645 on: 23 November, 2012, 09:52:21 pm »
What?  To the back of the shop and back?

Nope, our paths coincided on the way home, from one set of red lights to the next. 

LindaG

« Reply #11646 on: 24 November, 2012, 09:08:19 am »
Coming home this morning was, er, interesting.  I walked most gingerly to my bike locker as I realised the rain overnight had now frozzed into a slick of ice coating everything - roads, cars, all covered in a carapace of hard black ice.  My fingers started to nip in my gloves before I even unlocked the bike.  I toyed with phoning Crusty to come and get me, but then I remembered my counsellor Alex saying in his lovely accent, 'Every time you avoid what you fear, you make it worse next time.  And every time you face your fear, and overcome it, you make it easier next time."  I've ridden home in these conditions a hundred times.  Time to do it again.

I walked my bike to the bit of site road that had been driven over sufficient to make an ice-free path in the secondary line, and once I hit the main ish roads things were mostly OK.  I was still riding quite slowly though, in places standing water in potholes and puddles was still frozen and with the Saturday morning numpties making close passes I had no choice but to ride over them.  I mounted the cycle path in my usual place and realised that was a mistake PDQ, and with pictures of poor Eccentrica Gallumbits in my head I walked my bike back onto the road where at least the surface was rideable, even if the natives are hostile. 

Half a mile from home I found myself saying 'This is bad.  This is really bad."  I was riding on thick black ice.  I used the curve in the road to make a line to the grass verge, where I dismounted and walked the rest of the way home.  The bike was sliding all over the place on the road and the path.  Horribly icy.

I did it though.  A point to me, I think.  Getting a lift tonight.

« Reply #11647 on: 24 November, 2012, 09:49:56 am »
Glad you are safe, Linda but riding on ice- please, just don't do it!  I'm not sure that's what your counsellor had in mind!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11648 on: 24 November, 2012, 10:22:51 am »
Well done LindaG, but if you are going to ride in those conditions I really would recommend spiked tyres like Marathon winters.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11649 on: 24 November, 2012, 10:42:01 am »
I iz ver' proud of my friend. But yeah, marathon winters pls.