Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500084 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1600 on: 16 June, 2010, 07:52:05 am »

Why does the nutter always sit next to me on the bus!? :thumbsup:

Never a problem for me.
I am the nutter on the bus.  :)

[Monty Python's Most Famous Film - parodied for comic effect]
No, I'm the nutter on the bus!
[\Monty Python's Most Famous Film]

Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1601 on: 16 June, 2010, 09:16:28 am »
Why does the nutter always sit next to me on the bus!? :thumbsup:

You're not offensive enough. For example, to continue this story: I rode back to the Oxford Tube stop at Shepherd's Bush but was caught by a freezing February downpour. Already quite chilled from my swim, and already wearing what had been my change of dry clothes, I was soaked through again and had to pull out the waterproofs from my bag and put them on for a wetsuit warmth. I'd washed some of the silt out in the rowing club showers but they were still full of the river Thames and "the thrilling-sweet, the rotten, unforgettable, unforgotten river-smell".

I loaded my bike onto the coach and by the time I boarded there were exactly two seats left in a bus crowded with umbrellas and winter coats. Two happy busriders, in smug dry clothing, were guarding their personal extra spaces with bags and hostility, each understandably keen to put me off going anywhere near them.

I loomed up foetid and dripping like the Creature From The Black Lagoon and pointed out that unless they moved to sit together, I would have to sit next to one of them. They took the point and I got two seats to myself all the way home.
Not especially helpful or mature

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1602 on: 16 June, 2010, 09:32:04 am »
London:

There is no dark

There is no privacy

There is no quiet.

:(
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1603 on: 16 June, 2010, 09:36:13 am »
I took the Woodrup this morning, because I felt like a bit of a quicker ride.

The headwind had other ideas, but I had fun anyway.

Just before the last turn, a lad wandered into the road, looking the other way, but not one glance at what was coming up the lane he was in.  As I braked hard, I boomed

I'd look before stepping into the road if I were you!

His mates indulged in pointing and laughing, and will probably continue to do so. ;D

Good thing I wasn't in a car.  He wouldn't be able to feel the shame.  Or anything else.
Getting there...

« Reply #1604 on: 16 June, 2010, 10:29:21 am »
An uneventul ride into Leeds city centre this morning, which is a rare thing. Sun shining, roads relatively quiet and I got to pick up some shiny bike parts from the sorting office on the way. Nice.
Stop analysing Strava and cut your hedge...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1605 on: 16 June, 2010, 10:37:55 am »
Yes, a woman driver tried to kill me on the A202 this morning by turning left on me (having a princess on board sign does give the level of intelligence away). Fortunately - I think it was the combination of my Nessa-Shanessa 'O' yell that stopped her from missing me  >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1606 on: 16 June, 2010, 10:41:34 am »
...the combination of my Nessa-Shanessa 'O' yell ...

Eh?

Maybe I don't want to know... :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #1607 on: 16 June, 2010, 11:44:02 am »
Yes, a woman driver tried to kill me on the A202 this morning by turning left on me (having a princess on board sign does give the level of intelligence away). Fortunately - I think it was the combination of my Nessa-Shanessa 'O' yell that stopped her from missing me  >:(

Stopped her from hitting you, surely?

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1608 on: 16 June, 2010, 11:53:01 am »
...the combination of my Nessa-Shanessa 'O' yell ...

Eh?

Maybe I don't want to know... :-\

Hee-hee my Nessa-Shanessa yell is serious business, combined with its welsh pronounciation and loud delivery it seems to stand out in the bad-lands of South-east Lahndahn.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1609 on: 16 June, 2010, 08:57:22 pm »
On the exit from Walworth Rd RAB (less than 1km from work), I was passing the roadworks and I got pinged by some gravel from a car wheel.  It went 'Poing' off my front wheel.  Exactly the way spokes oughtn't.  Then there was a ticking sound on the way home.  Sure enough, when I got home (18km later), I found I had a broken spoke. :(

Still went out for a short ride with TGL, mind ;)
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1610 on: 16 June, 2010, 10:20:36 pm »
Heading home via the Innocent, climbing the Tunnel, found a woman who had come off her bike going down the Tunnel. Her friend was with her and they both said she was ok and didn't need any help so I left them to it, but she's lucky. It could have been really nasty. As it is, she's going to have great scabs to pick.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1611 on: 16 June, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »
En route home, came to the off-road farm track which I sometimes use.  The sign says 'No motor vehicles 0700-1000, 1600-1900,' with an exception for agricultural vehicles.  It's a rat run, of course - but it is a real farm track, and a real farmer uses it.  It's about 1755.

So... entering the lane were a private hire taxi, a Vauxhall Ugly Agila in a nasty shade of green, and myself.  Round the turn we go and... oh dear.  There appears to be a hyooge tractor, with spikes and gore and all sorts of evil things hanging off it, heading towards us.  I can see it's a hiding to nothing, the lane is narrow at that point, so I whip round and head back out to the wider section (a three way junction) to await the reversing cars and the tractor.

Pause.

Ok, here's the taxi, happy chap with a big grin on his face.  He reverses past me (I'm standing in a gateway) and around the corner out of the way.  He leans out of his side window and shouts to me "She won't reverse out!"

Me: "Whut...?"

Cue ten minutes of audible heated argument from up the road.  A VW beetle arrives and we wave the driver off - he goes back to the road and disappears.  A 4X4 turns up, we stop him too, and give him the glad tidings.  I can now see the vehicles backed up behind the tractor - at least three or four cars and a van.  Ho hum.

Pause.

Sounds of reversing car.  Angry shouting.  Vauxhall Ugly reverses out, followed by tractor and comet-tail of cars and vans, with a woman hanging out of the window whilst reversing and shouting abuse at the tractor driver.  Her teenage son is in the passenger seat joining in.  We're all laughing like drains, which for some reason makes her even angrier.

It seems a shame that someone gifted with such an anger management problem should also be blessed with so little brain that
a. She doesn't know that she had no right to be on that bit of road in the first place, and
b. She has terrible taste in cars.

The taxi driver looked over to me and said "Who does she think she is, Cruella De Vil...?"

Sadly, I was so engrossed in the whole spectacle that I clean forgot to take pictures, although that may be a good thing, as I think that might have made her head explode.   ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1612 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:02:53 am »
I ended riding with a friendly ozzie from Oxford Circus to Ealing as we were both stopping at the red lights. We had a chat, a laugh at the BSM Instructor who almost took him out, the state of the world, the s**ding easterly going home last night. Most unusual, most pleasant.

« Reply #1613 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:32:15 am »
I hope that the North-Easterly that has been blowing against me for the last couple of days buggers off.  The ride home has been faster, and easier, but it doesn't make up for the effort of getting in!

Last night it wasn't that cold, but the wind blowing fast felt a bit brisk when I was leaving work.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1614 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:37:11 am »
Slow ride in today.  Balham Hill was humiliating.  Not shabby speedwise, but, with headwind, long queues of traffic at narrow points, and lots of roadworks (these last two may be related), it was over an hour door to door. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #1615 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:41:05 am »
I've been pondering the seasonality of road kill. June is ickle baby wabbits and big fat hedgehogs. Round here, anyway.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1616 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:47:08 am »
The run across London this morning just seemed to flow.  Lights changed as I rolled up, gaps in stationary traffic at lights appeared in just the right places to aid my filtering. 

I even managed to filter up to one place behind the head of the queue at Holborn circus and catch a "sprint lead-out" style tow from the Bus in front as I accelerated onto High Holborn, before darting out from behind to take the points ;)

I had a huge smile ;D :smug: as I folded the bike to go into the office.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1617 on: 17 June, 2010, 08:38:04 pm »
On my way home today, I swore:

At the wind
At the potholes in the  Uxbridge Road
At the wind
At stupid drivers who cant signal
At the wind
At the stupid girl who filtered inside a bendy
At the wind
At the stupid cyclists who cant behave or ride
Did I mention the wind?

« Reply #1618 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:44:27 pm »
I have found my new commuting route home:

Frimley - Frimley Green - Deepcut - Knaphill (via the Basingstoke Canal) - Chobham - S'dale. 15mile of rural roads with a beautiful section of towpath included.

Just a pity about the headwind this evening and the current roadworks in Knaphill.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1619 on: 17 June, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »
I even managed to filter up to one place behind the head of the queue at Holborn circus and catch a "sprint lead-out" style tow from the Bus in front as I accelerated onto High Holborn, before darting out from behind to take the points ;)

I had one of those bus moments last week - manage to catch it as it pulled away from a stop and got a tow from Welling to Bexleyheath (about 2 miles?) at over 40km/h all the way. One of those lucky breaks where it was on a clear main road with no passengers waiting at stops. Just cruised along without feeling I was making the slightest effort. Ruddy marvellous.

Moments like that make up for times like tonight when I was grinding into a stiff headwind all the way home...  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1620 on: 17 June, 2010, 11:06:45 pm »
Another couple of none eventful, yet enjoyable rides.  :smug:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1621 on: 17 June, 2010, 11:17:54 pm »
This week, I have been mostly smiling and saying hello.  I decided to say hello, or grin lots, or say something cheerful, to all the cyclists that I see on my commute.  I'm the nutter on the bus in the ASL, I am. 

But they've nearly all said hello back :)

« Reply #1622 on: 18 June, 2010, 09:24:02 am »
Rode in on the proper bike today. Whew it's soooo much faster.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1623 on: 18 June, 2010, 09:43:33 am »
Does the school run count assuming it's done onna bike.
Assuming so, g.d. & I have done the school run onna tandem each day this week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1624 on: 18 June, 2010, 09:47:12 am »
Course it does! :thumbsup:
Getting there...