Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2500199 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #6100 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:05:10 am »
Rode in with Butterfly for an early start.  Even with a bit of backstreet bimbling, we managed 25kph.  Nice clear roads in the main, and very few numpties about.

Well, there were a couple of them on bikes.  But nothing too desperate.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6101 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:30:58 pm »
Set a new record for the ride from my house to the station this morning, breaking the 9 minute barrier for the first time, average speed just shy of 30km/h.

Of course, I would have needed to break the 8 minute barrier to actually catch my train...  :facepalm:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #6102 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:45:48 pm »
I was really annoyed by the weather forecast this morning.  Local and National forecast on BBC breakfast implied it would be pissing down and very cold.  So I put on my rain jacket before I left the house.  After a few miles I overheating, the sky was overcast but no sign of rain and not that cold.  As I continued there was the occasional drop but nothing to make me wear the coat. 

Serves me right for not using the looking out the window forecast. 

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #6103 on: 17 June, 2011, 01:18:38 pm »
I went with the looking-out-the-window forecast and wore a short-sleeved jersey.  Would have been sweating in a waterproof.

Had great racing legs, this morning, despite not having breakfast till arriving at work.  The workings of my body mistify me.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #6104 on: 17 June, 2011, 01:40:05 pm »
I went with the looking-out-the-window forecast and wore a short-sleeved jersey.  Would have been sweating in a waterproof.

Had great racing legs, this morning, despite not having breakfast till arriving at work.  The workings of my body mistify me.

I've been suffering lately with breakfast - never had any issues eating before riding until v recently but find if I do have breakfast before I leave I am very uncomfortable for the first 10 - 12 miles. If I don't eat I end up bonking towards the end, especially if I ride lively. Tried a variant yesterday which was to have a rest  in Hyde park and chew an oaty-fruity bar. Seemed to work and was rather fun.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #6105 on: 17 June, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »
And then the squirrels attack!

Sorry, my embattled commuter mindset getting the better of me again ;).
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #6106 on: 17 June, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »
^^ True example.  On the last FNRttC to Southend, while stopped to regroup in I forget which town, a couple of girls asked us which charity we were supporting.  "We're not doing this for charity."  "Well, you should be!"

LOL, I remember that, however I also can't remember where it was!
Actually, it is rocket science.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #6107 on: 17 June, 2011, 02:32:00 pm »
Felt distinctly out of sorts this morning in my head. All the usual power in my limbs abut absolutely no desire at all to use it. I pootled along, watching cyclist after cyclist overtake me (I swear one was on a unicycle) and looked gloomy.

It might be the impedning soaking which forecasters are er...forecasting in the London area this afternoon, that's bringing me down but I usually have little or no issue with getting wet (especially on the return journey where I KNOW I can dry off at the other end).

On the upside, all the other cyclists looked happy enough.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

« Reply #6108 on: 17 June, 2011, 02:37:15 pm »
^^ True example.  On the last FNRttC to Southend, while stopped to regroup in I forget which town, a couple of girls asked us which charity we were supporting.  "We're not doing this for charity."  "Well, you should be!"

LOL, I remember that, however I also can't remember where it was!

Brentwood. Methinks. We were there forever....

« Reply #6109 on: 17 June, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »
Neoprene, Goretex and Rainlegs to the rescue today.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6110 on: 17 June, 2011, 10:29:10 pm »
Hmm.  If this is what it's like being an optimist, I'm giving it up.

I got away early from work, and thought the weather forecast was being a bit downbeat.  I had to meet TGL in town, so I went for a ride round.  Up to Hyde Park, where the light drizzle had turned into a shower, then down through Knightsbridge (Arse! Exhibition Road is very closed :( ) and through to Fulham Rd, where I found a cafe to shelter from what had become rain.

Moving on, I rode along Embankment to the Cafe, but didn't stop, turned round and rode back to Chelsea Bridge, through Battersea Park and across to Clapham Junction.  The rain was getting heavy now, so I went inside.

After having another tea with TGL, I set off to ride home, but the precipitation had gone beyond what could reasonably be described as rain.  The roads were flowing, there were standing puddles and standing motor traffic getting in the way, leading to over-aggressive pillockry from our motorised brethren.

I bailed.  I'm not one to bail normally, but I bailed to Balham station.  I could just imagine Tooting's drivers, with their free jazz interpretations of Give Way, and the low part of my route which builds up puddles which reach right across the lane, meaning you can easily get a total soaking from an inattentive wanker in a car passing too close and too fast.

Just wasn't worth it.

Tomorrow, I shall return to my usual pessimistic demeanour.  That way, I'm not going to be disappointed, am I?
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #6111 on: 18 June, 2011, 10:47:02 am »
It was raining properly by the time I left work yesterday, and there was a stinking headwind, but I decided to just enjoy the ride anyway. And so I did. When I reached Bromley, I had some time before my train so popped into the chippy for some warming sustenance. Sat in my wet clothes on the train for an hour, cursing the train air conditioning but otherwise happy, then got another soaking on my way home from the station this end. Arrived home somewhat bedraggled but deeply happy in the way that only riding your bike can make you feel.

d.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6112 on: 18 June, 2011, 01:57:28 pm »
Amidst the deluge last night I was nearly sideswiped by a woman driving along with a baby sitting on her knee.  And I mean a baby - perhaps about 6 months old.  Unbelievable!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #6113 on: 18 June, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »
... through Knightsbridge (Arse! Exhibition Road is very closed :( ...

Exhibition Road, and the approaches to South Kensington Station have been buggered up to some extent for a couple of years, and I think that's it'll be until at least the end of this year before they finish, if not longer. :-\

I was worried a bit about what effect the project would have on access to work, but I've got so used to avoiding that part of South Ken, that it won't make a lot of difference now, if I need to continue to use alternative routes!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6114 on: 18 June, 2011, 05:54:20 pm »
I had naively assumed that, because I'd heard of the works a long time ago, it would probably be clear by now :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #6115 on: 18 June, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »
They do seem to be taking an absolute age to complete it all.  I think bits of Exhibition Road are still two way, but sections are one way, and it changes every so often, so the whole area is best avoided.  I'm not even sure currently how bad the route along Exhibition Road is, and whether I can get across the junction with Cromwell Road, I'm just generally keeping away from the area.  Luckily (sort of) I don't need to use it at the moment!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6116 on: 20 June, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »
Waking up at 03:30 for no good reason is not conducive to a cycle commute, but did manage to use a Boris Bike this morning.

After work had to head up to Hoxton from the City before going on to Whitechapel, so I used a BB again.  In the rain.  In my full office clobber, no jacket.  I got utterly drenched.  And I loved it.  ;D

Saw lots of miserable looking people on bikes, but I was smiling ear to ear.

In spite of the fun this evening, I think I'll be back to my usual commuting style tomorrow.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6117 on: 20 June, 2011, 08:55:13 pm »
Very wet on the way home again, but yeah, it was fun.  I could tire of it after a while, you know, but it's OK for now...
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #6118 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:25:12 pm »
Yup, got soaked again but had a very pleasant ride. Arrived at Bromley to bump into my colleague getting off the train (he lives there). Funnily enough, I also bumped into him at Bromley station on Friday, and I was soaked then too. He must think I'm mental. :)

d.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #6119 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:18:15 pm »
The path from Bass Rec to the riverside path is shut for rebuilding for a further 4 weeks.  So I use the road - Pride Parkway.

I slipstreamed an empty double-decker bus from the road-junction-that-used-to-be-the-Cock-Pit-roundabout most of the way up the bridge over the railway line.  30mph on the flat bit, with the speed melting away to 15mph at the summit.  Usually I'm doing 8mph all the way up.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6120 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:26:20 pm »
I had a couple of cracking rides today: decided to go to work the Slightly Long route and took a detour by the river and Millennium Bridge, just because I felt like it.

Did more or less the same on the way home, albeit via the station so I could pick up the requisite bits of orange cardboard for Thursday night's pub ride. The downside was the hipster singularity around York Station - get some brakes or get the fuck off the road, seriously. I wish I could put my boot up the arse of every single one of them but I'd run out of feet in short order.

The up-side of all this was leaving some floppy-haired fakenger idiot flailing in my wake as I accelerated away from the lights at Skeldergate on bright orange bike with a 71" gear, two brakes, mudguards *and* a saddlebag ;D

citoyen

« Reply #6121 on: 20 June, 2011, 11:00:34 pm »
There was a chap on a lovely Wilier Triestina I was playing leapfrog with through Denmark Hill and Dulwich but I completely blew him away on Fountain Drive. Most satisfying. :smug:

Can't claim a win though cos of the Rapha-Condor rider who breezed past me halfway up looking like he was making absolutely no effort. The sod!

d.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6122 on: 21 June, 2011, 07:25:03 am »
Somewhere about the half way mark on this morning's trip in my cranky old grid reached the 20,000 mile mark.  Actually, more accurately, bits of my cranky old grid reached the 20,000 mile mark. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #6123 on: 21 June, 2011, 07:49:45 am »
Had a little pootle through the park this morning. 

It was thankfully free of mobile poo producers and I spotted a sparrowhawk, looking at me all regal and imperious.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6124 on: 21 June, 2011, 08:05:18 am »
Rode in with Butterfly this morning.  Very fast in parts, and more cyclists than I normally see on an early commute, which was great.

The only downside was that Butterfly's chain unshipped three times in all - once in the middle of Oval junction! :o

It needs some time spent adjusting and testing :(

But a grand ride nonetheless.
Getting there...