Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 106922 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
I would advise weighing them down with some ballast though - some old paving blocks do the trick in the family's!

I just came off the phone with East Midlands rail to reserve a bike space for a return trip to Sheffield in May for All Points North. I'd already decided which trains I wanted to use.

The call took 26 minutes.

FFS.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
My son has destroyed what were I think my first pair of cycling-specific full-finger gloves. It would have been the winter of either 2000/01 or 01/02 I bought them. In addition to whatever I put on them, they've served him two winters of paper round, so I'm satisfied.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Rode along with a tandem crew  for a couple of minutes , just before Traquair village ( nr Peebles ) .The pilot looked at my bike and said " oh i see you have Spa cycles chain rings fitted I work for them " .I replied " I Though Spa cycles were one of the last decent tourist cycle shops left . He thanked me then we parted . Dear God  He must live on carrots to spot that  or if you don a VC167  Top  do you get super human powers .
Its More Fun With Three .

Bugger !!! I was hoping he was called " The Bicycle Repair man " , and  would vanish in to a phone box at the mere sight of a broken touring bike . Don the VC167 Top  and be able to fix   knackered   rohloff hubs with only gaffer tape and  choice words . I should stop eating foreign food it do weird things to my head .That Scots pie and Iron brew at  Selkirk was a bad choice , tasty but bad .   
Its More Fun With Three .

A usanian bike mechanic mate has a blog and recently wrote this, in relation to bike engineering, which I thought might chime with a few here

....looking back over my life I realize that I have lost every war I was ever in. The industry sold its soul to planned obsolescence in the 1990s, and the addicts who depend on it live in a world viewed through their perceived need.

MiniDisk and Betamax never took off outside of people who needed to use them for a living, either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Objection: Minidisc was a successful consumer product, for the few short years between its 1996 renaissance and Moore's Law rendering it obsolete.  Just not in the way the record companies hoped.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Still use minidisc... In the car.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Objection: Minidisc was a successful consumer product, for the few short years between its 1996 renaissance and Moore's Law rendering it obsolete.  Just not in the way the record companies hoped.
I always thought Minidisc was the size (or slightly smaller than) the size CDs should have been. if the apocyphal sony boss had preferred a shorter classical piece:
given that Sony made the cassette tape walkman which fitted nicely in (most?) human hands  it seems a pity they did not consider the size of portable players: a five inch wide player is just awkward:
if a even 4in disc could have done 45-50 mins..... perhaps the BBC could have licenced them a 16bit 48khz nicam?

and if all the studio equipment used 48khz then use 48khz sample rate on CD....

The story I'd heard was that the CD was intended to go into the slot for a standard car radio.
Don't think anyone had even thought about making them portable.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Obligatory link to the pocket size Sony CD player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AowJGns66_4

44.1 KHz was derived from early systems that stored digital audio on video tapes. I think 48 KHz came later.

Obligatory link to the pocket size Sony CD player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AowJGns66_4

44.1 KHz was derived from early systems that stored digital audio on video tapes. I think 48 KHz came later.

We had a couple of those, they had recording capability, too, along with astonishing run time off a single AA

Objection overruled. The Minidisc never got much traction in the consumer market, although it was ubiquitous in the pro market, much in the way Betamax fared. I suspect (?) that the consumer Betamax peak (which almost certainly exceeded the Minidisc market share) probably occurred earlier in your life, making it less evident? Only a suggestion.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Objection overruled. The Minidisc never got much traction in the consumer market, although it was ubiquitous in the pro market, much in the way Betamax fared. I suspect (?) that the consumer Betamax peak (which almost certainly exceeded the Minidisc market share) probably occurred earlier in your life, making it less evident? Only a suggestion.

I didn't even have a telly until Betamax had failed.  One of my brother's friends parents had one, which was considered a tragic novelty.

But in my teens I watched Minidisc go from a convenient alternative to Fidelipac and hand-spliced open reel tape for theatre and radio, to the preferred portable music format amongst my peers[1].  What was notable was that (outside the studio) this was almost entirely portables[2], and I think I saw a pre-recorded Minidisc in the wild once.

That may not have been reflected in overall market share, but I expect it would have replaced cassette, with cheap recorders becoming ubiquitous, if MP3 and flash memory hadn't rendered them irrelevant in the early 2000s.  It was a good tech, with natural consumer appeal.  The main barrier was price (not least because you effectively needed a CD player to go with it).  I had a conversation recently with a friend (a few years younger than me) who called me 'retro' for having a cassette walkman in secondary school - I think she straddled the transition from MD and mainstream CD-R to MP3 players.

(AIUI Sony shot themselves in the foot by making the data version deliberately incompatible with the music discs; they might otherwise have scooped up the Zip disk market too.)

[1] Tech-savvy middle class teenagers.  A few were unfortunate enough to have already invested in portable CD players.  Cassette remained popular amongst those who weren't that interested in music, had access to a car, or didn't want an expensive walkman.
[2] I knew a couple of people at university had integrated sound systems with a MD recorder, and then a playback-only walkman.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Rode along with a tandem crew  for a couple of minutes , just before Traquair village ( nr Peebles ) .The pilot looked at my bike and said " oh i see you have Spa cycles chain rings fitted I work for them " .I replied " I Though Spa cycles were one of the last decent tourist cycle shops left . He thanked me then we parted . Dear God  He must live on carrots to spot that  or if you don a VC167  Top  do you get super human powers .

Jan and I hired a Thorn tandem in that area from a guy called Christopher Rainbow quite a few years ago. I think it was before we bought our Thorn, so that would probably have been the summer of 2006. I wonder if he is still in business? I think he also used to make dulcimers and was a postman in his spare time.

Edit: https://cyclescottishborders.com/attraction/christopher-rainbow-tandem-and-bike-hire/

He still has a web presence!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

.... I watched Minidisc go from a convenient alternative to Fidelipac and hand-spliced open reel tape for theatre and radio, to the preferred portable music format amongst my peers

And there you have it. It reflects well on you showing your somewhat exclusive perspective, but I'd have a shilling on the side that there are close to zero readers* who even knew that Fidelipac was a thing. QED.

*outside of those involved in broadcast of some nature

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
.... I watched Minidisc go from a convenient alternative to Fidelipac and hand-spliced open reel tape for theatre and radio, to the preferred portable music format amongst my peers

And there you have it. It reflects well on you showing your somewhat exclusive perspective, but I'd have a shilling on the side that there are close to zero readers* who even knew that Fidelipac was a thing. QED.

I don't see what that proves:  For my peers, Minidisc was something new that was invented in 1996.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
One of my ex-bosses was still having minidisc players installed into his BMW company cars as an option in or around 2006, just so he didn't have to throw his collection away
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Happy anniversary to me! Well, not quite, but according to Strava, on 27th April it will be exactly one year since my last 'proper' bike ride - ie cycling as a leisure/sporting activity, for its own sake, rather than primarily for utility purposes. That ride a year ago was my aborted attempt at the Oasts & Coasts 300 - a 290km DNF, including the ride to the start. (I don't think my 16km ride last week counts because that was mainly for the purpose of buying beer.)

I was getting close to being ready to get out there again until the lockdown kicked in... and now I don't feel any great desire to be out on the roads.

Might spend this weekend doing some maintenance on the MTB so I can go out on the trails at least.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rather frivolous by comparison, i realised today now much i miss having a compass on a bike. (I used to have one on a bell, but that bell didn't fit the new bike.)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Encountered a group of three mountain bikers while walking the dog this morning. They were coming the other way down the trail I was following.

The leader of the group was in the process of picking himself up off the ground. He had ducked to ride under a tree that had fallen across the path, but that tree was obscuring his view of a second fallen tree behind it... ouch!

He seemed fine. I was concerned about the possibility of concussion but he seemed more concerned about grazed limbs.

After negotiating the fallen trees themselves and helping him up, his two companions carried on without waiting for him, so I guess they weren't too bothered either.  ::-)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/52283598

Just thought this was an interesting g article on cycling culture
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

Road space redistribution in Leicester.
"With traffic in the city having fallen to a fraction of its usual levels, highways bosses at Leicester City Council have created a temporary cycle route by coning off one lane of Aylestone Road between its junction with Almond Road and its junction with Welford Road, outside the Tigers rugby ground.
https://road.cc/content/news/better-painting-bloody-rainbows-road-273059

Cudzoziemiec

That nice Mr Boardman's influence extends to India (even though they get his name wrong).