Author Topic: Wheel centred in fork...  (Read 697 times)

Wheel centred in fork...
« on: 26 July, 2020, 09:17:03 pm »
Why might my front wheel centre in the fork one way but not the other?  So only just recently I've noticed that my front wheel resting/unclamped in the fork (un-clamped) was not properly centred, and I had to centre it by holding & clamping.  So I've turned the wheel around (& rethreaded skewer), and now it is centred prior to clamping.  If wheel is fine I guess the fork is slightly out?  Maybe it always was, and when I put new QR in, I possibly turned the wheel around...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Wheel centred in fork...
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:49:33 pm »
what you describe can only occur if both the wheel dish and the fork geometry are slightly out.  Probably the bike won't ride the same way (or well, in fact) no hands with the wheel in each way.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2020, 12:30:38 am »
Thanks.  I'll try different wheel/fork combinations & see what happens.

« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2020, 12:30:41 pm »
Tried three other wheels in forks.  Still not sure what's up, but inclined to just carry on with same wheel in better orientation; perhaps '1+mm' off.

One other wheel (A) seemed very similar, others slightly less out, but not perfect (my eyeballing & rough measurments may not be ideal*).  Existing wheel & A, also similar in different 531 fork.

« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2020, 11:56:18 am »
65 years ago I had this problem with a JRJ (predecessor of Bob Jackson) frame.Reassessment of the frame by a local frame builder (Thompson of Heeley,Sheffield) elucidated that one fork blade was 1/8th inch longer than the other.Removal of 1/8th from the inside of the dropout cured the problem.