Author Topic: Tourer/Audax  (Read 10537 times)

Tourer/Audax
« on: 07 April, 2011, 08:42:54 am »
I'm in the market for a fast tourer/ audax machine and was considering the Sabbath Silk Route.
Comments/ advice please.

Re: Tourer/Audax
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2011, 11:28:26 am »
I think most randonneurs would choose the September instead, which is a very nice frame.  There are other well thought of ti manufacturers as well, and a lot of people here have them.  Enigma and Van Nicholas are frames I've had first hand experience of, both of which seemed well-made.  I remain an 853 steel man personally.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2011, 11:54:32 am »
There's a whole thread listing titanium bike makers here.

I can't praise Sabbath highly enough. I bought a September and my review of it is here. (The company was called Sunday back then.)
Rust never sleeps

Alouicious

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2011, 12:11:34 pm »
Before Audax became popular, they were called 'Light tourers'.

Basically a half decent racebike with salmon profil mudguards and a TA Cyclotourist 42/30 double chainset. Coupled to a 14 - 28 freewheel.

Have a look at the Sabbath in 'Bike stand for my garage' thread. Lovely set up machine... :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »
There are other happy owners of Sabbath Septembers here.

My Enigma Etape seems very well made apart from one of the rack fitting thingies not being quite right (but not so wrong that a rack won't go on straight), & is a joy to ride, but I had some problems with it not being the specified fit, & it took forever to sort out. I've not heard of any such problems with Sabbath.

Another titanium option which I like the look of is the new Spa Cycles titanium audax bike. Let me know what it's like, if you get one. ;) The Condor Gran Fondo is very handsome, but more expensive.

There are more decent steel options than you can shake a stick at.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:21:44 pm »
The Van Nicholas Yukon is also very highly thought of.... and I'll be buying one just as soon as I can get sort the ££

My steel "fast tourer" is frankly not worth any more upgrades.

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:28:07 pm »
Another titanium option which I like the look of is the new Spa Cycles titanium audax bike. Let me know what it's like, if you get one. ;)

I'd noticed the adverts, I'm interested only in that if either of my steel framed Audax bikes dies then it'll be replaced with a Ti frame.

The Condor Gran Fondo is very handsome, but more expensive.

Yes, remember that all Ti frames are not the same. The Condor Gran Fondo is more expensive than most but you're not just paying more for the brand, the frame is lighter than most other Ti frames because it's triple butted.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

AndyH

« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:35:27 pm »
Happy Enigma Etape owner here.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:42:51 pm »
Corridori have a good range of Van Nicholas bikes in stock.  If you can get to Epsom Downs, it's well worth a visit.
Getting there...

AndyH

« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »
& Paul Smith down there is extremely helpful

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »
All part of the package.  Lovely man.  But all the staff are great, and very knowledgeable.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:19:27 pm »
I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Van Nicholas Amazon specced with campag. Should arrive at the end of the month. ;D

« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:23:15 pm »
I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Van Nicholas Amazon specced with campag. Should arrive at the end of the month. ;D

What compnents AAMOI?  Comp Triple with Centaur?

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »

What compnents AAMOI?  Comp Triple with Centaur?

Yes indeed!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:30:26 pm »
Good choice.
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 10 April, 2011, 11:54:15 pm »
My Yukon, when I order it, will be a Campag Comp triple.   I toyed with the idea of SRAM Apex, but after today's Dorset Coast, I've decided that a triple is a necessity !

« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2011, 02:45:36 am »
34/32 is not much different from 30/29, about 3%?  The Comp Triple chainset is very nice and great value, having said that.  It is a very good choice.

« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2011, 06:22:43 am »
Don't forget that with a triple you can fit a smaller granny ring.  I have swapped all three rings on my audax machine to 26/38/48. With a Campag chainset the smallest middle would be 39 I understand.

« Reply #18 on: 11 April, 2011, 07:21:09 am »
Using a Stronglight Oxale Compact from Spa Cycles you can have a 29/29 bottom gear on Campag.
M
Mike