Author Topic: Durham and Northumberland 100  (Read 2712 times)

LindaG

Durham and Northumberland 100
« on: 01 September, 2010, 11:32:27 am »
Well, we posted our entries off yesterday, hoping they'd arrive today (the closing date).  Don't suppose anyone from these parts will be there? 

Weirdy Biker

Re: Durham and Northumberland 100
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2010, 12:45:43 pm »
I've entered the 200km ride, so our paths might cross.

I failed to get around the 200km route a couple of years ago (rather ambitiously, I had ridden the Bowland 200 the day before and was knackered, kept making mistakes with the route and ended up cutting it short and touring back to the start).  Was a bit miffed as the first 50km was awesome - riding over the Durham Moors was stunning in late summer sunshine.  Was also something to see VC167 at play in their own backyard, as it were.

LindaG

« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »
  Was also something to see VC167 at play in their own backyard, as it were.

Oh, I'd forgotten about them!  Don't suppose many of them will be doing the 100 though.

I love cycling in Northumberland.  Getting excited already   :)

« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2010, 05:59:25 pm »
The 200's a great event - I'd be riding it if I was around.  The Impromptu Cafe in Elsdon is wonderful - I remember the owner asking "Are you going up the Gibbet next?", laying down a slab of Gibbet cake and letting out an evil cackle.

But I don't want to give too much away.  It's a tough ride, and a great day out.  There aren't enough rides in this part of the country.

« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »
Durham & Northumberland are the two best counties in England to ride a bike in.

LindaG

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2010, 08:45:45 pm »
The 200's a great event - I'd be riding it if I was around.  The Impromptu Cafe in Elsdon is wonderful - I remember the owner asking "Are you going up the Gibbet next?", laying down a slab of Gibbet cake and letting out an evil cackle.

But I don't want to give too much away.  It's a tough ride, and a great day out.  There aren't enough rides in this part of the country.

We've been to the Impromptu!  Be aware!  It isn't open every day.  When closed it transforms into an anonymous dwelling-place.  I rode round the square three times looking for the place, thinking I'd gone mad   ;D

Definitely recommended, a unique establishment.

« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:36:47 pm »
Aye.
It's just a shame they're so blummin far from where I have to live.

« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »
So how did we all do, then?  Many attendees?

« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »

I assume LG & Crusty did OK...I was their 'emergency call-out breakdown service' and I never got a call!

« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:14:58 pm »

So true!  ;D

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2010, 11:00:00 am »
Great route, one of the best I've done this year.

I was inspired enough to think of a return next year for one of the longer NE SR rides.

« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2010, 09:46:11 pm »
Great route, one of the best I've done this year.

I was inspired enough to think of a return next year for one of the longer NE SR rides.

Do the Lanchester 400.  It's great if you're travelling by public transport (midday start, 10 miles from a station on the East Coast mainline), and the route is breathtaking. 

The Border Raid is nearly as good - a whole lot easier, though.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2010, 07:44:13 am »
Lanchester route does sound interesting but has an X in the facilities.  I'm rather down on the trend for new calendar 400+ events to be put on as "basic" events, so would need to get over that prejudice.  Long time to mull over, given I've not planned past early December.

LindaG

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:01:35 am »

Joe tells me there were 6 on the 100, 12 on the 200.  Sounds like it was a great day.

We DNS'd as some family stuff came up.  It was a real shame, I'd been looking forward to it.  Also I spent a whole day plotting the route on the map.  Ah, well, I might do the ride solo one of these days, since I have the route sheet.  As well as a Memory Map print out  ::-)

Do you Audax grandees think that would be a huge faux-pas?  I wouldn't want to offend anyone!

LindaG

« Reply #14 on: 23 September, 2010, 10:16:21 pm »
OK, so the ride org read the above post and was perfectly happy for us to do the ride.  In fact he gave us advice on some route modifications, if riding on a weekday.

Thanks Joe!   :thumbsup:

So I met newtoncap this morning and we did the circular bit of this ride from Lanchester.  I had such a great time.  The roads are some of the best I've ridden, bar none, and it was HILLY, but so so worth it.  Two excellent cafe controls.  I'm pleased we defied the severe weather warning, because although we both got repeatedly soaked, it wasn't cold, and the autumn skies made the scenery even more spectacular, if that were possible.

I would really like to be fit enough to do the 200 next year, but that is a big ask.  A very, very challenging route, but rewarding.

Very highly recommended.