Author Topic: Hearing aid tips and advice.  (Read 14440 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Hearing aid tips and advice.
« Reply #50 on: 07 August, 2023, 05:06:07 pm »
The sound of my dog's claws clicking along the pavement. I hadn't realised that was a thing.
The noise made by someone reading a newspaper.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #51 on: 07 August, 2023, 06:38:52 pm »
A question for regular users - do you ever get dud batteries in a pack?

No but I have put the dud one back in again by mistake.

« Reply #52 on: 08 August, 2023, 05:50:12 pm »
Is there a standard review period for NHS hearing aids?
I've had mine for about four and a half years now and was wondering whether I need to get in touch about a re-test or whether it happens automatically.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #53 on: 08 August, 2023, 05:58:43 pm »

I think that depends on the local health board.  After about 2 years I asked mine for a review and they offered me new digital aids, which took a year to appear.
Aberdeenshire.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 08 August, 2023, 06:29:32 pm »
A question for regular users - do you ever get dud batteries in a pack?

Not so much, unless you disturb the sticker on an unused one by accident, but you do occasionally get whole batches of crap batteries.  Power One eventually brought out a separate range of batteries for CI/BAHA patients who were getting poor performance from their regular ones.  Other brands seemed not to have this problem.

« Reply #55 on: 16 August, 2023, 05:48:42 am »
Has anybody used this lot?.

https://eshearing.co.uk

Claim to offer high end products at low end prices (which arouses my suspicions straight away, further fuelled by some patchy feedback reviews - i'm always suspicious of gushingly positive reviews), so i'm looking for opinions from anyone who has actually used them?. Good, bad?

I've had age related hearing loss picked up at my annual work medical for several years now (confirmed by an even more recent hearing test) and its getting to the point where i'm going to have to do something about it.

Thanks in advance

A

« Reply #56 on: 16 August, 2023, 07:42:18 am »
Has anybody used this lot?.

https://eshearing.co.uk

Claim to offer high end products at low end prices (which arouses my suspicions straight away, further fuelled by some patchy feedback reviews - i'm always suspicious of gushingly positive reviews), so i'm looking for opinions from anyone who has actually used them?. Good, bad?

I've had age related hearing loss picked up at my annual work medical for several years now (confirmed by an even more recent hearing test) and its getting to the point where i'm going to have to do something about it.

Thanks in advance

A
It appears to be a legitimate company.
There's a couple of things I don't understand though.

First, they appear to claim they are designing and making their own bespoke devices - I find that surprising.

Secondly, while they do have partner resellers they will also sell direct to your. I know from long experience with the NHS that setting up hearing aids is not just a case of 'pump up the volume' - there are subtle frequency adjustments to be made to achieve even basic effectiveness. So how are they allowing for these adjustments? (There's no mention of an app or smart phone linkage) which makes me wonder if they are just amplifiers.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #57 on: 16 August, 2023, 08:33:42 am »
Have you asked your GP first? I asked for a referral and had my hearing tested, and was given hearing aids, all free on NHS.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #58 on: 16 August, 2023, 08:47:50 am »
Have you asked your GP first? I asked for a referral and had my hearing tested, and was given hearing aids, all free on NHS.

I’m going through the GP referral process now, if I understand correctly the NHS offers a limited range so my trawl through the web threw these guys up and I’m exploring and evaluating the wider options available  👍

‘Going private’ can be fearfully expensive, I have discovered

A

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #59 on: 16 August, 2023, 08:56:09 am »
From my limited research private means £1k per ear, or more…

The over the ear Phonak ones I have are made specifically for the NHS and seem pretty good. I don’t know what happens if you need more tech, such as in ear ones.

« Reply #60 on: 16 August, 2023, 09:14:22 pm »

That's what I did, took a year for the first appointment but I walked out of that with aids for both ears, and much improved hearing.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #61 on: 17 August, 2023, 11:43:30 pm »
NHS aids for most people are not bad, especially if you have a common kind of deafness (age related for example).

Just cos they have limited range doesn't mean the quality isn't good. It does tend to depend on what your local NHS entity (IBCs is it now?) commissions.

I would see how NHS works out. Cos if you decide you need something better you're looking at Proper Private with a reputable brand not some randoms like what that smells of. They'll take your money for something that is probably a lot less good than decent NHS provision.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #62 on: 17 August, 2023, 11:52:44 pm »
barakta speaks Teh Sense.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 18 August, 2023, 12:17:02 am »
And if you have a sufficiently serious uncommon kind of deafness, there's a decent chance the NHS will provide whatever non-standard aid is needed.

« Reply #64 on: 28 August, 2023, 02:41:14 pm »
A question to hearing aid users. The interweb appears to indicate a life span of between 3 & 7 years on average for the devices themself. When they fail, what actually breaks? And for the rechargeable types, when the battery gives up can it be replaced or is it a throw away and start again story?

Tks

A

« Reply #65 on: 28 August, 2023, 02:54:17 pm »
A question to hearing aid users. The interweb appears to indicate a life span of between 3 & 7 years on average for the devices the self. When they fail, what actually breaks? And for the rechargeable types, when the battery gives up can it be replaced or is it a throw away and start again story?

Tks

A
I recently asked for mine to be checked out - I got in touch with the local hospital audio unit directly, because that's where the aids came from - when the left aid seemed to be cutting out intermittently. The audiologist simply gave me a new pair, tuned to my requirements, and told me that these were now being phased out and that he would put me down for a fresh ear test, at which point I would be issued with the newer version. That was about 6 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the call, but in the meantime I'm very happy with the new/old replacements and even more happy to be on the receiving end of superb service from the NHS. To answer you query more directly: in my case they lasted 4 or 5 years, and their death was announced by intermittent failure.

« Reply #66 on: 28 August, 2023, 03:08:09 pm »
My experience is that the behind-the-ear component can realistically last 7 years and I in the past I have had non-rechargeable ones that lasted longer.

However, in addition to the BTE part, I have receivers-in-canal, with ear moulds, and it is these that are highly unlikely to last 3 to 7 years IME. The current ones have had to have both left and right in-canal parts replaced. Replacement has been free and as I was given an extra set in error when I bought them, and can swap them out myself, this has not been an issue. It could have been a major hassle otherwise as I would have had a few days with only one aid which, depending on the ear, would have made going to work impossible.

My current ones (Phonak) are rechargeable and after 18 months or so I am beginning to see a slight decrease in capacity. I understand the batteries can be replaced but it’s a back to the factory job.

NHS ones will just get replaced as soon as you can get seen, The programming can just be transferred to the new units. If you just have domes then that’s job done. If you need to replace ear moulds with receivers in, those can take a few days to come back.

barakta

« Reply #67 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:01:07 pm »
As with anything hearing aids have a bathtub curve for reliability and some models are better than others. The NHS tends to buy in massive bulk slightly outdated models (2-3 years old) at HUGE discount (like £60-120 per aid on average) which are no longer sold to Private healthcare users in the UK and Abroadshire.

With standard BTE aids some parts are considered replaceable like the tubing and the mould/dome and various attachments, lifespan estimated 3-6 months but some get longer, some don't. A lot can depend on how acidic your sweat is for example.

I don't know if the NHS recycles rechargeable hearing aid batteries, they will be fairly small capacity by the standards. I think most NHS aids are still disposable batteries due to rechargies not lasting long and still being more expensive. There's pros and cons to rechargies, if you forget to charge or can't charge you're stuffed (unless you can also use disposables or get a different battery part).

Usually the main electronics bit can keep going for as long as snappy plastic survives and the electronics cope with whatever they're exposed to. That's likely to depend on the user e.g. older person who doesn't go out much may get longer than a middle aged person who does sporty stuff or in/out of rain and a lot longer than they'll last for a child (children are notoriously hard on hearing aids). The failure is likely to be electronics and they're sealed units so they don't really repair them, it's cheaper to just go with a new aid at £100ish a pop compared to time cost of repairs. Modern aids are on average more reliable than the old analogues because they're digital and have fewer actual wires in.

As a child, I had a wonderful hearing aid repair technician who used to have my back when I reported faults that the repair centre (I had obscure aids which he couldn't fix) said weren't faults. I believe he once sent my aid back 3x (when I was about 5) and eventually they dismantled it and discovered a loose wire - which I could hear. Lovely man who understood that those of us who use an aid everyday know when it is wrong.

Most NHS areas will leave you with your aids for as long as they work (and you're happy with them). If you go back after say 3 years or so, for whatever reason, there's a chance you'll get a new model because of the way commissioning works. Although some friends of mine say their audiology punishes them by removing their upgrade if they ever lose a hearing aid even if they pay the £50-150 fine for it...

One gotcha is if you move house with working but old aids and keep going till they die, cos then you need a NEW referral from GP which can take A Long Time TM. A profoundly deaf friend did this, his aids died age 11 and his GP said it'd be 12 months for an audiology appt so he had to go private cos he had only 1 half working aid and desperately needed them for work and y'know hearing everyday life. I'd have kicked up A Stink in his shoes but I suspect he couldn't go to Shitty Specsavers/Scrivens/Boots cos he was severe/profound which makes him 'special' in audiology terms. So if you move house, and the aids become 4-5yrs old, get a new audiology referral in before they die so you're back on the books...

I think sometimes working but old NHS aids are collected up and taken to poor countries for reuse but there's challenges with maintaining and setting up random aids and indeed they're likely to be unreliable before they hit very hot and or humid/dry climates and people living there may have difficulty accessing electricity or batteries and ongoing care.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #68 on: 31 August, 2023, 01:10:11 pm »
Had a follow-up letter with an unsatisfactory questionnaire to send back. In my letter was this:

Going forward you will remain on our system with a permanent open appointment; this means that you can get in touch as required without needing to seek a new referral. We won’t arrange any further appointments until you ask us to.
If you are having any problems, questions or queries, please let us get in touch. We recommend requesting hearing tests every 5 years, you can do this by phone or email.
Please note, that the quickest way to have a hearing aid repaired is to post it (or drop it in) to us at xxx Hospitals. Our address is at the top of this letter.

barakta

« Reply #69 on: 02 September, 2023, 07:09:10 pm »
Good in theory they're keeping you on their list, maybe someone got a bollocking for kicking hearing aid users off their list all the time. Kinda shocking they expect you to chase them for 5 yearly tests rather than having a functioning system to followup patients themselves but that's what happens when you shred the NHS which is under-adminned.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #70 on: 30 September, 2023, 09:32:04 am »
Been given some Size 13 batteries by a neighbour, but I (and Mum) are using size 312.

Any suggestions as to how to get them used - I'm pretty sure if we took the back to hearing services somewhere they would be disposed of?

« Reply #71 on: 30 September, 2023, 12:03:26 pm »
I use size 13s.
When a friend had some to get rid of, she just asked me what size (or rather colour pack) I needed and gave them to me.
Do you have other friends who use aids to pass them on to?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #72 on: 30 September, 2023, 02:10:51 pm »
I also use size 13, so they seem fairly common.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #73 on: 30 September, 2023, 09:59:18 pm »
I also use size 13, so they seem fairly common.

Oh, sorry about that. Are 312s posher?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #74 on: 30 September, 2023, 10:34:05 pm »
Yes. Only us plebs use 13.