Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281237 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
5am and its already 30C in my office at home.

the weekly time trial may be missed this week.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

essexian

Cooler this morning outside thankfully but still 28c in the house. Goes off and looks for his mankini.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
All windows open and a chain of fans going got our inside temperature down to 26° overnight.  Then muggins closes off all the upstairs windows & shutters but forgets downstairs, and now we're back to 28°. :facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Thunder! Heavy rain! Yay!

Lasted about five minutes. Boo!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Despite the fans and windows, it stayed at 30+ degrees in the bedroom (and upstairs) all night. Given the presence of one wife and two cats, all emitting vast quantities of even more heat, I gave up trying to sleep in the bed and retreated downstairs and slept on the sofa like a Bad Husband.

It was marginally better. I've never actually slept on the sofa. There are all sorts of weird noises downstairs, possibly from proximity to the Hell Portal under the hallway floor. And thunder and lightning slowly rumbled all night. Today will, as a result, feature large quantities of coffee.

The fact that The Asbestos Palace is insulated to hell and back means it'll stay hot till October now.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Soft and floppy, I'd guess, much like the denizens of the low countries
;D We'll leave the stiff upper lip to you British people. You're gonna need it.

Just past 11 and it is already 27.6 degrees in the office.

I think last night was the most uncomfotable I've spent. Hot, yes, but it was also very humid.  Two long rolls of thunder around 3am, and a cataract of rain that lasted all of 30 seconds.  Today it must be 15 degrees cooler, but still no rain. That looks like it'll arrive tomorrow, with a vengeance. I should probably plant out the tomatoes this evening.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I woke up at 4am last night with a full bladder, turned over, and discovered an alarming decoupling of gravity from rotational inertia.  I lay there dripping with sweat for about 2 minutes, waiting for the world to stop spinning, which it didn't.  I decided that needs must, and got halfway to the bathroom before the rushing sound kicked in.  Made it to the loo, and somehow managed to drink three handfuls of water in an attempt to help the overwhelming nausea before everything went dark and sideways.  I stumbled back to bed on the basis that was the best place to be with ropy blood pressure and a malfunctioning vestibular system, and promptly fell asleep.  I woke when barakta (who had got up to ward off a UTI) came to bed some time (computer says ~20 minutes) later, complained that I was dizzy, and fell asleep again.

Feel okay this morning, just Too Hot and exhausted.  Weird.

ElyDave

Soft and floppy, I'd guess, much like the denizens of the low countries
;D We'll leave the stiff upper lip to you British people. You're gonna need it.

Just past 11 and it is already 27.6 degrees in the office.

I forgot to add "At the moment" to that  :D

I caved in & bought an electric fan yesterday, so of course the weather in now cool  & wet, which is a shame for the people on todays Pride march.  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
As usual, our canicule broke last night with the customary violent thunderstorm.

The catch there is that before the storm the house is full of the fug of (in our case) two humans, two dogs & a parrot who've been breathing and farting all day with the windows & shutters shut while the outside temp climbed to 38° and the inside ditto to 30.  Then the storm arrives, with concomitant temperature drop but you can't open the windows because of the 70 kph winds they forecast so you tough it out in anticipation of wondrous coolth just as soon as...  only after two hours of celestial exhibitionism you drop off with the windows still shut and wake up at 05:30 with a vile headache and the house still befugged.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had another dose or three before September's equinoctial gales rip the roof off. Interesting times.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Rained all evening and much of the night in Leafy Surrey.  Now cool enough to guzzle coffee in the conservatory.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Down to 16C outside. Constant rain for the last 24 hours.  Local flood warning on the River Alt in North Liverpool. 

I've got to take a trailer of rubbish to the tip.  Hope the plastic box doesn't fill up with water!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It got down to 25° last night. Had to put on a woolly.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It occurs to me that in the 15 or so years of my experience living in and near Llandysul i have never heard or seen a thunderstorm.  I don't know if is some weird Teifi Valley thing or what, but i do miss it.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
20h00 last night we had a storm.

The most torrential rain we've seen here in 30 years.  Two hours later the road was dry.

Did a vid: https://youtu.be/85Hj4CsR-Uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Is that water coming up out of the drain-cover?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Help me!
Gosh! Somewhat moist here atm.  On its way to you now with love from Wales.   :-*

ElyDave

I think it'll be here in tiem for me to drive two hours to a wedding tomorrow.

I really dont like weddings, but SWMBO insisted

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Gosh! Somewhat moist here atm.  On its way to you now with love from Wales.   :-*

Got it, thanks.

TBH, the cool air feels wonderful.  Though I suspect that if it keeps up the pile of builders' sand across the road may have washed away by morning.  (It won't do the bearing on that sodding wheelbarrow any favours, either.)

Beardy

• Shedist
We’ve just driven back to the Angles from West Devon. Some bad precipitation on the M5 east of Exeter, but by the time we were on the A303 it was just drech. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

The rain before 6 was so heavy it woke me up!  Some rumblings of thunder as well.  All stopped now.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Is that water coming up out of the drain-cover?

95%, I guess. We're at the bottom of a hill so that'll be mostly water from the roadside drains. Our village has a single common sewer for rainwater and domestic efflux, though, so this was not the best time to use the facilities.  At the height of the drought it had mostly dried up and the council were trucking in water to flush it through.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Watching a video of that tornado they had in the Moselle.   Interesting: in American tornado videos the most common reaction is "oh my God", whereas in France (in Lorraine, anyway) it's "oh putain".

Basil

• Help me!
I'm waiting for the promised good weather.
*gazes out at current fine drizzle *

*drums fingers *