Author Topic: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 + EXTRA + Spring Dash 100 — Sat 16 March 2019 — PBP Q  (Read 24374 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
But what if they're both in the same bowl, Phil?  :demon:  ... crumble and raspberry pie, obvs.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

Then eat crumble and hit custard first. Then have strawberry pie with cold custard now it has cooled.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Can we stop with all this nonsense.... every fool knows cold rice pudding with tinned fruit is where it's at!!!!!   :thumbsup:

(I'm not sure I'm going to make it (again) this year  :'( )
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
What has strawberry pie got to do with this?!!  You said raspberry pie before!  Much prefers rasps to strawbs.

Phil W

Nah cold rice pudding with hot honey.

Phil W

What has strawberry pie got to do with this?!!  You said raspberry pie before!  Much prefers rasps to strawbs.

Sorry I grabbed an extra slice of that since it is also on your menu.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I always try to grab an extra slice of whatever Ewa's baking, too  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
reaspberries go in porridge, with nuts, and a dollop of clotted cream on top
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Martin

Burn the heretic but I'm not a great fan of CAIK on bike rides; can I request something savoury at the end?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Of course, Martin — Ewa's hospitality is always graciously given in two parts, savoury and sweet  :thumbsup:

You'll have the choice of a couple of soup/stew-type recipes, tried-and-tested and very popular.  Both if you're feeling peckish and not in the mood for caik.  And there will also be bread rolls for the dipping thereof, or for making butties.  All vegetarian, much of it vegan.

As a confirmed ECE-rider, if you have any special requests, let me know (email) and I'll see what we can do.

FWIW, I'm not particularly a fan of caik in the middle of a ride either.  I much prefer a bowl of soup ... for most riders, of course, Ewa's caik comes at the end of their ride.

Martin

Soup / stew type recipe FTW  :thumbsup: :P

You’re all lucky getting fed. I’ll be on the Dean, so gotta find me own food at the services 🤔. I’ll do this ride one day (especially if there’s a veggie pork pie).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Big Saxon is in for the home cooking and friendship of the Wilkyboy family, whatever the weather.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels

Phil W

You could have some very hungry cyclists by the time we get back through the forecast weather.  Must pack some dry warm clothes to change into at Arrivee.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
You could have some very hungry cyclists by the time we get back through the forecast weather.  Must pack some dry warm clothes to change into at Arrivee.

The MetOffice and the Beeb disagree on what to expect.  I'm going with the MetOffice, which is for a bit of an annoying crosswind and showers at some point.

We always aim that the last rider back will get as good as the first  :thumbsup:

We will certainly have enough to take the edge off and get people going again.

rob

Think I'll ride the Winter bike.   Bit heavier but the tyres are more robust.   Less work cleaning it as well.

Martin

(checks forecast wind; remembers 2016 DD finishers, ponders return ECE to Kings Lynn....)

ponders return ECE to Kings Lynn....)

That's a good idea. I'm going to persevere with the ride south to Bishop's Stortford, but riding with the wind sounds very sensible.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

The forecast wind speeds are certainly above what I would consider prudent (for me), side winds especially throw me about, and if a 45-50 mph gust were to catch me in the open it could cause a dangerous deviation across the road/off road or flip me over onto my side if I try to counter steer. I will be watching the forecast closely and decide late Friday whether to ride or not. 

Phil W

I would have thought you'd be the least affected compared to road bikes. Certainly on my quasi low racer the winds don't affect it sideways so much but I guess you have a more solid area for the wind to hit sideways on. I'll be on my road bike Saturday but if it was more Fen like I'd defo be on my recumbent.

I would have thought you'd be the least affected compared to road bikes. Certainly on my quasi low racer the winds don't affect it sideways so much but I guess you have a more solid area for the wind to hit sideways on. I'll be on my road bike Saturday but if it was more Fen like I'd defo be on my recumbent.

The problem is just side wind, as a result of slab sides and the position of the centre of pressure v centre of gravity.  A sudden side hit say at a gap in a hedge can knock me a full lane width, although putting the "pants" on (spats in UK) so covering the front wheel wells does reduce is quite a bit but reduces turning circle.

Looking at forecast though there is no warning of wind where we're going (ignoring the BBC which gets it's data/forecast from Meteo France), just a very blustery day  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Only doing the 100 myself, forced onto the road bike due to still not repaired cruzbike post accident. But, given the choice, I'd probably still choose that on Saturday. As yanto says, its the sudden gusts going past a hedge gap, or turning a 90 degree corner cross wind. I find the steering corrections less twitchy on the road bike.

I got caught in a big thunderstorm in the fens on the cruzbike, wind first before the rain, went from nothing to throwing me over the other side of the road in the space of about 500m. Unpleasant, risky, hyper vigilance required due to cars still driving past like twats. Unfortunately nowhere to shelter.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

Do you have the hall all day?. Thinking of leaving some warm gear in the hall to put on when I get back.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Do you have the hall all day?. Thinking of leaving some warm gear in the hall to put on when I get back.

We can leave some stuff in the hall — the martial arts group won't touch it.  If it needs to be more secure then it will go into the back of the car.