Author Topic: Audax Dreams for the New Season  (Read 51329 times)

Re: Audax Dreams for the New Season
« Reply #175 on: 24 September, 2018, 02:10:23 pm »
Ultra Randonneur.

Done.

PBP + a handful of qualifiers next year. Kids still not old enough to look after themselves whilst I do a 600, so no return to the 50 point golden years yet.

« Reply #176 on: 24 September, 2018, 04:01:24 pm »
Made a modest start this year, but did my first 200km at the weekend. Next year I'd like to:
  • Earn the Brevet 1000 badge
  • Earn the Randonneur 1000 badge
  • Complete a 300km event
  • Complete Silver and Gold Grimpeur events

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #177 on: 24 September, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »
Sounds good @rcbprk. I found it's helpful to keep doing 100km rides through the winter (either Calendar or DIY) as this makes it easier when you come to the 200km or 300km ones you're after. There are some good 100km events depending on where you are in the country.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #178 on: 24 September, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »
Ultra Randonneur.

Done.

PBP + a handful of qualifiers next year. Kids still not old enough to look after themselves whilst I do a 600, so no return to the 50 point golden years yet.

LEL 2009, the memories!

« Reply #179 on: 24 September, 2018, 07:17:30 pm »
Having completed the Hard Boiled in 2017 and then a mix of 200s and 400s this year, I'm aiming for a Wessex SR in 2019 plus, if the stars align, I'd really like to try to complete scampi's Sea Lovers 600 permanent route - it looks amazing and goes right past the end of my road....

« Reply #180 on: 24 September, 2018, 08:33:51 pm »
Sounds good @rcbprk. I found it's helpful to keep doing 100km rides through the winter (either Calendar or DIY) as this makes it easier when you come to the 200km or 300km ones you're after. There are some good 100km events depending on where you are in the country.

Cheers. I've got a few lined up for the winter but in the depths of December, there isn't an awful lot happening up here in the North East. I may do a couple of DIYs close by to keeps the legs spinning.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #181 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:33:23 am »
Slightly more than a minimum SR this year, as won't be taking a week out to cook for LEL. 

Season is centred around the Porkers and the West Highland 1000 but hope to take in a couple of Dutch audaxes from Bunnik while I'm working in The Hague, which would add a fifth country to my Audax account (small beer to some here I know) and possibly a sneaky Cambrian series ride or two later in the year (or even book a week in Brecon and do a different Cambrian perm each day)

Porkers, West Highland, one Bunnik audax - all tick.  But no Cambrian Series perms.   However....

Having established the Cambrian 6C Super Randonnee and had four riders complete, it's about time I gave it a go myself.  And I think I've got enough brownie points to do that planned permanent - "I'm just going to ride to Whitchurch"...(all eleven of them).  If not there's the 1000 du Sud in the South of France. 

No PBP though, as that clashes with CET Junior A level results and CET Junior 2 GCSE results so no doubt I will be doing battle with UCAS Clearing and - can we get to Plymouth on Thursday and Newcastle on Friday...

Otherwise I'm going to try rides I've not done before in parts of the country I don't normally ride.  I just wish it was easier to get to Galshiels.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #182 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:09:34 am »
Not even done a 200k for two years, although that is about to change as I plan to do a 200k next week with someone.  Who knows what comes next?

« Reply #183 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:49:06 am »
Ultra Randonneur.

Done.

I know the answer to that one - get a very understanding wife like mine and plan a Super Randonneur series in 2019 ;)

« Reply #184 on: 25 September, 2018, 12:14:38 pm »
Ultra Randonneur.

Done.

LEL 2009, the memories!

Ah, the mammaries (and a guess appearance for Little Andy too).

« Reply #185 on: 25 September, 2018, 12:17:30 pm »
Ultra Randonneur.

Done.

I know the answer to that one - get a very understanding wife like mine and plan a Super Randonneur series in 2019 ;)

My wifenotwife is not at all understanding, which means I only get away with an SR a year. Understanding wives = points champion surely?  ;)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #186 on: 25 September, 2018, 01:37:26 pm »
Understanding wives = points champion surely?  ;)

My wife is very understanding, if you take "understanding" to mean "supportive of my self-indulgent and time-consuming hobby", but I don't regard that as a licence to take the piss.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #187 on: 25 September, 2018, 04:02:34 pm »
Understanding wives = points champion surely?  ;)

My wife is very understanding, if you take "understanding" to mean "supportive of my self-indulgent and time-consuming hobby", but I don't regard that as a licence to take the piss.

Same. Mine's an enabler

I'm in the same boat as hillbilly. Climbing up that mountain. You can't always have a Dave to help you out so it's solo fitness goals.

« Reply #188 on: 28 September, 2018, 02:21:41 pm »
Complete my initial RRtY - only one ride in October to do  ;D

Start another RRtY in November

Ride an SR series

Pipedream - PBP

Lose 40 pounds so I do not look like a cycling hippo!

« Reply #189 on: 02 October, 2018, 04:49:11 pm »
Winter Boat Ride (210km)
Amesbury Amble (312km)
London Wales London (407km)
Windsor Chester Windsor (600km)
Inverness 1200 (1206km)

'All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them' - Walt Disney

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #190 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:25:22 pm »
Lose 40 pounds so I do not look like a cycling hippo!

I’m aiming to lose 12kg before PBP. That would get me back down to the weight I was in 2013, the last time I really enjoyed cycling up hills...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #191 on: 02 October, 2018, 07:01:06 pm »
For the first time in many decades, I rode exactly zero Audaxes this year.

At the end of last year I was having problems with both my wrists due to a mixture of un-diagnosed arthritis and repetitive strain injury. Unable to support any weight on my wrists and in too much pain to either use brake levers or STI levers. Had to DNS the only Audax that I'd entered.

However.....due to a very good consultant and an excellent physiotherapist, after three months I was able to ride a road bike again. I'd lost all my cycling fitness and struggled with rides of 20 miles at a very slow pace.

Gradually over the months I've been getting stronger and faster and comfortably managed to finish this years Wild Wales Challenge from Bala. 90 miles and 2400 metres of climbing. :thumbsup:

Next year, I've already entered the Sunrise Express Audax and also plan to attempt all the Wandering Wolves permanents that John Hamilton provides. Might also attempt several more local Audaxes as well.

I think that I've probably come to terms with the fact that i might never ride any Audaxes over 200k anymore, but as I'm 70 next year, it might be time to take things a bit easier now.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Phil W

« Reply #192 on: 02 October, 2018, 07:33:20 pm »
PBP next year then a return to Wild Atlantic Way Audax in 2020 on one of the new options for the second edition.

This winter I want to get my average speed back up.  It has been on a downward trajectory since post PBP 2015.  Being slower is making audaxes an effort that they never used to be. I know what I need to do, I just need to get on with it.

« Reply #193 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:33:56 pm »
RRtY - No 3
2 x SRs - Nos 4 & 5
PBP
65 points in my 65th year

« Reply #194 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:48:42 pm »
Super Randonnee 600 in the Dolomites. I have the brevet card and was going ride it this September, but was too knackered after LEL.
A long ride for early as possible PBP 2019 registration.
TINAT and similar style rides.
Double or maybe triple RRtY.
I enjoyed my Super Randonnee 600 in the Dolomites in August this year and the scenery was fantastic. It was the hardest ride I've done so far, although the TINAT 600 was also tough and with more time pressure. I also rode a BRM 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1000 in 2018, including the excellent and occasionally brutal Mille Pennines that will give me the earliest possible PBP 2019 preregistration.

This season I hope to qualify for and complete the PBP, probably from an 84 hour start as it suited me well last time. I also aim to keep three RRtYs going until the PBP, but then cut back to two. I've entered two of each PBP qualifying distance, except three 600s. I am generally planning to ride flatter events this season, but will probably be attracted to some ultra-hilly rides, such as CrazyEnglishTriathlete's Cambrian 6C Super Randonnee. Something I haven't done for many years is proper training, and this season would be a good time to restart!

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #195 on: 03 October, 2018, 09:37:41 am »
Simply get qualified for and do PBP - only been dreaming about it since 2006! Always real life gets in the way  :facepalm:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #196 on: 14 October, 2018, 10:47:50 pm »

Now both the Dutch and Belgian Calendars are out, I've gone through them all and made a wish list. Removing all those that clash with a race, removing all those that clash with the taper just before a race, removing those that clash with other rides on the same day, and I have a list of 21 rides between now and the end of 2019. For a total distance of 5700km.

Hopefully, this will complete my first RRtY, as well as my first SR series, with a side effect of a couple of other AUK awards into the bargain.

Perhaps I should start buying shares in continental and KMC...

For now it's a wish list, as long as I do one per month, and hit the SR series, I'll be happy.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #197 on: 15 October, 2018, 12:21:06 pm »
I've only started Audaxing this year but a few 200km are the only one's I've managed - had been hoping to do longer ones but things didn't go as I'd hoped

I've a 2 month run of 200km so I'm hoping to keep adding to those for an attempt at RRTY through the winter, next up being the 200km Ride the Lights on Sunday 21st Oct

I've already signed up for a good run of events for next year with a few others flagged of interest and hoping to manage to get to SR levels

I know it's a very big challenge, but I've also signed up for an 8 day crossing of the Pyrenees so all the above will be of huge help in trying to train for that. I'm useless at climbing but finally starting to improve, and yesterday I did my first ever pass climb in the Lake District which I was really pleased with (albeit Kirkstone Pass, and the easiest route up it). But yes - will be doing much more in the Lakes and other hilly places in 2019, and heading to Mallorca in Nov to also try climbing there.

So in addition next year I'm going to get on the various 100km 'Marple Grimpeur Perms' to help develop my climbing as I've hugely enjoyed attempting the various flatter 'Wigley Perms' - they've really helped me to develop as a beginner and the rides have been wonderful, even if I didn't complete some of them within the times

http://www.delphcyclist.info/permanent.html

Hoping to also get over to other parts of the world for events too, but finances and time from work will be a factor.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #198 on: 15 October, 2018, 06:30:24 pm »
My ambition for 2019 is the ACP Randonneur 10000 award. Which means riding:
  • PBP
  • another 1000km brevet (probably the Norwegian one I still have unfinished business with)
  • a Super Randonnée (probably one of Ötztal Rundfahrt, SR delle Dolomiti or Cambrian 6C)
I love coming to the UK for cycling and bagging some AAA points, but both will be limited in 2019 I think. Hopefully I can shoehorn The Border Raid from Newcastle in. Other 600s on my wish list are the Rando Imperator (Munich - Ferrara, rode this 2 years ago) and the first 600 starting from my hometown of Groningen a week later.

« Reply #199 on: 16 October, 2018, 11:39:52 am »
Well, the first goal was achieved (riding a 200k again after two-years) and it felt good and without struggling for the final stages which has got me thinking longer term again now.

Looking forward to riding the Peculir Old 200 at the end of the month and already entered a 300 and 400 next year.