Author Topic: Budget dynamo light  (Read 1861 times)

Budget dynamo light
« on: 26 April, 2019, 09:30:52 am »
Being the old romantic I am I'm thinking of converting the wife's bike to run a dynamo lights as a birthday present. I know girls how did you miss me.... Anyhow any recommendations for lights. They will only be used for tootling around and occasionally dark cycle paths but not high speed so don't need mega power.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Budget dynamo light
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:06:34 pm »
The B&M Lyt (until reacently the stock low-end dynamo light on Bromptons) isn't a bad budget light for city use: Nice big illuminated area for being seen, and a perfectly acceptable beam for pothole-spotting.  There's a 15Lux version with no standlight, and a 25Lux version with.

The newer Avy isn't much more expensive, and is probably comparable to the IQ Fly or early Cyo.

I expect there are competitive offerings from the likes of Basta and Axa, but I've not seen them in operation.

B&M Cyo Premium is the best bang for buck, but about double the price.

Lots to choose from in rears.  I recommend one of the rack-mounted lights with a large reflector - all the dynamo ones seem pretty reliable.  B&M Secula is a good light available in mudguard and seatsay mounting flavours, but they tend to get bashed.

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:11:11 pm »
Found a lyt on the bay of thiefs. It says for bottle dynamos. This would work with a hub dynamo?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:13:36 pm »
Found a lyt on the bay of thiefs. It says for bottle dynamos. This would work with a hub dynamo?

The ones designed for bottle dynamos work fine, but won't have an 'off' switch.  In B&M-speak, the presence of a switch is denoted by an 'N' (from the German for hub dynamo).

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2019, 08:07:17 am »
if you subscribe to the 'simple is good' principle then there are lots of budget lights that are bright enough for town use. For example I have had a couple of these

https://www.internet-bikes.com/256144-falkx-koplamp-er9a-naafdynamo-zwart/

and they have been OK. No senso, standlight, or any of that guff, just a light and a switch.  There is a built-in circumferential reflector too.

I have also used some of the budget Union offerings; they have been OK too.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2019, 09:22:27 am »
Did realise last night I'd like it to have a stand light.

« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2019, 10:24:18 am »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2019, 12:55:14 am »
Decathlon do a budget dyno wheel
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/28-front-hybrid-dynamo-wheel-id_8133890.html

Blimey that's one hell of a deal.  Anyone got ideas if that could be made thru axle compatible?
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2019, 04:49:25 am »
I bought 3 Lyts (with standlight) a while ago - one has stopped working completely, and the standlights on the other two have given up. While I was initially very pleased with them given the low cost, I'm now slightly less impressed.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:18:26 am »
Decathlon do a budget dyno wheel
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/28-front-hybrid-dynamo-wheel-id_8133890.html

Blimey that's one hell of a deal.  Anyone got ideas if that could be made thru axle compatible?

It's a cheap load of cheap parts. If cheap is your aim then yes, this is the cheap apotheosis

Conversion to thru axle?  No

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2019, 12:16:18 pm »
The Avy is ok for streetlit areas (I used one for commuting last winter) but the beam pattern is a bit odd and I don't think it would be great for totally unlit areas.  Bluish LED light gets swallowed up by wet tarmac IME, so you need lots of it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2019, 02:09:17 pm »
I've actually got one of the decathlon dyno wheels. It's on my 700c and it's good for £30. It was hideously over tightened when I got it and I'd reckon has a lot more drag then a more expensive wheel but I needed a dyno wheel and the bike parts pot didn't have much money in it.

« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:05:48 pm »