Author Topic: Bob Jackson... best colours?  (Read 20883 times)

Bob Jackson... best colours?
« on: 12 November, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »
... as obtained via Putney Cycles on the Bike to Work. Possibly.  

Any reports, good or bad? What is the finish like on these frames?

Must say I do like Putney Cycles.

border-rider

Re: Bob Jackson...
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:35:28 pm »
Used be the DBs, had a bad spell in the 80s and early 90s (there's a thread on it somewhere) and now are quite well thought-of.

I've heard the odd horror story but then that's true of just about every frame builder.

I had a Hetchins repainted by them when we lived in Leeds and they did a fine job.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2009, 09:10:17 pm »
I wouldn't use them again.  They made a right pig's ear of my fork (couldn't even get a front wheel in) and their tap buggered up the BB threads until the LBS ran their own tap through the shell.  The paint is nice though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2009, 09:31:42 pm »
I've had a lot of dealings with Bob Jacksons, both in Harehills Lane and the new (comparatively) Bramley shop.  I've always had the best service, and excellent jobs done on a number of frames.

I've never been lucky enough to own a Bob Jackson, I'm afraid.  But the frames in Putney Cycles look pretty good.  Vigorelli?  Not sure.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2009, 09:55:02 pm »
They (Putney Cycles) had one bike built up that I liked, but it doesn't seem to fit any of the descriptions of the off-the-peg frames on the Bob J site. It was Reynolds 631, track ends (but with mudguard eyes), quill stem, seatstay bridge not drilled for a brake but  with a boss underneath for a guard. A bit like an Audax club but with track ends. I liked it but would want two brakes. Rather fancied how it looked with a quill stem too, although the aheadset option exists too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2009, 09:59:03 pm »
No, I really think that's a Vigorelli. 

Quote from: BJ
Vigorelli Track     £364.99

A perfect all round track frameset, built in standard gauge Reynolds 631 tubing upto 22 ½” & 631 oversize 23” & above for added rigidity. Manchester / Newport spec & capable of grass track, time trials or hillclimbs.
Fully cast bottom bracket shell, crown & dropouts,(Rear dropout Spacing 120mm) also comes with 1 set of bottle fittings, drilled for front brake (39-49mm)takes 19-28mm tyres. Available with mudguard fittings for winter use at no extra cost if required. Column is 1" threaded as standard or 1" "A" head on request.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:06:54 pm »
You may be right  :) Strange, the seat and head angles didn't seem as steep IRL as I'd expect with a track frame. Not sure if track geometry is what I want. But then a high bb is probably a good idea as it is over 2 decades since I rode a fixed wheel *gulp* I'll enquire further. Whatever it is, apparently it is not a problem to get a bridge that takes a brake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:08:29 pm »
I was tempted by one myself... ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:11:55 pm »
The Bob Jackson website is pretty crap, so I wouldn't necessarily rely on it as showing all the current build options.  I think they'll build you pretty much what you want if you go custom.  I've got a custom-built BJ in Reynolds 631, built for me in 1999.  It's a nice frame, and the paint job was excellent.  Here's a picture:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:15:16 pm »
Yup.  the website has been awful a long while (not as bad as Pennine's, though), and is rarely updated.

It's well worth a visit or a call to discuss.  They'll know what the frames at PC are.
Getting there...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:33:15 am »
I had my BJ repainted by them ,they did a great job.Never really understood why I sold it soon after.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:36:05 am »
Cause you're daft. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:02:30 pm »
So you never had to see that bar tape again, I expect. That, or to get a bike that didn't have yellow writing.  ;) (pretty apart from that though :D)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:03:20 pm »
I love mine - I have a custom Audax frame.  They took a few measurements, did a good job of the frame design, built it well and finished it nicely.  Absolutely no complaints about the quality, particularly since it was reasonably priced. 

If I had to pick a fault it would be that they wouldn't give me even any indication of when it would be ready.  I was thinking three months was about right, but it took more than five.  Every time I rang up to check on its progress I was told that "it'll be ready when it's ready".  A minor thing, but an irritating one, since I had to buy another bike to get my PBP qualifiers done. 

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:07:36 pm »
Used them to renovate my Higgins Ultralite trike. Took several weeks but I wasn't in a rush.

Good paint job & we managed to find the frame number to get history, (like its 1953 vintage)

As I picked it up from an Ebay seller in Bradford I dropped into their Bramley shop instead of taking it all the way home.

« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2009, 03:46:22 pm »
The Bob Jackson website is pretty crap

One aspect of its crapness is the colour swatch page  ::-) Need to peruse LFGSS to see what the colours actually look like. Not a lot wrong with black, though bottle green might be good.

Good looking bike, andrew w

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2009, 03:55:01 pm »
I also had a frame refurbished by them:

They did an excellent job adding and removing braze-ons, but the paint was rather fragile for the first few weeks (prone to chipping), although I suspect that is the nature of metallics.

« Reply #17 on: 14 November, 2009, 07:22:55 am »
Bob Jackson repainted this for me a couple of years ago, and made a really smashing job of it.

Was reasonably priced and they got it exactly how I wanted it. Well pleased

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #18 on: 14 November, 2009, 12:47:52 pm »
So you never had to see that bar tape again, I expect. That, or to get a bike that didn't have yellow writing.  ;) (pretty apart from that though :D)

:P :P :P :P :P :P :-*

Re: Bob Jackson... best colours?
« Reply #19 on: 14 November, 2009, 04:30:04 pm »
Any recommendations for colours from Bob Jackson? I quite like some of the darker metallic blues. Are metallics less durable than flams / plain enamels? I'm not going for lug lining.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2009, 08:32:17 pm »
Their flamboyant royal blue is great.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2009, 09:25:53 pm »
My Orbit is the darkest blue they do. Rather lovely, I think.

OTOH, NSTN's Eclipse is in a very pretty plum metallic.
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2009, 09:33:14 pm »
Which blue is it?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2009, 09:48:49 pm »
Which blue is it?

Um :-[  I can't remember.

Midnight Blue Enamel.

Gosh, the reproduction on that site is terrible, isn't it?
Getting there...

robbo6

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2009, 10:08:45 pm »
Their flamboyant royal blue is great.

Like this:
Fixed Gear Gallery

(Woodrup have their frames painted at BJ.)