Author Topic: Captain Tom  (Read 15367 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Captain Tom
« Reply #25 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:06:07 pm »
I see that the Collosal Bell End cornered Hancock about MP's following the NZ line and taking a pay cut.

As you'd expect, Hancock came out of it looking like the miserable, tight, uncaring , greedy bastard that I consider him and his tory colleagues to be.

For once, well done Morgan.
'sake! That's the second time in two weeks PM CBE has done or said something decent. Though I can't now remember what the first thing was.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:09:03 pm »
I understood his efforts were going to a charity that is supporting NHS personnel, not to the NHS itself.

Correct - per the second paragraph and a well-buried lede right down near the bottom of the BBC's report:

Captain Tom Moore originally wanted to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

NHS Charities Together, which support health service charities and will benefit from the funds, said it was "truly inspired and humbled" by his efforts.

Its chairman Ian Lush said about 150 charities would benefit from the money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52303859

It is much easier as a journalist though to say that he's fundraising for the NHS

Easier? Or the journalist/copy editor/headline writer knew what sort of response would be elicited by creating that impression?

As demonstrated in posts up-thread... ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #27 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:09:42 pm »
But it's a really fucked up state of affairs when the nations healthcare system needs to find it's funding that way.

He's not raising money for "the NHS".

He's raising money for NHS Charities Together, you can read what they do here: https://www.nhscharitiestogether.co.uk/

(Although you might argue that a significant proportion of things that end of getting funded by NHS Charities Together should be funded by the Government anyway. But that's a different story. The main point is that "the NHS" and "NHS Charities Together" are quite different things. The latter raised £437m in donations last year.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #28 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:20:40 pm »
I understood his efforts were going to a charity that is supporting NHS personnel, not to the NHS itself.

Correct - per the second paragraph and a well-buried lede right down near the bottom of the BBC's report:

Captain Tom Moore originally wanted to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

NHS Charities Together, which support health service charities and will benefit from the funds, said it was "truly inspired and humbled" by his efforts.

Its chairman Ian Lush said about 150 charities would benefit from the money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52303859

It is much easier as a journalist though to say that he's fundraising for the NHS

Easier? Or the journalist/copy editor/headline writer knew what sort of response would be elicited by creating that impression?

As demonstrated in posts up-thread... ;)

Absolutely, ring bell, watch dogs slather and drool at the prospect of a feeding frenzy
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #29 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:58:48 pm »
I see that the Collosal Bell End cornered Hancock about MP's following the NZ line and taking a pay cut.

As you'd expect, Hancock came out of it looking like the miserable, tight, uncaring , greedy bastard that I consider him and his tory colleagues to be.

'sake! That's the second time in two weeks PM CBE has done or said something decent. Though I can't now remember what the first thing was.
He called the landlord of The Gammon Arms, Tim Martin, into question, using Bad Swears in the process, over his claim that there had been hardly any transmission in pubs.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:02:06 pm »
That was it. Your memorycells are outmemoritastic of mine.

More importantly, is this just random stuff or is he (PM CBE) becoming PM LBE (l=lesser)?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #31 on: 16 April, 2020, 10:02:29 pm »
He also shredded Hancock's sidekick, Helen Whately, who, as a McKinsey consultant before becoming a MP, was responsible for many of the fuck-ups that still burden the NHS with excessive bureaucracy and depleted resources.  She's been wheeled out to the media a couple of times in the past month and is so spectacularly out of her depth that even Nick Robinson took her to pieces on 'Today'.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #32 on: 17 April, 2020, 07:17:25 am »
Forgive me if I'm not overly impressed by soldiers from the Yorkshire Regiment travelling down to Bedfordshire to visit a 99 year old and put on a show...  not exactly in line with:

(a) the social isolation policy for over 70s, or
(b) avoiding unnecessary journeys.

1st Battalion Yorkshire Regiment are actually based in Warminster. Regiments aren't actually garrisoned where there names indicate historical recruiting came from. We also don't know if they made a special trip or were doing something in the area anyway.

1st Battalion are based in Warminster - the rest of the Yorkshire Regiment are based primarily in Yorkshire (according to the MoD).

And it was 1st who paid him a visit.

And Warminster is nowhere near Marston Moreteyne.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #33 on: 17 April, 2020, 07:20:44 am »
That was it. Your memorycells are outmemoritastic of mine.

More importantly, is this just random stuff or is he (PM CBE) becoming PM LBE (l=lesser)?

There is a real issue when PM CBE is the chief MSM person holding the Government to account... 

Laura Kuenssberg and Robert Peston continue to function as Cummings' pets.  The government won't send people on to C4 news programmes.

Green Party Councillor

Davef

« Reply #34 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:20:59 am »
There is no law against unnecessary journeys. It is is illegal to leave your home without reasonable excuse. It is unlikely the soldiers were coming from their homes and even if they were, working from home to provide an honour guard was not possible.

Reading in today’s paper the “over 100s” are a special cohort who have super powers to resist covid-19. Let’s hope Tom makes it through the next two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #35 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:31:01 am »
He also shredded Hancock's sidekick, Helen Whately, who, as a McKinsey consultant before becoming a MP, was responsible for many of the fuck-ups that still burden the NHS with excessive bureaucracy and depleted resources.  She's been wheeled out to the media a couple of times in the past month and is so spectacularly out of her depth that even Nick Robinson took her to pieces on 'Today'.

I'm pretty sure Whately couldn't win a debate with Sooty.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #36 on: 17 April, 2020, 11:07:06 am »
There is no law against unnecessary journeys. It is is illegal to leave your home without reasonable excuse. It is unlikely the soldiers were coming from their homes and even if they were, working from home to provide an honour guard was not possible.

Reading in today’s paper the “over 100s” are a special cohort who have super powers to resist covid-19. Let’s hope Tom makes it through the next two weeks.

Don't spoil Reg's 'bah humbug' moment!

Actually, in my son's part of the Army (in Yorkshire, as it happens), they have all been sent home apart from those that are working on Nightingale hospitals or PPE distribution. Wattisham, the home of the Apache and just a couple of miles from me, has pretty much closed down.

Regulator

« Reply #37 on: 17 April, 2020, 11:41:58 am »

There does seem to be something about centenarians...  we've just discharged a 102 year old who had Covid19.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #38 on: 17 April, 2020, 12:33:21 pm »
Can you recall which day ?  I'd quite like to listen to that.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #39 on: 17 April, 2020, 12:41:29 pm »

There does seem to be something about centenarians...  we've just discharged a 102 year old who had Covid19.

Hope so, my godfather uncle is 91 and recently gave up golf.  His father died c.1948 - lung cancer.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Regulator

« Reply #40 on: 17 April, 2020, 01:04:54 pm »
Can you recall which day ?  I'd quite like to listen to that.

Here's the YouTube copy of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by0gRQIWvd4

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #41 on: 17 April, 2020, 03:09:25 pm »
Thank you !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #42 on: 17 April, 2020, 04:52:32 pm »

It's lovely that someone is trying to raise money for the NHS and all that.

But it's a really fucked up state of affairs when the nations healthcare system needs to find it's funding that way.

It's the National Health Service, not a fucking charity.

Then of course we have the fact that to you and me, 12 million is a lot of money. To an organisation like the NHS, it's a rounding error...

Do not forget that the NHS, and all of the issues of austerity funding cuts are all purely ideological moves taken by a government who's attacks on public services are verging on criminal.

Lovely effort Capt Tom (Ret.). Fucking disgusting that the 6th largest economy on earth needs it...

J
^This.
Especially all of the last line.

Yes, this.

And the poodle-BBC laps it up saying how wonderful it is, I guess Hancock and his ilk must be jubilant as it's such a distractor from the mess they not only created but continue to prolong.

GC

« Reply #43 on: 17 April, 2020, 04:56:05 pm »

Yeah, it's really scary times. On the way back home from (essential) work in the East Mids this week I was listening to LBC and found myself agreeing with something Nigel Farage was saying. :o :o :o :o :o :o

To quote one of the first callers, "I'm a first time caller and it's the first time I've ever agreed with you Nigel" yes well quite.

GC

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:00:15 pm »

Yeah, it's really scary times. On the way back home from (essential) work in the East Mids this week I was listening to LBC and found myself agreeing with something Nigel Farage was saying. :o :o :o :o :o :o

To quote one of the first callers, "I'm a first time caller and it's the first time I've ever agreed with you Nigel" yes well quite.

GC
Well...

...what on earth did he say?

« Reply #45 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:11:15 pm »
He made a very sensible and reasoned suggestion that the govt needs to start developing a strategy for exiting lockdown wilst keeping covid infection controlled and cited Germany and Merkel as good examples!!!!!!!

GC

« Reply #46 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:19:53 pm »
It's very easy to say that. It's very hard to come up with an answer or, if several options were presented, to get behind a specific option.

It's much easier to sit on the sidelines and complain that what people aren't doing isn't good enough.

Just sounds like more populist pandering.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #47 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:41:55 pm »
It's very easy to say that. It's very hard to come up with an answer or, if several options were presented, to get behind a specific option.

It's much easier to sit on the sidelines and complain that what people aren't doing isn't good enough.

Just sounds like more populist pandering.

Aye but even a populist gets the odd thing right. Tho stats are that 90% or support the lockdown so he is currently in a minority.

It is actually much easier for anyone with the financial means to just nod and accept the BBC propaganda and merge into the stream of project fear 2.

Kier Starmer has also made the same point a couple of days previously and I hope the recall of parliament will allow the govt to be held to account constructively and so give them an incentive to get a cross party group to start getting a realistic risk managed route out of this in place.

GC

Davef

« Reply #48 on: 17 April, 2020, 10:11:45 pm »
There were outline exit strategies from SAGE before the lockdown commenced. There are a lot of behavioural scientists deciding how and when this is best communicated. One option - mobile phone tracking would be problematic with existing laws. I expect the adverts for the “NHS save lives” app will feature a sweet June Whitfield look-a-like granny.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #49 on: 17 April, 2020, 10:19:43 pm »
Cohen the Barbarian principle?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.