Author Topic: Routes in reverse  (Read 5394 times)

Routes in reverse
« on: 17 October, 2010, 02:37:24 pm »
Following on from the recent thread on starting points for Permanents can you do a Permanent route in reverse?  Appreciate there may be issues with controls etc but can you do it? 

Did one yesterday with a friend accompanying  me for the first half and they have suggested doing the second half backwards in a couple of weeks time.  I may carry on to finish the ride.

Re: Routes in reverse
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2010, 03:04:46 pm »
You have to visit the controls in the correct order and within the speed limits so unless the organiser says you can do it in reverse  I assume you can't. You can do The Manchester Loop in reverse, Don Black will send you both route sheets. You can do my perm in reverse if you wish (i'll have to check this with the perm sec first though)

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »
Until recently (say) 4 or  5 years ago, perms could only be ridden once a year - in either direction. So you got the chance to ride the event twice annually.

Since then the once-a-year rule has been dropped, but I think the direction issue was allowed to stand (good idea)  :thumbsup:.

I know for a fact that 3peaker allowed his perms (bar one) to be ridden in either direction, his routes were supplied in bi-directional format - including maps. Stephen might be able to shed some light on the issue.

Mike Wigley, (I believe) was the main driving force for allowing perms to be ridden as-often-as-you-like. (Good idea)  :thumbsup:, perhaps Mike could also enlighten us all.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2010, 05:00:35 pm »
Presumably doesn't apply to DIYs. I often reverse mine for variety.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2010, 07:10:40 pm »

no problem here with DIY's being reversed

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2010, 07:21:04 pm »

does one have to enter again listing the controls in reverse order ?

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2010, 07:22:49 pm »
The cambrian series of events , specifically says, that you can start from any control point and ride in either direction.
Although, you dont get a route sheet.  Sounds good to me.  
So its obviously not against the rules.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2010, 07:29:14 pm »

I've never had to. Sheila and Danial have both accepted "Route X ridden in reverse".

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2010, 08:21:44 pm »

you have to enter all DIY's separately; one entry per ride, but as Chris says "ride X ridden in reverse" is fine

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2010, 08:46:38 pm »
You may do mine from any control and either direction, but there's only one routesheet for each, so some preparation on the part of the rider will be needed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:26:00 pm »
I've done the Poor Student in reverse and reckon it works better that way round, not least because you get to go down the Whiteway into Cirencester.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2010, 04:07:12 pm »
Asked Mark Beauchamp (organiser of Perm in question - Taste of The Test) who confirmed it can be done in reverse.  Be interesting to see how it works as a ride

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2010, 04:17:43 pm »
You may do mine from any control and either direction, but there's only one routesheet for each, so some preparation on the part of the rider will be needed.
+1
Some riders have started the Snow Roads perm from various points "en route", and that's fine by me.  And I'd have no problems if anyone was brave daft enough to do it the other way round. 
DIY? It's your route - do it any way round you want.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

mikewigley

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2010, 11:11:34 am »
Until recently (say) 4 or  5 years ago, perms could only be ridden once a year

Not quite true.  You could ride them as often as you liked.  It was only for the championships where duplicated Perm runs were disallowed (or more accurately not counted) but that's been relaxed now.  You could become AUK Champion by riding the Bernie's Long Flat One 600 once a week.  Just don't mention that to Toothgrinder (whoever he might be behind that YACF name) in case it inspires him to another challenge

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2010, 11:23:29 am »
Just don't mention that to Toothgrinder (whoever he might be behind that YACF name) in case it inspires him to another challenge
I think he should get a hyper SR in one go by riding it 4 times in a row nonstop, getting both a finish stamp and another start stamp whenever he passes 'Go'.

In fact, if he wants to undertake such a venture, I volunteer to man a control and wash his dirty kecks.  For that, I'd prefer it if he did it somewhere near me, maybe he could ride the Twelve Coasts?

« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2010, 11:26:11 am »
Not quite true.  You could ride them as often as you liked.  It was only for the championships where duplicated Perm runs were disallowed (or more accurately not counted) but that's been relaxed now.  .............

Thanks for clarifying that point Mike,  :thumbsup:

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.