Author Topic: more insane management speak phrases  (Read 144228 times)

ian

Re: more insane management speak phrases
« Reply #700 on: 20 October, 2020, 10:17:01 am »
That would lead to a massive surge in the unemployment figures, at least until the layers of PHBs can be repurposed as sprout pickers, baristas, unicorn wranglers and wipers of OAPs' bottoms in care homes.  Call it a Brexit Bonus.

We did, under a prior regime, tentative cull some management layers. Then in the most recent regime change we added them back x2, so we're back with the millefeuille school of management. But at least you can eat a millefeuille.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #701 on: 20 October, 2020, 10:20:27 am »
That would lead to a massive surge in the unemployment figures, at least until the layers of PHBs can be repurposed as sprout pickers, baristas, unicorn wranglers and wipers of OAPs' bottoms in care homes.  Call it a Brexit Bonus.

We did, under a prior regime, tentative cull some management layers. Then in the most recent regime change we added them back x2, so we're back with the millefeuille school of management. But at least you can eat a millefeuille.

In the inevitable post-Brexit shortages we may have to eat PHBs too.  On the whole rats appear more appetising.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #702 on: 20 October, 2020, 10:52:13 am »

In the inevitable post-Brexit shortages we may have to eat PHBs too.  On the whole rats appear more appetising.

Onna stick? Inna bun?

« Reply #703 on: 22 December, 2020, 03:48:55 pm »
"Please protocol this request at your earliest convenience".

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #704 on: 22 December, 2020, 04:13:11 pm »
Ermm.  What does that _mean_?  Does it mean _anything_?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #705 on: 22 December, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #706 on: 22 December, 2020, 06:54:55 pm »
An ex-colleague used to tell the story of trying to order fairly ordinary PCs for the RAF. They had to be completely specified, model, version, disk size, memory, the whole lot.
By the time the procurement process had ground its weary way to a conclusion, the vendors no longer sold a machine to that spec. And the RAF were not allowed to buy the replacement, which was either better or cheaper or both.  :facepalm:
They did get the process changed eventually.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #707 on: 03 July, 2021, 01:21:37 pm »
My partner tells me that in their company, when discussing marketing of new products they are strongly advised not to go in for "feature fucking".
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #708 on: 05 July, 2021, 07:03:07 pm »

How to tell a company doesn't have any British employees... Yep they really did pick that name...

https://twitter.com/noncefinance/status/1412079348861923328

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #709 on: 06 July, 2021, 10:57:53 pm »
Talking of names, it looks like Agile has finally caught up with our geriatric team. Oops. Sorry, that's an inappropriate term. I should have said geriatric 'squad'. We have to choose a name for ourselves, so I insouciantly suggested 'Mainframe apps support team squad' (it's what we do), but was told that that would pigeon-hole us. There are 6 of us, ave age around 62, so we're highly unlikely to be be learning new tricks, and are all happy to be pigeon-holed. Our boss, under pressure to play the game, suggested 'cliffhangers' to reflect a) that we're mostly just hanging on, metaphorically, and b) our business have been unsuccesful, despite trying for 16 years, in replacing our apps with something more up-to-date, and are consequently driving off that same cliff edge. It went to a vote. 6-1 for my suggestion, but we're now called the 'Cliffhangers squad' (which - I pointed out, rather pigeon-holes us).

ian

« Reply #710 on: 07 July, 2021, 09:56:31 am »
I called my two squads strange and charm, which considering their quantum progress at the moment, seems apt. It does mean we have a weekly strange refinement.

« Reply #711 on: 07 July, 2021, 10:07:00 am »

How to tell a company doesn't have any British employees... Yep they really did pick that name...

https://twitter.com/noncefinance/status/1412079348861923328

J
My daughter, who has a First in English,  used to provide some translation/proof reading services for companies in Hong Kong. Oddly, some companies insisted that their English versions were correct, despite colloquial gaffes being highlighted in translation.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #712 on: 10 August, 2021, 02:55:24 pm »
This doesn't quite qualify for this thread, but I've just heard (from management) an occasion on which the whole team went for lunch together described as "a lunch retreat".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #713 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:48:11 pm »
Today. On the telephone to colleague.

Me.  I dunno what this bit {insert technical waffle here} does.  Any ideas?
Colleague.  Ermm no.  I'll ask $othercolleague when I touch base with him.
Me.  Do you mean, "Talk to."?
Colleague.  "Christ! I'm talking 'Management Bollocks'. Shoot me now!"

I laughed.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #714 on: 18 September, 2021, 12:09:48 pm »
Word of the week at my virtual work Huddle = get back in the brick & mortar office and meet people fact to face.

Sounds a bit worryingly like cuddle and I've never met most of my colleagues in real life before  ::-)

« Reply #715 on: 27 September, 2021, 11:06:28 am »
I just sat through an hours briefing on a new QA system that's being developed at work. Moderately useful to know, but I nearly missed it because it was advertised as a 'Show and Tell' - they were lucky I bothered to read the Email.  :facepalm:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #716 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:13:42 am »
Announcement yesterday that Our Department [TM] would be merging with Another Department [TM] and that the boss of Another Department [TM] would be the new head honcho of The New Combined Department [TM]. 

Diligently, I went online to find out more about my new colleagues.   

OMG its all "horizontal workstreams" "investment engine rooms" and (my favourite) "value driven roadmap planning". 

FFS.   :hand:

« Reply #717 on: 08 October, 2021, 12:04:05 am »

OMG its all "horizontal workstreams" "investment engine rooms" and (my favourite) "value driven roadmap planning". 

FFS.   :hand:

I can't begin to think what that is in normal speak.

B Ark?

« Reply #718 on: 15 October, 2021, 06:23:47 pm »
On a different tangent, why do people I work with regularly refer to joining a video conference as dialling in?  What makes this most bizarre is that this is used by people too young to have used a telephone dial in real life?  ???

« Reply #719 on: 15 October, 2021, 07:54:10 pm »
Because just before the zoom era Important Business was carried out by making an actual phone call to a conference call service, which you would do from an echoey meeting room and yell into an expensive plastic triangle in the middle of the table.

“Dialling” as the verb for making a phone call has long outlasted actual dials.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #720 on: 15 October, 2021, 10:49:58 pm »
On a related note, I noticed that the Ring-and-Ride service were using an ex-That-London Dial-a-Ride minibus (presumably not LEZ-compliant) the other day.

The alternative name amused me when I first moved to Brum, but if anything it makes slightly more sense.

Meanwhile, the term 'call' is synonymous with 'telephone call' to my generation. I had to point out that "we will call on you" meant in the old people turning-up-at-your-door sense when helping barakta fill in some form or other, and she was unaware of that usage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #721 on: 16 October, 2021, 01:44:24 pm »
I think "call on" is distinct from "call" in that example.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #722 on: 17 October, 2021, 12:07:00 pm »
Apparently, two coaches in our rowing club 'don't have the bandwidth to take this <coaching commitment> on'.

Yes, bandwidth. In a bloody rowing club. I thought retirement would end my exposure to this bollocks, but no.

« Reply #723 on: 22 October, 2021, 07:54:41 am »
"we will call on you"

and leave a "calling card".  No, not that kind of calling card.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #724 on: 01 December, 2021, 09:20:38 am »
It's not just management, it's infecting the junior ranks as well - I found this in a report I'm reviewing

"To facilitate the fulfilment of documentation requirements from CU to BU level efficiently"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens