Author Topic: THREE PEAKS BY BIKE + JoGLE + 4 CORNERS -- ABANDONED  (Read 3429 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
THREE PEAKS BY BIKE + JoGLE + 4 CORNERS -- ABANDONED
« on: 11 July, 2020, 08:55:52 pm »
The delay to re-instate Validations has advantages, one of which is not to worry about missing points on a ride. So day totals do not matter being short of 200km and no time limits.

Follow my Challenge

I am planning a private cycling tour of the UK, which includes a repeat (first ridden in 1980, when I set a record) of the 3 National Peaks by Bike (Caernarfon<Snowdon>Scafell Pike>Ben Nevis>Ft William), then visiting the UK 4 Corners: Cape Wrath, Duncansby Head, Lands End and Dover. It will include a N-S traverse John o’ Groats <> Lands End. From Lands End, I then traverse the S coast before returning to Cheltenham. I invite you to follow my progress on my tracker:  weblink: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/68QT Journey dates 12Jul<>9 Aug. I am keeping open my Sue Ryder Hospice Charity sponsorship link: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Poulton, in recognition of the care they provided my late wife Shirley, who lost her fight against Pancreatic cancer on 7th April.

When I pass through home In Cheltenham at end July, I should be able to do a couple DIY 200km Perms.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: THREE PEAKS BY BIKE + JoGLE + 4 CORNERS
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2020, 09:02:20 am »
He's in Keswick already - stopped in Main Street - presumably at a cafe.

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2020, 03:03:36 pm »
Looks like the batteries in his tracker have run down. Last report is at the Travelodge in Fort William before he climbed Ben Nevis at 7:50am on 18 July. :'(

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2020, 12:06:56 pm »
Locharron now (midday Monday 20th).

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2020, 12:16:01 pm »
Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know how old he is?

Fennec

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2020, 12:32:38 pm »
Steve’s about 73 I think. Incredible!

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2020, 12:49:08 pm »
Truly incredible :thumbsup:

Wow  :thumbsup:

Well done Steve  :thumbsup:

Davef

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2020, 01:20:09 pm »
Yes. He was 33 when he set the record for the 3 peaks by bicycle in 1980.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2020, 05:24:38 pm »
HERE IS THE OFFICIAL FIRST REPORT:
THREE PEAKS BY BIKE 13-18 JUL 2020

Put a few posts from my Mobile but now on PC. My 3 Peaks adventure was that and completed in 118hrs 28m, not quite the 41h 51mins of 40 years ago; but then I had a 5-man team, support van and light bikes (did I mention youth at 33). This was self-supported nostalgia, solo, laden with panniers and even cycling a lumpy route to the start in Caernarvon from Cheltenham over 2 days.

Mon 13 Jul: Left Caernarfon at 1700hrs; left Pen-y-pass 1850 Miners' path, summit 21:20. Managed to return to Miners' in heavy gloom/dusk for darkening return to PyP 23:40. Slept under awning by toilet.

Tue 14 Jul: Left 05:20 Crossed Mersey & MSC in Runcorn; difficult to find. Just S of Lancaster 23:20 slept in bus shelter.

Wed 15 Jul: Left 05:00 for Lakes. Met Chris Lister (record holder after me) in Bowness -took panniers for easy ride to Langdale ODG! Climb Rossett to Esk Hause, cloudy damp and slippery to summit. Meanwhile, Nick Ray drove bike round to Seathwaite and had new chain and pedals fitted in Keswick and then climb to join us above Esk Hause. Slipped on descent to bruise L eye and L knee. I camped at Seetoller Farm.

Thurs 16 Jul: Next day, Keswick Carlisle, Gretna old A74, now ultra-wide Cycle path; F&C in Lockerbie before climb over Beattock. to overnight by Services at Abington, arr 22:00.

Fri 17 Jul: Left 05:20 through Glasgow centre by 08:00. Egg buns nr Clydebank at roadside stall. Cycle path alongside L Lomond. Chips and coffee at Tyndrum for climb to Rannoch, helped by backwind over Rannoch Moor. Then descent to Glencoe into strong head wind. No accom in Ft William so slept in Glencoe Toilet block (50p entry- proper Audax price).

Sat 18 Jul: Next day easy to Ft William; Wetherspoons for breakfast 08:00 had to wait 20mins to open; they did not like me sleeping in the doorway! Chris had arranged for Brian Sharp and Katie Young to join me for Ben Nevis. They found my in W'spoons. Left YHA Glen Nevis 09:30; 3h 18mins to summit; 2h 20 return Cycle to sea level by Rail station; Tot time 118hrs 28mins.
Night in Craig Nevis G/H.

I dedicate this ride/climb firstly to my late wife Shirley, who was in my team in 1980 but secondly to my 4 companions in the hill, Chris, Nick, Brian and Katie for guiding me through and providing instant friendship as fellow mountaineers. Symbolically, Katie's first climb of The Ben.

Now continuing with phase 2 to link UK 4 Corners. Today recovery day before continuing holiday after epic expedition.

Stats: Long way, some hard climbing/crawling with panniers, countless catnaps.
OK: 675km  6000m climbing (excluding mountain sections) and 118hrs 28mins

Taking a day off with friends in Lochcarron. Tracker batts recharged. Hoping for easier cycling to Cape Wrath and Duncansby Head, then dash down my version of the JoGLE trail. Sorry if Tracker missed some of the fun.
SteveP

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2020, 05:52:00 pm »
Thought you might be laid up in the Locharron Medical Centre, Steve. All the best (and of the weather): may it turn northerly when you so want.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2020, 05:58:17 pm »
Thought you might be laid up in the Locharron Medical Centre, Steve. All the best (and of the weather): may it turn northerly when you so want.

Spotted that on theTracker next to friends bungalow and joked would not need it! Did! Have a touch of urinatory tract infection. Spot on NHS.
SteveP

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Re: THREE PEAKS BY BIKE + JoGLE + 4 CORNERS -- ABANDONED
« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2020, 11:37:59 pm »

Spotted that on the Tracker next to friends bungalow and joked would not need it! Did! Have a touch of urinatory tract infection. Spot on NHS.
That was 3 days ago. Body malfunctioned with blocked bladder (UTI) which needed a catheter after blockage to bladder; then constipation from dehydration, which cleared this am; then low bloods (check of kidney function) and then lower legs swelling.

Earlier decided to check on camping opportunities further N to discover only fully supported units accepted. So deeply regret returning via Inverness with friend lift to either Raigmore Hospital or B&B, depending on results from 2nd bloods.

No complaints though, as, earlier stated main aim was repeat of 3 Peaks by Bike after 40 yrs.
SteveP

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2020, 05:54:44 am »
Thanks for the updates Steve. Best wishes to you; congrats on the 40 (!) years later Bike 3 Peaks in good time.
Hope you also achieve success at handling the malfunctioning and the regrets!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2020, 07:42:13 am »
Always an inspiration!

bairn again

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »
  Bad luck, but much respect for giving it a go. 

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2020, 05:20:54 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Steve, but it was a heck of a challenge!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2020, 05:36:51 pm »
Well done on the Three Peaks, Steve. Thank goodness you weren't on a series of sanctioned 200k audaxes.

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2020, 05:47:42 pm »
Great efffort and main objective achieved.  I haven’t got further than my neighbouring counties since start of lockdown. So well done.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 24 July, 2020, 10:49:33 pm »
Sorry to hear about the nature of your abandonment.
Doing the 3 peaks by bike is impressive on its own.

I've cheated my way up Snowdon and been up Scafell Pike the proper way but the Ben's never suffered my foot or tyre prints.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #19 on: 26 September, 2020, 12:33:56 pm »
Since my serious exhaustion (which also resulted in diagnosis of an enlarged prostate with associated urinary issues) after my (40yr repeat Audax-style) National 3Peaks by Bike (Report in a future Arrivee), my body eventually recovered and I was able to continue my RRTY campaign with a vengeance in August with 3x 200km rides.

That spurred me to make the most of the end of Summer by designing an assault on the Welsh 3 Peaks by Bike. I have a full report, submitted to Arrivee but in a nutshell: Ride (Aug DIY 200km) to Chester, followed by leisurely ride to Llanberis. Now set for ride to climb Snowdon on 1 Sep, ride to Tywyn, weather day off; climb Cadair Idris, ride to Rhayadar; ride to Brecon, climb Pen-y-fan; next day joined my Mountaineering Club for another Brecons walk; ride home to Cheltenham.

I accepted the Strava 300mile in September Challenge with this exped achieving 276 miles. Two x200km rides later and one planned for tomorrow, so 500miles + already achieved.
Cancer Research UK: Recognising my brush with and losing my wife to Cancer in April, I am supporting CRUK by cycling at least 300 miles during September. Whilst my expedition gave me 447 miles, 276 were in September, so nearly there with 24 days to spare! You can support CRUK by visiting my Just Giving page:

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/stephens-cycle-300-fundraising-page-181

The Welsh 3 Peaks is a mini Challenge (recognised as a 24hr Challenge) compared against the National version. It is easier to organise and, as I have shown, easily achievable in a week by a reasonably fit cyclist/mountaineer. Each mountain has several ascent routes, so offer ample choice to match ability. Cycling the route is a viable option with accommodation options well placed for variety and price. I might even repeat this one next September if Strava/CRUK invite another 300mile Challenge.

Stephen Poulton Cheltenham September 2020 (now Double 3peaker!)
SteveP