Author Topic: James May on bicycles  (Read 3125 times)

James May on bicycles
« on: 16 December, 2012, 05:16:57 pm »
James May seems to write about bikes as much as he writes about cars these days.

An article about cycling by James May on topgear.com

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LEE

Re: James May on bicycles
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »
Perhaps he's getting on the bandwagon.

Colin Murray has a cycling slot on his radio show now.

It's all good news if presenters see an opportunity to commentate positively on the cycling "revolution".  The more the better.

I don't want to be special...I want to be normal.  One day, even the most White Vannish of White Van drivers may see us as normal, not positive, not negative...just cyclists on the road.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »
I'm perfectly familiar with all the regular objections to bicycles and the cult of cycling, but they're all just cant, really.

Good man.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2012, 05:51:47 pm »
He has ridden a LEJOG in the past (as a teenager IIRC)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2012, 11:16:07 pm »
Don't read the bottom half of that. It's all idiots saying "I've no problem with cyclists, as long as they're not wearing lycra. Then I'll run them down ;)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2012, 07:37:27 am »

Both he and The Hamster have been regular cyclists for years.  Nothing to do with bandwagons...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2012, 08:48:44 am »
Don't read the bottom half of that. It's all idiots saying "I've no problem with cyclists, as long as they're not wearing lycra. Then I'll run them down ;)

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the comments! I thought they'd be far worse than they are...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2012, 02:00:37 pm »
This is one of the best articles I've read  in a long time.
Cyclists all miserabilists? Yep, I can relate to that.
He debunks the road tax, etc argument well, saying cyclists are just pedestrians with extra levers.
Well done, James May - now get a hair cut.  :thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2012, 02:57:00 pm »

Both he and The Hamster have been regular cyclists for years.  Nothing to do with bandwagons...

I meant the bandwagon of people who now see:

1) The cycling lobby is getting bigger and more powerful
2) That MAMIL-bashing is tired and lazy journalism that less people find funny
3) That Jeremy Clarkson is a c*** (even though he pays your wages)
    To Clarkson's credit he did screen a race across London where the bike won.
4) That there may be more media jobs coming, related to cycling, so it wouldn't hurt to get my name out there.

But mainly (2). 

Good article, very positive.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 18 December, 2012, 10:26:09 pm »
And he's right, up to a point, about the greeting, the smiling and the superiority suits.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:07:25 pm »
And he's right, up to a point, about the greeting, the smiling and the superiority suits.

I think the time may come when we stop acknowledging every other cyclist we meet. It'll be sad but as the numbers increase probably inevitable. I am seriously considering giving up in the New Forest on a Sunday - too many 1000 mile stares with the implication " who is this idiot".

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »

I think the time may come when we stop acknowledging every other cyclist we meet.

It's all about context, isn't it?  I'll acknowledge most cyclists out in the lanes; anyone riding an unusual bike (assuming I am); anyone cycling in apocalyptic weather conditions; small children; anyone where one or both of us have made an effort to enable passing on a narrow path; fellow sheffield stand users, etc.  I won't wave at everyone who happens to be riding a bike on the road or busy commuter Sustrans route.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »

I think the time may come when we stop acknowledging every other cyclist we meet.

It's all about context, isn't it?  I'll acknowledge most cyclists out in the lanes; anyone riding an unusual bike (assuming I am); anyone cycling in apocalyptic weather conditions; small children; anyone where one or both of us have made an effort to enable passing on a narrow path; fellow sheffield stand users, etc.  I won't wave at everyone who happens to be riding a bike on the road or busy commuter Sustrans route.

^^^^this is it really

I'll always wave/nod/say hello out in the laney bits of the world; but wouldn't dream of it in, say, Richmond Park (I've tried - clearly it spoils your perfect aero TT tuck if you even look happy about being on a bike, so I don't expect much waving/nodding from the TT brigade!)

Clearly always wave at fellow tandemistas when we are on ours (much the same as Kim above when she's on her weird and wonderful bikes). 

Total aside - I passed him today (he wasn't on a bike, but on the pavement with a couple of other people in Hammersmith) - I thought he'd given up smoking - bad man.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #13 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »
Most people in the lanes I can reach within 30 miles of West London seem to have given up - just too many cyclists. I do to keep it going, but recently rode to box hill on a sunny day - I would have been waving the whole ride it was mad.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »
There's also an exemption clause for cyclists travelling faster than 25mph.  Either because you're not worthy, or because they've got important descending to do.

« Reply #15 on: 19 December, 2012, 04:10:22 pm »
There's also an exemption clause for cyclists travelling faster than 25mph.  Either because you're not worthy, or because they've got important descending to do.

This seems to be the default position for 90% of the riders who I nod to/handlebar flick when I pass them in the lanes around NW Kent. Except they're rarely descending or going more than 20 miles an hour in any case - Cervelo poseurs owners being the worst. Followed by etc etc

Good article by May in general, and I agree with him in that it's either become all a bit po-faced and serious or I get annoyed with people who bought a bicycle three weeks ago and now present it to me as if they've discovered the cure for all society's ills.. It's only a bike FFS, and riding them is something that a lot of us have been doing since not long after we learned to walk.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

LEE

« Reply #16 on: 19 December, 2012, 04:25:07 pm »
I rented a Motorhome last year and got tired of waving back at all the other Motorhome drivers.  The rental company never warned me about it.

I imagine there was a time, 30 years ago, when you may say "Look, someone else in a Motorhome, let's all wave", just as Volvo drivers used to acknowledge each other, but seriously...when you live near the A303 (the route to Cornwall) you can get a repetitive strain injury.

Whilst cycling on local lanes I always nod, wave or "morning!"  other cyclists.  I wouldn't bother on a regular cycle commute, to other obvious cycle commuters though.