Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186417 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #550 on: 08 March, 2018, 10:46:45 am »
You know you’re middle aged when you find other people’s workshop photos endlessly fascinating  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #551 on: 08 March, 2018, 11:07:03 am »
Bookshelf syndrome: when you lose track of what the interviewee is saying because you're trying to make out the titles in the bookshelf in the background.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Oscar's dad

« Reply #552 on: 08 March, 2018, 11:54:48 am »
;D

That is a good likeness to your avatar, OD. Whenever I see a grinning smiley I will be reminded of you.

;D  ‘Tis my legendary photo face!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #553 on: 08 March, 2018, 11:55:37 am »
Grinning like a loon!

Cheers me up every time I see it  :thumbsup:

T42, you're workshop is bigger than my entire bike shop!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #554 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:57:03 pm »
Just luck. We didn't really want a barn when we bought the house, but it was there and had the workshop set into it. I suppose it would originally have been used for storing and fettling harnesses & suchlike.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #555 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:46:37 pm »
Bookshelf syndrome: when you lose track of what the interviewee is saying because you're trying to make out the titles in the bookshelf in the background.
I was middle aged as a kid, then :( :( :(
Getting there...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #556 on: 08 March, 2018, 07:00:58 pm »
Is there any logical reason why the WD40 and GT85 are on different shelves?  ;)
Solvents on one shelf, lubricants on another?

Sort of - the lower shelf has the more frequently used stuff - the eagle-eyed may spot that in addition to the WD40 on the upper shelf there is a spray can of 3-in-1 oil and one of Waxoyl for occasional use inside steel frames.

Rob

BTW- this workshop thing is an obsession .... I now manage an LBS and have just revamped the workshop and tool-board there.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #557 on: 09 March, 2018, 08:57:57 am »
I don't like to brag but . . . . . from my man-cave with everything in its place and a place for everything.

The woodworking department is on the other wall!

Rob

That makes me so happy!  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #558 on: 11 March, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
A new toaster makes you unreasonably happy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #559 on: 11 March, 2018, 04:30:03 pm »
Chatting to a chap at last night's gig who was accompanied by his teenage son.  Discovering that we attended an awful lot of the same gigs in the 1980s.  Some of which we'd prefer to forget for e.g. a post-makeup Kiss at Wembley Arena, Hawkwind having Vera Lynn as a special guest* in Crystal Palace Park.  Thanks, Mike!

* I had forgotten that one, or at least the Vera Lynn part of it
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #560 on: 11 March, 2018, 04:36:23 pm »
You read the obit in the BMJ of the suicide doctor who was young enough to be your daughter.
 :'(
My younger sister's youngest son turned 18 this week; he is older than most of the MSD 'kids'. Said sister's oldest so turns 30 next year.

« Reply #561 on: 11 March, 2018, 04:52:20 pm »
I don't like to brag but . . . . . from my man-cave with everything in its place and a place for everything.

The woodworking department is on the other wall!

Rob

That makes me so happy!  :D

I think we are overdue a picture of Tewdric's SEEKRIT BWWWWWNKER....
I've struggled to find it....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #562 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:12:47 am »
'to can' confuses me. No, that's wrong 'to can' has me completely confounded.

The only thing I can think for it is in putting food or similar in a tin can, 'to can food', but how this fits into the context of the sentence I can't work out and why we would want a word specifically for something as none day to day as canning food, I can't even begin to comprehend. All this would lead me to the conclusion that I have completely missed the point, and Google has only confused me further.

Of course, my general lack of English skills (as apposed to language skills) and dyslexia don't help at all.
It's not really to 'can' it's to 'can even', which is the playful logical opposite[1] of 'can't even' as it appears in "I can't even...", a common construction denoting speechlessness with the actual verb (probably something like "begin to explain how I feel about this") being left as an exercise for the reader.

So being able to can even suggests that you're full able to articulate your emotions.  Or something.

[1] See also: Molish
How about "to Marmite even"? Okay, I'm exaggerating, it was actually just "to Marmite" with an "even" used normally for emphasis.
"Do you even Marmite, bro?"
The context is one lot of teenagers (British) ribbing another (Australian), and suddenly it all makes sense.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #563 on: 14 March, 2018, 04:00:17 pm »
A topical one: ...when you know who Jim Bowen was. (I like this one cos it makes me either still young or already old!)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #564 on: 14 March, 2018, 04:07:43 pm »
A topical one: ...when you know who Jim Bowen was. (I like this one cos it makes me either still young or already old!)

"Let's see what you could have won!" [Either a Mini Metro or a speed boat  ;D ]

ian

« Reply #565 on: 14 March, 2018, 04:21:46 pm »
That man bears much of the responsibility for the epidemic of speedboats left parked outside council houses in landlocked parts of Britain.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #566 on: 15 March, 2018, 01:00:45 pm »
You burst my bubbles! I've noticed the front garden speedboat phenomenon but now instead of thinking "Young adventurer in the spirit of Donald Campbell, life on the edge, proud seafaring tradition," I shall think "Middle aged beer gut, four-pack of Carling and twenty Bensons on the sofa in front of daytime TV."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #568 on: 15 March, 2018, 01:56:48 pm »

There has to be a name for somebody great having their death upstaged by that of a mere entertainer.

Jean d'Ormesson, one of the greatest French writers and philosophers of the last hundred years, once observed that it would be truly unfortunate to have one's death immediately followed by that of a pop singer. He died last December, and within 24 hours Johnny Hallyday kicked the bucket.

« Reply #569 on: 15 March, 2018, 02:21:49 pm »
I've seen the term 'Huxleyed' used, after Aldous Huxley, who died on the same day as JFK (as did CS Lewis).

« Reply #570 on: 15 March, 2018, 02:32:56 pm »
I've seen the term 'Huxleyed' used, after Aldous Huxley, who died on the same day as JFK (as did CS Lewis).

I understood that a JFK was a euphamism for a headache.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #571 on: 15 March, 2018, 02:43:41 pm »
Seems like a good time to repost this thread: https://twitter.com/davidWhill14/status/959712290269429760
That is fascinating.  Thanks
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #572 on: 15 March, 2018, 03:17:16 pm »
Seems like a good time to repost this thread: https://twitter.com/davidWhill14/status/959712290269429760
That is fascinating.  Thanks
1981 was a very long time ago. Only four years after having "No Compassion" was noteworthy enough for a Talking Heads song. Though perhaps it's even the other way round; now "compassion is a virtue" and in 1981 it was normal? Or perhaps it's just Jim Bowen or his producers! But "Strike It Rich" shows it's not a one-way movement.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #573 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:28:10 am »
You remember all too clearly how incredibly wealthy you felt when an uncle or an aunt gave you a half-crown or, wonder of wonders, a 10/- note and then you realise how very, very little such sums will buy nowadays.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #574 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:12:02 pm »
You remember all too clearly how incredibly wealthy you felt when an uncle or an aunt gave you a half-crown or, wonder of wonders, a 10/- note and then you realise how very, very little such sums will buy nowadays.

I recall that the first pint I bought, in my local rugby club bar after a game (and I was about 16 at the time!), was 2/6. Or 4 pints for 10 bob - not that I ever bought 4 pints.......  My dad would have had something to say about that. 

(Goes off to finish nacelle fettling - just a couple more cut-outs and screw fittings to go........)