Author Topic: Do you shrink significantly throughout the day?  (Read 3042 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Do you shrink significantly throughout the day?
« on: 16 July, 2019, 10:40:09 pm »
Not a daft question, but in the mornings on my commute, I feel well balanced on Olive, but after working all day, on the return journey, I feel too stretched out. I reduced my stem from 100 to 90, but I still feel stretched. But if I go out for a day ride, I'm fine. My commute is approx 50 km return

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Do you shrink significantly throughout the day?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2019, 11:24:32 pm »
Not a daft question, but in the mornings on my commute, I feel well balanced on Olive, but after working all day, on the return journey, I feel too stretched out. I reduced my stem from 100 to 90, but I still feel stretched. But if I go out for a day ride, I'm fine. My commute is approx 50 km return

The body does change over the day, tho it depends a lot from person to person, and body part to body part. I know when I used to sell hiking boots, we used to advise that people buy shoes in the afternoon as their feet would be slightly longer then.

It's plausible that the spine compresses slightly over the course of a day. Tho I have no research to back this up. I'd be interested to see what you find out.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2019, 11:26:09 pm »
I have to adjust the rear view mirror in the car morning and afternoon, such is my shrinkage/hunchage from being propped at a computer all day.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2019, 11:40:30 pm »

Thinking about it, why don't you measure you're height when you are about to leave the house in the morning, and do it again when you get home, see what the difference is...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2019, 05:40:55 am »
I have to adjust the rear view mirror in the car morning and afternoon, such is my shrinkage/hunchage from being propped at a computer all day.

I do the same thing (regarding mirrors), but I  was assuming that it was due to the car seat getting softer in the afternoon sun, and harder in the cold night. I may be wrong, I don't know!

A

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2019, 07:09:40 am »
Your feet spread and your spine shortens from weight, so if you want to calculate your BMI get weighed and measured before breakfast.  If you work in an office you'll also have a dose of breadwinner's crouch by knocking-off time.

Astronauts in orbit for long periods get taller by up to 3% - ~2" for a 6-footer.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ben T

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2019, 08:50:22 am »
If this is the case, then you must get taller again during the night, otherwise after a few weeks you would end up about 3' 6". The solution, therefore, is to simply sleep standing up so this does not happen.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2019, 08:57:54 am »
It depends whether you consume "eat me" or "drink me".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2019, 08:58:29 am »
If this is the case, then you must get taller again during the night,
Seriously, yes you do.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:18:22 am »

I do the same thing (regarding mirrors), but I  was assuming that it was due to the car seat getting softer in the afternoon sun, and harder in the cold night. I may be wrong, I don't know!

A

Car seats are usually sprung under all those cushions. so "shouldn't" suffer much from heat shrinkage!

If this is the case, then you must get taller again during the night, otherwise after a few weeks you would end up about 3' 6". The solution, therefore, is to simply sleep standing up so this does not happen.

Yes, your spine etc. relax again as you sleep.

Thinking about it, why don't you measure you're height when you are about to leave the house in the morning, and do it again when you get home, see what the difference is...

J

Measuring your height at home usually involves stretching your back into a straight line against a wall or similar.
You'd need ones of those doctory height measurers that doesn't involve a wall and the test subjects would need to be telt no tae stretch their backs afore the measure.

Like this:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/medical-visit-height-measurement-senior-women-34443220.jpg

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2019, 11:08:03 am »
Terry Pratchett applies - given that a human body is around 60% water, you're all suffering from a mild case of chronic tides. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:26:28 pm »
Very likely. My knee generally doubles in size (or something like that) during the day depending a bit on what I'm doing - the more active the more bloated and full of fluid. I don't know how much my back moves during the day but it has already lost about 3" permanently with vertebral wear and tear.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2019, 09:04:36 am »
I'm shrinking significantly away from reading anything more about Boris.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight