Author Topic: Electric bikes  (Read 22346 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Electric bikes
« Reply #100 on: 11 December, 2015, 04:44:50 pm »
I think you mean watt motor, not battery. Anything over 250 watts is technically illegal.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #101 on: 11 December, 2015, 04:56:38 pm »
I believe they are Watt-hour battery capacities.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #102 on: 11 December, 2015, 05:08:35 pm »
The brochure says "the Yamaha motor produces 80 nm of torque." On both bikes,with the more expensive bike having a larger range capacity presumably.I am more interested about what this means in the real world.Unfortunately the salesperson did not know, the bikes are not available until March anyway. :facepalm:

« Reply #103 on: 12 December, 2015, 07:52:02 am »
I think you mean watt motor, not battery. Anything over 250 watts is technically illegal.
Mine is 250w, but is still illegal. The makers made it so easy to up the maximum speed limiter past the 15.5mph limit that I couldn't resist. It now cuts out at 25mph, but allows me to tootle along on the flat at 20mph with ease. Mind you, cars are legally limited to 70mph, and they have no limiter...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #104 on: 16 December, 2015, 06:58:32 pm »
That is true but there are a number of machines on the market with larger capacity motors, including some really very nice road bike lookalikes with 400W motors in the frame. Virtually unrecognisable as bikes with very discreet motors. I believe the motors are in fat operated at 250w which makes them legal, but capable of higher torque. Or so the man in the shop told me! I also think you can reprogram me the motor controller to deliver the full wattage - however the resutlt is you reduce your range dramatically as the power draw on the battery is substantial. In theory my bike should do 50k easy but not with my motor.
It is true - it os bit Clarkson but also the most fantastic way to get back on the bike when you have a big health or fitness setback. Plus got to beat the car or motorbike options.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 16 December, 2015, 07:07:14 pm »
The Falco motor in barakta's trike is physically identical to the 500W off-road model.  The road version of the firmware limits the power and speed, but you still have all the torque available, and a thermal design that's rated for a continuous 500W.  Perfectly legal, and makes good commercial sense for manufacturers.  The downside is the weight.

(Yes, it can be re-flashed with the off-road firmware if you really want to, but if you were doing that you'd just have bought the off-road model.)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #106 on: 08 February, 2016, 06:44:59 am »
Yesterday the Ebike conversion got its first trial against the vertiginous hills of the Costa blanca. 1in 4 is a section going down to the local beach, to be negotiated twice daily. Used to make steam come out of my ears on the lowest MTB gear.
Set the power to level 5, selected the low gear and set off. It was as if I had armstrongs legs, fully doped. Sailed up at a steady 10 mph without breaking a sweat. Then on up the whole of the escarpment, 500m vertical, and it just purred up it. Fantastic.
The extra power unit paid off. A win on any measure.
Locally I notice that everyone who isn't a racing snake now rides ebikes. Bike shops are full of them too. Much wider selection of models than in the uk. Have a feeling n+1 may occur while here.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #107 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:46:57 am »
Locally I notice that everyone who isn't a racing snake now rides ebikes. Bike shops are full of them too. Much wider selection of models than in the uk. Have a feeling n+1 may occur while here.

Does that mean Bosun will have to hitch back to Blighty in the spring?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #108 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:52:27 am »
First proper ride of the year today!  :D

After 10000km my ebike transmission was skipping so much that it was unrideable,  and the chainwheel looked very worn. I replaced the chain and reinstalled the original crankset,  but the cassette was beyond saving too.

EM3ev in Hong Kong have a lot  of interesting parts for the BBS01/2. I  got a couple of spare chainwheels (they also have a blingy CNC version) a speed sensor extension cable, and a power cutout button because I had been running without brake sensors.

The motor and new parts went into my old Xtracycle-equipped load-hauler, Oli. He'd had a front hub motor in a previous incarnation,  but that had always struggled a bit on the hills round here.

I'm recovering from a bad cold and a strained back , but this morning I went for a 10k shakedown ride, slow and easy, maximum assist all the way.

Through-the-gears assist + long wheelbase = a match made in heaven!   :thumbsup:

This must be the most relaxing bike I have every ridden, and wonderfully stable on the icy road. I  was ghost pedalling up the steepest hill, feeling the rear tyre slip if I tried to push any harder. Only 17 km/h average speed and 91 watt hours used,  but who cares?  ;D

The new cassette arrived for the 'fast' bike. 12-36t, so it now has a lower low than Oli - 26" v 32".  I took a spin on that when the ice had cleared, and only got halfway up the bastard hill.  ::-)

Update: Thursday morning.  Out on the 'fast' bike again before breakfast.  Worked hard enough to be Definitely Not Fun and got all the way up the hill this time. The 10k took just over 35 minutes on Oli. I don't have an exact time, but this time was at least 5 minutes slower. :(

I'll try again when I'm fitter. My fastest recorded unassisted time for the loop was under 30 minutes - 22 minutes in Shadowfax mode.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #109 on: 23 March, 2017, 07:27:45 am »
Well, here are a year on - and the electric bike is gone. Stolen under my nose (well, behind my back in fact) in the park as I was chucking balls for the dog. Unbelievable, I think it was a bloke (in a trackie so maybe I should have been more wary), who walked past me and I even said 'gd evening'! He must have just walked up, and ridden off. Boy do I feel stupid - I was a few feet away and didn't see it.
Now I have to think about a replacement. I guess that is a silver lining...
It was a thing of wonder, that bike. The next will be even better!

« Reply #110 on: 23 March, 2017, 07:32:51 am »
That's the spirit!  :thumbsup:
What a fckr.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #111 on: 25 March, 2017, 07:58:19 am »
Heads up - electric bikes are excluded from bike insurance on home and contents. Useful to know, but a bit shit.

« Reply #112 on: 25 March, 2017, 08:19:59 am »
Are you aware of www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum ? There are some bikes in the classifieds on there. Specifically an Oxygen eMate MTB, one of which I have & it's very good.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #113 on: 25 March, 2017, 09:04:49 am »
Heads up - electric bikes are excluded from bike insurance on home and contents. Useful to know, but a bit shit.
Balls. How crap is that.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #115 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »
Fugly, IMHO.  It's the grown-up equivalent of one of those plastic ride-on police motorbikes for toddlers.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #116 on: 22 July, 2019, 03:41:10 pm »
Branching out - electric scooters!
All over the place right now. Predictably being castigated as a menace but I think this is the future of urban transport. Small, nippy, easy to use.
Currently technically illegal of course but pretty much unenforced.
I am sorely tempted to add one to my stable, currently a trek MTB e-bike, a brompton home conversion. If I can think of a reason why I need a nippy little scooter I shall have one - but unfortunately I can't come up with any credible excuse. There is a nice off road one at Aldi!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #117 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:56:11 pm »
And yet another thing that everyone else will moan about, and lump users of them along with cyclists, as objects to be dealt with/attacked/run off the road.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #118 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »
Or you could view them as a new group of allies in the fight for streets that are friendly to less-than-car-sized wheeled transport.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #119 on: 23 July, 2019, 06:53:35 am »
We have an electric bike shop in our town.

Yes, I know this should be in the 15th best thing about your place of living thread..l
It is simpler than it looks.