Author Topic: The Shark 200  (Read 45084 times)

Re: The Shark 200 - Saturday 9th April
« Reply #25 on: 29 March, 2016, 06:55:19 pm »
How does it compare to Barhatch?

Most of my hill problems seem to be mental not physical. (I can ride up them no problem unclipped.)

Martin

« Reply #26 on: 29 March, 2016, 09:38:50 pm »
Nothing compares to Barhatch

« Reply #27 on: 30 March, 2016, 11:41:51 am »
Hogtrough looks a bit like Titsey Hill from its profile?

Nope..... it's harder and steeper but not as long. Titsey is a meek little stump in comparison.

LMT

« Reply #28 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:41:10 pm »
How do these compare to Whitedown hill?

Martin

« Reply #29 on: 31 March, 2016, 04:05:44 pm »
How do these compare to Whitedown hill?

straighter but probably as steep;

can we do Toys Hill and Ide Hill in reverse order pretty please? It's the way Meridian (and also my D2DR) do it, much more like it  :)

« Reply #30 on: 31 March, 2016, 04:27:38 pm »
can we do Toys Hill and Ide Hill in reverse order pretty please? It's the way Meridian (and also my D2DR) do it, much more like it  :)

That's the way we do it in GMC as well, but trying for a bit of variety here, and the routing seemed to work out slightly better this way round. The view from the Ide Hill descent is almost worth it IMHO. I will consider it for next year though based on rider feedback.

Of course, nothing to stop you riding the route in reverse (as three people did on GMC), just don't expect me to validate your brevet :-)
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #31 on: 02 April, 2016, 06:49:10 pm »
I've signed up. Looking forward to it - sort of....

« Reply #32 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:43:06 am »
I'll be doing the shark too, and I know why it's called the shark. All I'll say is it's terrifying

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #33 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:46:36 am »
I'd say it wasn't as terrifying as it was pathetic

« Reply #34 on: 03 April, 2016, 05:46:22 pm »
Just tried the southbound section (train home) to see if I'm up for the whole enchilada next week.  Couple of observations -I can vouch for the fact it is hilly - fairly relentlessly so, and some of the road surface (especially the lanes) is pretty bad, so wide tyres and lower pressures may be a good idea.  A few ride-ending potholes so beware.

Otherwise, very scenic and took me to parts I haven't ridden before.  Am seriously thinking of entering, weather co-operating!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #35 on: 03 April, 2016, 07:00:01 pm »
I'm in :thumbsup:

This will be a real test for me to complete in time, but what the hell...
All the best, Paul.

« Reply #36 on: 03 April, 2016, 07:45:37 pm »
The forecast is for light rain (or at least damp roads) so I think I will refit my mudguards this week.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #37 on: 03 April, 2016, 11:03:30 pm »
I've signed up. Looking forward to it.  :thumbsup:

That's the way we do it in GMC as well, but trying for a bit of variety here, and the routing seemed to work out slightly better this way round. The view from the Ide Hill descent is almost worth it IMHO. I will consider it for next year though based on rider feedback.

Now I think about it, I don't think I've ever gone down Ide Hill, only up it. I imagine it's a much less terrifying descent than Yorks.

I'm not familiar with Hogtrough Hill. Looks interesting.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Martin

« Reply #38 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:02:26 am »
I've signed up. Looking forward to it.  :thumbsup:

Now I think about it, I don't think I've ever gone down Ide Hill, only up it. I imagine it's a much less terrifying descent than Yorks.

I'm not familiar with Hogtrough Hill. Looks interesting.

I always go down Ide Hill on the Invicta Grimpeur as Yorks is horrid skoggy and usually a fairy fest at the bottom;

Hogtrough is much like all the hills up that side of the Downs (apart from Star Hill)

bring gears!! lots of them

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #39 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:05:22 pm »
I always go down Ide Hill on the Invicta Grimpeur as Yorks is horrid skoggy and usually a fairy fest at the bottom;

Oh yes, now you mention it, I remember you've told me that before. Sensible.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #40 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:12:32 pm »
Pffft Descending Yorks is the only time when you feel alive!

« Reply #41 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:21:31 pm »
A draft of The Shark route had the info on Yorks hill, but felt that was a bit too gratuitous.

Also, I've been riding the route on fixed, so my comments on walking above were related to that, if you have more than one gear you should be fine :-)
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #42 on: 04 April, 2016, 02:25:22 pm »
Also, I've been riding the route on fixed, so my comments on walking above were related to that, if you have more than one gear you should be fine :-)

Aaargh!  There was me breaking out the gears for this one, and now you mention fixed!  :facepalm:

Decisions, decisions  ::-)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #43 on: 04 April, 2016, 03:43:42 pm »
Ivan, family commitments later in the day precluded me from entering but, as I live only just up the hill, I'd be very happy to come over on Saturday morning and help out if you need any extra hands to give out brevet cards, etc. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #44 on: 04 April, 2016, 05:23:26 pm »
Hi Redlight, thanks for the offer, but think we will be ok as got a few ACHers helping, plus more on the ride who I can co-opt in the worst case. Feel free to come to the Old Brewery at the arrivée if you fancy a beer though.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #45 on: 04 April, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »
Looking forward to this event, even though I won't be riding - you can be sure that the route is a cracker but do keep a watch out for sharks

« Reply #46 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:47:07 pm »
Looking forward to this event, even though I won't be riding - you can be sure that the route is a cracker but do keep a watch out for sharks

That's the second time Jonah has dropped a heavy hint.... I suspect it's not only the profile that gives this ride its name....

« Reply #47 on: 05 April, 2016, 04:37:16 pm »
weather bagel forecast looking ok for this, I can feel myself being drawn in...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 05 April, 2016, 04:50:41 pm »
Feel free to come to the Old Brewery at the arrivée if you fancy a beer though.

I'm in town at a wedding in the afternoon (we're service and tea party only guests, not the full reception level), so depending on how things pan out, I might pop over and see everyone early evening.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #49 on: 05 April, 2016, 08:17:09 pm »
Would be fintastic too see you MJB