Author Topic: Indie music and 'Have you heard of...'  (Read 14363 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Indie music and 'Have you heard of...'
« Reply #25 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:07:42 pm »
The Pale Saints! One of my favourites from that time, along with Ultra Vivid Scene and Galaxie 500. I went to school with a guy who was related to the owner of 4AD, so he used to get all the stuff before release...  we were way too cool for school ;D
I also have two UVS albums (and two CD singles)!

Apparently it was "Pale Saints" without "The"; they used to get irate about this in interviews.  They came from Leeds IIRC, not the kind of place you'd expect to find ethereal shoegazing music.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

gonzo

« Reply #26 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:48:30 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JS_DBand2No&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JS_DBand2No&rel=1</a> - I couldn't find 'C'est Supercool' anywhere on the net, unfortunately, but it's a really good song.

One of the coolest music videos fora while <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1M4vzkifWVw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1M4vzkifWVw&rel=1</a>

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:53:02 pm »
Somewhere in my CD collection (now all ripped to MP3) lurk The Young Gods, Pale Saints and numerous other 4AD bands, Furniture, Snuff etc etc.

The Pale Saints! One of my favourites from that time, along with Ultra Vivid Scene and Galaxie 500. I went to school with a guy who was related to the owner of 4AD, so he used to get all the stuff before release...  we were way too cool for school ;D

:thumbsup:

Two of my fave gigs ever are The Primitives supported by Pale Saints (UEA) and the 4AD double-header: Lush & Pale Saints (Norwich Arts Centre).

My recommendation to add to the thread is Lowlife - vastly underrated Scottish indie band. To complete the 4AD theme, they featured Will Heggie, the original bassist from Cocteau Twins.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

gonzo

« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:38:31 pm »
My recommendation to add to the thread is Lowlife

Seems to be very chilled, but rather good. Reminds me a bit of massive attack, but with guitars!

gonzo

« Reply #29 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:11:59 pm »
Chilled Indie/regae/pop style acoustic:
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANGkn9Hddn4&feature=related]The General - Dispatch[/url]

« Reply #30 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:57:19 pm »
Somewhere in my CD collection (now all ripped to MP3) lurk The Young Gods, Pale Saints and numerous other 4AD bands, Furniture, Snuff etc etc.

Galaxie 500 - fantastic, haven't come across anyone else who's actually heard of them before.  On Fire is a top album.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #31 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:30:12 am »
Galaxie 500 - fantastic, haven't come across anyone else who's actually heard of them before.  On Fire is a top album.

I have it on the original on vinyl... it is utterly self-indulgent, mopey, whiny, often appallingly badly played - and really, really excellent.  ;D

Much the same reason why I like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's first album - mix up Galaxie 500 and the Strokes and that's what you would get...  :thumbsup:

More gems of this geeky US-indie 1980s type: Violent Femmes and the utterly wonderful Beat Happening...

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #32 on: 22 April, 2008, 06:11:21 pm »
My recommendation to add to the thread is Lowlife

Seems to be very chilled, but rather good. Reminds me a bit of massive attack, but with guitars!

First time I've heard a comparison to Massive Attack! It's usually Editors meets The Smiths...

« Reply #33 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:58:42 am »
Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye

I like the fact that Pandora thinks I'm in the US. After feeding it enough Muse, Incubus, Radiohead, Audioslave, Franz Ferdinand, ...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 13 August, 2008, 11:01:26 am »
I like the fact that Pandora thinks I'm in the US. After feeding it enough [...] Audioslave...

That could be why ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #35 on: 13 August, 2008, 11:44:42 am »
Another vote for Modest Mouse, and whilst on that vein, FireHose.

Firehose, wow somebody else has heard of Firehose!!!  One of my fave bands from the late 80s early 90s, along with Daydream Nation era Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, early Soundgarden, Wedding Present....

Pandora....I thought you could no longer access it in the UK???

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #36 on: 13 August, 2008, 11:51:10 am »
Pandora....I thought you could no longer access it in the UK???

It depends on your postcode, works fine from Wimbledon 90210 :D

« Reply #37 on: 13 August, 2008, 12:23:30 pm »
I used to use the postcode of a Florida airport hotel I once stayed in but now all I get is a message saying "We think you're in the UK with this IP address....Please contact us if this is incorrect".

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #38 on: 13 August, 2008, 03:46:21 pm »
Didn't FireHose come out of the ashes of The Minutemen?

Another big Galaxie 500 fan here. If you like them you'll like Low.

« Reply #39 on: 13 August, 2008, 04:59:03 pm »
Yep, Mike Watt was bassist / lyricist for both The Minutemen and Firehose.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #40 on: 13 August, 2008, 05:18:49 pm »

Not necessarily!  I'm not a particular fan of Low...

« Reply #41 on: 13 August, 2008, 06:25:02 pm »
An excellent book on this subject (a few of the bands in it have been mentioned - Dinosaur Jr, Minutemen, Beat Happening...) is Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad.  It's a great read.

Mclusky seemed to be one of those bands that no-one had ever heard of.  And, funnily enough, Future of the Left (Mclusky's former singer's current band) are playing Newcastle on Saturday. Hmm...

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #42 on: 14 August, 2008, 06:35:22 pm »

Not necessarily!  I'm not a particular fan of Low...

I find that Low vary in quality a lot. 'Things We Lost in the Fire' is stunning but everything I've bought/heard since has underwhelmed me  :(

I really like what I've heard by Thomas Tantrum . The new Ting Tings! Maybe...

...and the singer sounds a bit like the one from My Toys Like Me too.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #43 on: 14 August, 2008, 07:45:53 pm »

One to avoid in my book then... The Ting Tings are utter shite IMHO.  :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #44 on: 15 August, 2008, 01:21:47 pm »

One to avoid in my book then... The Ting Tings are utter shite IMHO.  :)

As, IMHO, most of the current crop of such bands e.g The Black Kids, Ting Tings etc etc.

One day we will get some decent bands that get into the charts, but I'm not holding my breath...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #45 on: 15 August, 2008, 08:45:59 pm »
Indie originally stood for independant record label ....

probably these days it stands for "published on Myspace" like these lads

(swoons with avuncular pride)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #46 on: 18 August, 2008, 02:02:17 pm »
Indie originally stood for independant record label

correct, but then became bastardised to mean those bands that could not get signed to large labels, but were, in effect signed to large labels (as large labels started creating small pseudo-indie labels which tended to have just one band signed to them(i.e. Terrorvision with total Vegas Recording, which was actually fully owned by Polydor, IIRC)).  This moniker started to become debased a bit as the "indie" labels started to become as large as some of the smaller big players (Sub-Pop, Def Jam etc etc) and the gendre they covered widened, so you started to see dance, Soul, R&B etc etc labelled as Indie.  It has now become so dilute that bands such as Franz Ferdinand were originally labelled Indie, even though they were signed to a major.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

gonzo

« Reply #47 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:13:00 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGhn8zV17wc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/fGhn8zV17wc&rel=1</a>

It takes a little while to really get addictive, but after a while you'll break out shouting SI-RENS at the most inappropriate times!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #48 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:30:52 am »
I used to follow Indie music in the 80s

Me and my sister even did a fanzine that lasted exactly one issue
In the 90s music of the Indie style and the Indie dress sense  became mainstream
Fortunately for me I developed a liking for techno music at this point.  I released a couple of records on a german label- that's indie!This scene remained underground until a few years later.  Then I pretty much lost interest in comtemporary music and listened to jazz, ancient and country music.

Funny though last couple of years as music in the UK is now a different beast.  The commercial and enthusiast wings used to be of different minds but now they have the same head.  I can now listen to NME radio without it annoying 7 shades of shite out of me

Really Ancien

« Reply #49 on: 06 January, 2009, 10:06:58 am »
I hadn't realised how tightly defined 'shoegazing' was, Shoegazing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought it encompassed the whole 'indie' scene.

Damon.