Author Topic: Garmin Edge 530/830 vs Etrex 32X?  (Read 18450 times)

Re: Garmin Edge 530/830 vs Etrex 32X?
« Reply #75 on: 21 November, 2022, 08:40:20 am »
I had a colleague ask me a very similar question. I have a 530 and at £150 there's no reason to turn it down.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: 16 December, 2022, 09:15:44 am »

After my trusty Garmin 810 fell off and got run over by a lorry I decided to replace it with another Garmin, as on the whole I had been happy with the brand.

The replacement considerations were all the more 'cycling' focused rechargeable Garmin Edge range as apposed to the Etrex; I never go anywhere overnight with no access to power so the replaceable battery advantages you get with Etrex range were for me not a consideration. My short (ish) wish list were the 530, 830, and 1040, plus I also really like the Explore 2 interms of features but the battery life is not quite as impressive as the others. For me in the summer of 2022 the clear winner was the 830 as the 1040 is too big for my liking. The 530 is in many ways a cheaper version of the 830 but with 'buttons' versus 'swipe screen', the latter I find more intuitive to use plus as it was one of the buttons that failed on my 810 the 830 was my personal choice over the 530; (click for pictures of my 'home made' button repair that worked perfectly).

Initial findings compared to my old 810 is that although overall the unit is smaller as you can see in that picture above the screen size isn't actually that much different, being slightly wider but not quite as high; in use the size is so similar I can't really tell any difference. In reality for me it ticks all the same boxes the 810 but with bigger ticks; longer lasting battery, much brighter screen, neater design and bearing in mind the demise of my 810 this one has a 'Tether' that allows you to secure the unit to the bike handlebar. I only bought the head unit as the cadence sensor still works from the 810. The settings and menus are similar, you can definitely tell it has the same DNA; I have found the transition quite painless. I still use www.alltrails.com to compose a course and upload them to the unit by dragging the file into the 'new files folder' using the genuine lead; I have found that other leads that seem to fit perfectly may not transfer the data accurately. I also only upload a route from the site I composed it from; I never compose one on one site then add that to Connect Garmin so I can then 'Bluetooth' that to the unit via the phone app for example.

Like the 810 the 830 offers so many features that I just don't use; but I dare say many of us can say that about a piece of tech, I can't deny I only use a fraction of what it has to offer; if the Explore 2 battery life was a good as the 830 (16 v 20 hours) then I'd bought that and saved myself £100.00! In the end I factored in how long I got out of the 810, if this one lasts as long my reasoning is that over nine years the extra investment was worth it.

« Reply #77 on: 16 December, 2022, 02:45:17 pm »
Like you, I've moved from the 810 to the 830 and pretty much agree with everything you say. The screen resolution and brightness on the 830 is so much better so I can actually read the small print clearer than I could on the 810.

One thing I would like to ask is how did you find the bluetooth on the 810? With mine, I had great difficulty getting it to sync with Garmin Connect on my phone, it was very hit and miss, many times it would say it was connected but completed rides would not upload and planned routes would not download. It was so unreliable that I gave up, switched off bluetooth and just used a cable connection to the computer. The 830 is much, much more reliable in this respect and has often uploaded the route to my phone almost as soon as I've pressed the stop button and not even got off my bike!
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: 16 December, 2022, 03:13:12 pm »
Like you, I've moved from the 810 to the 830 and pretty much agree with everything you say. The screen resolution and brightness on the 830 is so much better so I can actually read the small print clearer than I could on the 810.

One thing I would like to ask is how did you find the bluetooth on the 810? With mine, I had great difficulty getting it to sync with Garmin Connect on my phone, it was very hit and miss, many times it would say it was connected but completed rides would not upload and planned routes would not download. It was so unreliable that I gave up, switched off bluetooth and just used a cable connection to the computer. The 830 is much, much more reliable in this respect and has often uploaded the route to my phone almost as soon as I've pressed the stop button and not even got off my bike!
I'm not one for looking back at the data from a ride I have just completed that much, most of the time I can quickly see what I need on the unit, so I seldom used Bluetooth to sync it with my phone for clearer analysis; plus I always use a genuine Garmin lead to drag new routes into the 'new files' folder as apposed Bluetooth; so most of the time to conserve battery I turned it off; plus like you it often struggled to connect in the first place so to be honest I kind of gave up trying to use it. Personally I found uploading routes to the Garmin via a genuine lead resulted in a more stable and accurate experience, it 'crashed' in use far less and the route replicated what I actually composed. I recall plotting the odd route through London across the Thames that would often include a long section in the North sea where it couldn't handle going across the river! Arguably more out of habit the method that I found gave me the most stable accurate user experience on that 810 and the features that I actually want out of it I have simply carried forward to the 830

I bought mine far more to use as a small neat device to enjoy planning a course on my laptop (in the past that would have been sitting on the toilet with an Ordnance survey map...), then following that course on my Garmin and for that role the 810 did work well enough for me; yes occasionally it did drive me around the bend instead of navigating me around it but I confess if it hadn't fallen off I'd till be using it; it worked well enough for me wanting a replacement when the 810 got run over that's for sure. In reality I use the 830 in pretty much in same way and using the same features I had been with the 810, although I have yet to feel the need to carry a powerbank and I do prefer the brighter clearer display; I am pleased with it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #79 on: 16 December, 2022, 05:42:32 pm »
Having read this page and read the Rainmaker review of the new Edge Explore 2, last week I bought one and have lived with it for a week now.
That's useful. Mrs Santa has suggested one of these and I'm hopeful. Wish I'd seen this before that happened actually, but don't think it would have changed things. Roll on Christmas...

« Reply #80 on: 28 December, 2022, 09:15:04 am »
I’ve had the Edge Explore 2 since September.  Seeing about 30 hours battery life in battery saver mode.  Pleased with its other functions and a great clear screen.  I have a screen protector on the touch screen and touch works just fine with that. After a ride it syncs to Garmin Connect through the phone before I get in the house.

« Reply #81 on: 28 December, 2022, 11:45:38 am »
It's certainly looking good. Tested positive on Christmas morning :( which scuppered trying it out in (and riding to) the Boxing Day 10, but looking forward to giving it a go in a few days.

« Reply #82 on: 21 May, 2023, 02:57:25 pm »
After over a year, Edge 830 battery still seems pretty good.  6hrs ride, with linked varia, & HRM, screen on constantly - down to 65% remaining.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #83 on: 03 June, 2023, 12:56:36 pm »
Anyone know how to set always on direction field to the top of the map on the 830?  It's the L/R arrows turn in e.g. 200m directions, with road name...
I had this set, but a week or so ago while on a ride and trying to find some other setting, I managed to turn it off somehow... 

ETA.  Ok, think it's...
Activity Profiles> Profile > Navigation > Navigation Prompts > Map 
& also turn on "Turn Guidance" in Courses settings under main 'homescreen' "Navigation"...

« Reply #84 on: 04 June, 2023, 12:09:11 am »
Activity Profiles> Profile > Navigation > Navigation Prompts > Map 

More the Activity Profiles > Profile > Navigation > Map > Guide Text (Always/Never/When Navigating)

« Reply #85 on: 04 June, 2023, 06:25:49 am »
Ah, thanks for that.  :)  Not sure how I managed to turn it off.