Author Topic: Downloading "created courses" from Garmin to PC  (Read 1494 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Downloading "created courses" from Garmin to PC
« on: 09 August, 2023, 05:08:00 pm »
I've used my Garmin Edge 100 to create 3 off 100 mile round-trip routes . . .  they are showing on the device under   Courses/Round-Trip courses as Route 1, 2 & 3.

I want to download/save the created files to my PC to look at in mapping software . .  connecting the Garmin to the PC file manager shows the device but there's no sign of the routes I've created (the only Courses visible are a couple that were uploaded from .gpx files) - I've looked through every folder that the PC shows on the device and no sign.

Mr Google remains unhelpful - lots about loading TO the Edge 1000, not the other way.

Any ideas please?

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Re: Downloading "created courses" from Garmin to PC
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2023, 05:12:26 pm »
Why aren't you using Connect or Express? I only ask because that seems the obvious way to do it.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2023, 05:22:49 pm »
Why aren't you using Connect or Express? I only ask because that seems the obvious way to do it.

Sam

. . . should have said I had a poke around on them and no sign of the round-trips I created.    Rides I have ridden are listed, no other rides. 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2023, 05:53:04 pm »
Have you actually saved them as Courses on the device? You have to do this manually, it doesn't happen automatically. They should then appear in the Courses folder when you connect the device to your PC via USB.

I don't think Courses created on the device will sync to Garmin Connect otherwise. The only other option afaik is to actually ride the Courses, then when you sync the ride to Garmin Connect, save the route as a Course.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2023, 08:14:25 pm »
Have you actually saved them as Courses on the device? You have to do this manually, it doesn't happen automatically. They should then appear in the Courses folder when you connect the device to your PC via USB.

I don't think Courses created on the device will sync to Garmin Connect otherwise. The only other option afaik is to actually ride the Courses, then when you sync the ride to Garmin Connect, save the route as a Course.

Cracked it! - totally unobvious that you need to save the created routes manually.   Saved, found in the file manager as .fit files - converted and in Mem Map.    The idea was to create some 100 mile round-trip routes and then see which one I might like to ride.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2023, 10:10:36 pm »
Cracked it! - totally unobvious that you need to save the created routes manually. 

Don’t forget this is Garmin we’re talking about… unobvious is par for the course.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."