Author Topic: Out front mount with longer Garmins  (Read 2214 times)

Out front mount with longer Garmins
« on: 15 September, 2023, 11:12:38 pm »
Mad question maybe, but I hate throwing stuff away. The original Garmin out-front mount, of which I have several, was sculpted such that the "platform" is below the highest part of the band. So, a long GPS isn't going to fit, because its base will foul the band. My mounts are fine with my Touring Plus, but I've only just noticed (because the mounts are on less-used bikes) that they don't work with my Edge Explore 2:

I've got some third-party out-front mounts that are fine. However, the Garmin ones are a ridiculous price, and a way to fix them would seem to be a thicker replaceable insert, lifting the base of the GPS up above the band. Does anyone make such a thing? I haven't found a way to locate one on eBay or similar.

No doubt that's why they've brought out the extended mount, which lifts the GPS above the band.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Out front mount with longer Garmins
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2023, 11:41:52 pm »
Like ‘Garmin Male to Garmin Female Adaptor’ but without the quarter turn?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WH28VMMS8/garmin-male-to-garmin-female-adaptor-90deg
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2023, 11:49:09 pm »
Yes, or (maybe I'm just saying the same thing a different way) with the top and bottom quarter turns off-set by 90 degrees, so that mounting that fitting brings its top slot back into line with the original one in the mount below. I suppose I could buy two of them per out-front mount, but I think that might be carrying things a bit far ;D

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2023, 07:50:02 am »
Would a plain disc with a couple holes for longer screws work or does the back of the Garmin need the support of the mount as well as the quarter turn section.

That's assuming the quarter turn bit detaches.

ETA Actually a stepped cylinder would still provide said support.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2023, 08:21:01 am »
Yes, wondered about a plain disc if I could find one to fit.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2023, 08:33:58 am »
I think it’s similar to what LittleWheelsandBig suggested; Wahoo have the same mounts as Garmin but rotated 90o so I managed to get an adapter to allow me to use the Wahoo in a Garmin mount

e.g. [size=78%]https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wahoo/ELEMNT-Quarter-Turn-Mount-Adapter/OYFG?id=1164364&gclid=CjwKCAjwpJWoBhA8EiwAHZFzfiTMmdtqiXDuXfumiK0_kiRaiRl8-2cRKqC1A8sGUYmqPfdA3EntjhoCuBgQAvD_BwE[/size]

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2023, 08:36:27 am »
Ignore what I just said as that will leave your Garmin 90o from where you want it :facepalm: - I’ve been up since 2 :(

But you could always stack a pair of them.

« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2023, 09:08:28 am »
Yes, wondered about a plain disc if I could find one to fit.
Or some sort of filler? I at first thought Araldite, though you'd have the problem of keeping it out of the threads, then I thought maybe Sugru would work, though I've never used it.

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2023, 11:08:55 am »
I think it’s similar to what LittleWheelsandBig suggested; Wahoo have the same mounts as Garmin but rotated 90o so I managed to get an adapter to allow me to use the Wahoo in a Garmin mount

You can hack a Garmin mount to accept a Wahoo device - from memory it involves removing a couple of small pieces of plastic.  I'm sure there are YT how-to vids.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2023, 03:13:51 pm »
If you want to send me the measurements I can probably whip one up. Plain/bare aluminium though as I haven't the set up for anodising. Yet.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2023, 04:13:15 pm »

You can hack a Garmin mount to accept a Wahoo device - from memory it involves removing a couple of small pieces of plastic.  I'm sure there are YT how-to vids.

OP has Edge Explore 2 GPS not a Roam etc

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2023, 04:45:57 pm »
What about taking the basic Garmin mount (the one that uses elastic bands), drill a hole through the middle and through the middle of the out front mount, countersink the hole and screw the two together (+/- a bit of glue), thus raising the Garmin?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2023, 06:16:14 pm »
i have a new spare garmin mtb mount, very sturdy and allows height and tilt adjustments. i might be willing to do the exchange, pm if interested.

« Reply #13 on: 18 September, 2023, 12:06:26 am »
Thanks everyone.

@zigzag, that's a helpful offer, I'll PM you.

@Ashaman42, thank you, as mentioned I have two of these, so it would be interesting to try even if zigzag takes one. I'll do some measurements tomorrow.

@yoav, not sure that would work, for a start the band mount isn't thick enough, and also it has various tabs that would make a clean fit difficult.

« Reply #14 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:17:53 am »
Random remarks in case anyone else ever finds this thread and is interested - wildly improbable!
  • The problem happens because of the rubber cases that many of us fit to our Garmins - I've now tried without and it just fits - but, of course, protecting the GPS is important
  • LWaB's idea would actually work because the Garmin mount has a replaceable insert, that you can turn by 90 degrees to compensate for the 90 degree turn in the suggested device - but ordering that from the States costs twice the enormous price that Garmin already charge for their mounts!
  • I have noticed that, because the leading edge of the Garmin is sculpted and the trailing isn't, the GPS fits backwards in the mount - so pointing the mount towards the rider might work. A sort of out-back mount? ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:29:27 am »
HK got a 3D-printed Wahoo/Garmin adaptor from somewhere in the UK for not too much some years ago. The link was just the first result I got when searching for the sort of thing I was talking about.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:43:16 am »
Thanks - although I need Garmin-Garmin (or a plain cylinder to insert, with longer screws, as Ashaman42 is proposing), and no-one seems to think those are necessary for some unfathomable reason ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: 19 September, 2023, 04:03:45 pm »
You can buy a SRAM Garmin mount for about £2 on Aliexpress. They work fine. Not really worth faffing with adapters.

« Reply #18 on: 19 September, 2023, 07:20:36 pm »
£2! Pretty impressive.

I did say that this thread was just because...

...I hate throwing stuff away.

« Reply #19 on: 20 September, 2023, 07:54:09 pm »
Just to say thanks to all contributors, and it looks as though zigzag and I are agreeing a swap, which will meet very well my original criterion of not throwing stuff away and getting some useful purpose out of the mounts :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 21 September, 2023, 08:28:48 am »
    • I have noticed that, because the leading edge of the Garmin is sculpted and the trailing isn't, the GPS fits backwards in the mount - so pointing the mount towards the rider might work. A sort of out-back mount? ;D
    This is how mine is mounted on the tandem.

« Reply #21 on: 25 September, 2023, 03:40:24 pm »
    Although now resolved thought id mention a possible solution incase anyone else has an issue.  As often the case its more expensive than a replacement mount but might be helpful for someone.

Raceware direct do a number of 3D printed things, this being one of them.

« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2023, 07:45:47 pm »
    Thank you. That was what I was originally looking for. You're right about cost of course.