Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3008221 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their
« Reply #28100 on: 17 January, 2022, 02:00:43 pm »
I’ve been known to use encompass but I’ve never heard compass in this context before , only a pair of compasses for the drawing of circles or a magnetic compass for navigation in historic times before GPS
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Never mind that. Marvel at the claimed fitting time of 20 seconds!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Today's post from Spitalfields Life has some interesting cycling accessories from days of yore -  https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/01/17/the-metropolitan-machinists-company/

Some of the saddles look pretty uncomfortable

Having scanned through the catalogue again I'm rather taken by the "rifle clips" ... presumably attached to the crossbar [that's "toptube" to you youngsters] . 

And the trouser clips shaped like hair-grips - I can remember having a pair like that in 1958 and being the envy of my school pals that had the circular cycle clips .... of course the roadie in the 5th form that rode a Rory O'Brien bike used toe-clip straps as trouser clips . . . IIRC he also had a double-clanger chainset.

Cudzoziemiec

a double-clanger chainset.
Like this?

Cudzoziemiec

Looking at the saddles, I'm struck by how almost all of the have cut outs. I wonder when they ceased being the norm?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Last night, I scraped the ice of the windscreen, picked up my pal Sherry, and we had a sea swim to the light of the full moon. There were probably 30 or 40 others who had already had their dip and were drinking hot fluids around a fire pit.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Last night, I scraped the ice of the windscreen, picked up my pal Sherry, and we had a sea swim to the light of the full moon. There were probably 30 or 40 others who had already had their dip and were drinking hot fluids around a fire pit.
'Kin hell. It is showing -2°C out there at the moment!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
About an hour before, I had had a stroll around the park, which is in a stream valley, and the grass was crisp with frost. The thermometer read 3°C when I left home. I was in a wetsuit. The vast majority were in swimsuits.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Looking at the saddles, I'm struck by how almost all of the have cut outs. I wonder when they ceased being the norm?

First time I was out on a saddle with a cut-out some lunk pointed at it and said "that's a woman's saddle".  Real men crushed their pubic nerves in those days.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

First time I was out on a saddle with a cut-out some lunk pointed at it and said "that's a woman's saddle".  Real men crushed their pubic nerves in those days.
But Victorian and Edwardian men preserved them!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

Water temp here* is more like 8-9ºC though. Quite pleasant once you get over the initial cold shock.

(*I'm assuming it's similar over at Wow's side of the estuary.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga

After the first WNBR?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

hellymedic

• Just do it!

My (male) partner happily used my hand-me-down saddles until they were worn out (thin Lycra on gel and foam).

These saddles have been discontinued.

Of course!

T42

• Apprentice geezer

But Victorian and Edwardian men preserved them!

Maybe the Decline and Fall of the British Empire was due to numb genitals.

Beardy

• Shedist
I have to say it’s the first time I’ve seen a headline about a pope and my first thought was to wonder how it would affect my son.

Apparently German investigators have uncovered potential misconduct by the former pope while he was a cardinal in Germany in connection with some child abuse cases. Thankfully F is a safeguarding officer for the Catholic Church in the uk and so I assume wrongdoing in Germany is outside his jurisdiction.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

I tried a cut out saddle once.
By which I mean one ride.
It felt like something was chewing me as the edges of the cut out moved.
Or is that the attraction of them?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Dunno much about sadles,
But that was close to being a pome!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-60084347

Robot vacuum cleaner escapes in Cambridge
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
Our Dualit toaster proves it’s worth again. After 20 years service it’s had two rotary switches replaced and I’ve just ordered a new heating element as a replacement for the one that went bang yesterday. So that’s three toasters saved from landfill. I only need to make another 10 or so repairs and it might even start to cost in  ;D

I am tempted to modify the toaster in the name of efficiency by replacing all the elements for ‘end’ elements and rewriting it so it doesn’t heat half the next slot when your not using all of them. But I it would require a bit of thought and the acquisition of some heat resistance insulated wire as well as the extra ‘end’ elements. It probably wouldn’t make that much of a difference in any case. And there’s always the possibility it would go bang or kill me even if it did work otherwise.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wuff!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Looking to buy a road bike while in France.

Seems the other bikes in bits aren't giving me any satisfaction being in bits.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Today the local windows cleaner sadly halfway through washing our windows, found out he was washing windows on the wrong house ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Looking to buy a road bike while in France.

Seems the other bikes in bits aren't giving me any satisfaction being in bits.

Don't forget that the brake levers will be the wrong way round if you're used to a UK spec bike . . . .