Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1605202 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13125 on: 05 May, 2021, 07:51:50 pm »
BG still thinks they serviced our boiler. They seem most bemused. I'm interested to know whose boiler and central heating they did service because it wasn't ours and we're the only occupied house on our street. Reminds me of the time when a friend of mine ordered a swanky computer (back when they cost a lot) and it was mistakenly delivered to a neighbour, and promptly took one look at their unexpected delivery and presumed Christmas in July and unpacked, plugged it in and started to use it.

Anyway, just sort it out BG, claiming that you've not serviced it wouldn't be a cunning scam, would it?

In other news, the boom-boom-boom chavchariot seems to have quieted of late, but it was parked up the road (I assume the same one, I may, of course, be guilty of profiling cars, but blacked out PoS) when I went swimming earlier, silent but engine running. Came back an hour or so later, still sat there, silent but engine running. Doesn't seem to be the car the plates think it is either, though I'll admit I may have misremembered. No one is going to bling up a Mercedes A Class.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13126 on: 05 May, 2021, 08:00:32 pm »
Of course it would be very wrong of you to creep up behind a stationary-with-the-engine-running motor-car and hold a large potato firmly against the outlet of the exhaust pipe, and we of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party would never condone such behaviour.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #13127 on: 05 May, 2021, 08:23:25 pm »
I couldn't actually tell, owing to the tints, whether it was occupied or I might have been tempted. Apparently, a bit of knotted inner tube is a nice fit, and prophylactic against vehicles left running.

Having consulted the internets however, it does seem that Mercedes have chavved up the A class from back in the day when it was a definite Mum's car. Presumably, they're competing with Audi for their share of the halfwit market.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13128 on: 05 May, 2021, 11:14:21 pm »
I appear to have convinced facebooks recommendation system that I am I terested in unionism.
This has resulted in them suggesting I might be interested in the Scottish libertarian party.

My only interest in said party is to dump their membership on a remote island with the child abuse party and freedom alliance and see how many survivors there are after a year.

It's bad enough getting Willie Rennie political advertising, but at least if there was an in person campaign going on I'd be able to tell him he's "for the birds" to his face

This may have strayed into the realms of another thread and if inappropriate for the grumble I apologise.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13129 on: 06 May, 2021, 06:57:22 am »
Quote from: ian
BG still thinks they serviced our boiler.
We're still waiting for our service which was due in May July September November Monday next.  My money's on the 10AM 'phone call, "Sorree we cant' make it, not enough technicians cos they're all on strike busy." and a further postponement.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13130 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:06:03 am »
Quote from: ian
BG still thinks they serviced our boiler.
We're still waiting for our service which was due in May July September November Monday next.  My money's on the 10AM 'phone call, "Sorree we cant' make it, not enough technicians cos they're all on strike busy." and a further postponement.

. . . our boiler service from BG has also been the victim of delays - BUT the bloke did turn up as per the latest appt date on Tuesday - not a BG employee but a sub-contractor (all seemed legit with ID and BG paperwork etc - and sign-written van) - he said that in our area almost 60% of the boiler service work is being sub-contracted.  Is that a result of the recent issues with BG employees and working time changes etc?

ian

« Reply #13131 on: 06 May, 2021, 09:48:06 am »
I wouldn't mind a delay (though to be honest, it's a far from cheap service, so you know, if you take the money, provide some service), it that's they told us he was coming, and it didn't happen, but it seems someone signed off on the service having happened. That's outside the call centre script. Anyway, they've now made it possible 'to book again online' for another visit, presumably in umpteen months. I'm not doing that. You didn't come, sort it out amongst yourselves.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13132 on: 06 May, 2021, 04:40:13 pm »
Is it not time everyone moved away from BG and their shite employment practices and supported all their ex-engineers that have just gone freelance?

Meanwhile I phoned our local maintenance co yesterday and got a servicing appointment for Monday, which surprised me somewhat.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13133 on: 06 May, 2021, 04:42:30 pm »
Anyway, what I actually came to grumble about was me getting not one, but three phone calls in the space of 2 hours from the robot voice HMRC tax fraud scammers, despite me blocking the first number.

ian

« Reply #13134 on: 06 May, 2021, 04:56:39 pm »
Laziness, and on the few occasions we've needed an engineer, they've turned up the same day. Getting someone local and recommended, which we did for a powerflush a while back, involved a six-week wait.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13135 on: 06 May, 2021, 05:07:31 pm »
Yes I get that, I'm just pointing out there are probably more locals and less BG engineers right now.

ian

« Reply #13136 on: 06 May, 2021, 06:32:41 pm »
That's the thing though, if it's one bloke with a van, there's no guarantee when you're sitting there on Christmas eve with the boiler saying 'non' (which happened to the other year and required a new circuit board). We went elsewhere for the powerflush because they wanted £850 to give our central heating a colonic. I wouldn't pay that much for Gwyneth Paltrow to do it personally.

Admittedly, that's probably not guaranteed these days, but on the few times we've needed urgent attention, BG haven't disappointed.

robgul

« Reply #13137 on: 06 May, 2021, 07:36:57 pm »
Is it not time everyone moved away from BG and their shite employment practices and supported all their ex-engineers that have just gone freelance?

Meanwhile I phoned our local maintenance co yesterday and got a servicing appointment for Monday, which surprised me somewhat.

Have to say that we got the BG service for a free (for 1 year) when we changed the supply to BG from one of the shyster suppliers (AVRO if you want to know) - for a market beating tariff.   You phone up and speak to them, beat them down to below the best that any of the comparison sites have and BG agrees for a fixed 2 years in our case - result.

Whether we get BG to service the boiler next time is open to debate.   A plus this time is that the engineer also cleaned out the magnetic filter ... which is outside the service tick-sheet work.

ian

« Reply #13138 on: 07 May, 2021, 09:44:03 pm »
Now BG have offered us £65 to forgo the service they never did but thought they did and now seem to agree they didn't. Because 'it’s been a tough time for all of us and we needed to prioritise vulnerable people and emergencies during the Covid pandemic.'

I am moved to tears. It's been so hard. They shouldn't be in such a hurry to 'thank me for my understanding.' The going rate for my understanding is a lot more than £65.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13139 on: 07 May, 2021, 11:04:28 pm »
We went elsewhere for the powerflush because they wanted £850 to give our central heating a colonic. I wouldn't pay that much for Gwyneth Paltrow to do it personally.

Admittedly, that's probably not guaranteed these days,

Well, no because she is making Queef Candles now.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #13140 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:28:03 pm »
Today's missive from British Gas. 'It's time to book your service...'

'Our engineer called but no one was home.'

I think they're just clicking random buttons on the magic computer. They've now been, not been, and tried to been.

« Reply #13141 on: 12 May, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
Neighbour has acquired a bike. Hooray!

They've decided it's going to live on an intermediate landing just below my flat. It's a wide-ish mountain bike and even with the bars turned 45 degrees the wheel sticks out and takes up most of the width such that I have to squeeze past. I'm not looking forward to taking my own bike or anything else big past.

They almost certainly don't have room for it inside their tiny flat. I'm the only person it affects other than their household.

Grumbling because it is absolutely taking the piss but I'm not too bike sympathetic to say anything.

« Reply #13142 on: 12 May, 2021, 02:38:50 pm »
I would say something if I were you. If nothing else that could be bad news in the event of a fire.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

robgul

« Reply #13143 on: 12 May, 2021, 03:35:40 pm »
I would say something if I were you. If nothing else that could be bad news in the event of a fire.

Indeed - I would guess the landlord (and his insurer) would have something to say about risk - my daughter had the same situation in the small block she lived in a while back, neighbours with bike & push-chair on the landing had their collars felt by the managing agent.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13144 on: 13 May, 2021, 09:27:40 pm »
In fairness, this is an almost-grumble.
It would have been a grumble before I realised I was wrong.

So I bought some new kitchen scales, the old one had started jumping around by +/- 10s of g when steady.
And that's not good enough for the bread-making I'm doing now.

The new one had a metal plate which seemed to be the sensitive part.
But the metal plate was recessed a few mm into the body of the scales, so that a large diameter bowl would land off on the body of the scale, and not present the full weight onto the metal plate!

But it turns out this is not an issue; the entire body of the scale is the sensitive part, not just the metal bit.
The strain gauge is between the four little feet on the base, and the body of the scale.
The weight of the scale itself is part of the measurement; it's just zeroed out.
If you pick the thing up off the table, it shows -330g, the weight of the scale.

So a bowl than misses the recessed metal bit and sits on the body of the scale will work just fine.
That's OK, then.

« Reply #13145 on: 14 May, 2021, 09:11:06 am »
I've got a load of wood being delivered today to make a new desk. I don't have a workshop/shed/garage to work in so was planning to do the cutting and drilling in the garden and then just assembly inside so as not to make a(s much of a) mess.

It is pissing with rain  :facepalm:

The circular saw does have a vacuum attachment so I guess we'll see how effective that is. It's that or be patient and wait till a nicer day.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13146 on: 14 May, 2021, 09:15:31 am »
I've got a load of wood being delivered today to make a new desk. I don't have a workshop/shed/garage to work in so was planning to do the cutting and drilling in the garden and then just assembly inside so as not to make a(s much of a) mess.

The circular saw does have a vacuum attachment so I guess we'll see how effective that is. It's that or be patient and wait till a nicer day.
Wont you want to acclimatise the timber to its final conditions before you start milling and cutting it? A few days indoors before cutting it to the final dimensions is bound to help.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #13147 on: 14 May, 2021, 09:22:24 am »

Wont you want to acclimatise the timber to its final conditions before you start milling and cutting it? A few days indoors before cutting it to the final dimensions is bound to help.

That is a good point that I hadn't really thought about. I haven't done much woodwork and what I have done has mostly been at working using stuff from the storeroom.

Now to work out where to put it because it's coming in 2.4m lengths. Might have to stay in the living room to get tripped over even though the desk will end up upstairs. Shouldn't be too much difference in conditions between the two.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13148 on: 14 May, 2021, 09:49:43 am »
If you send me an email after 9pm asking if I can do x by 7am the next day, the answer isn't yes or no, it's nothing at all, because I'm not checking email that late. Well, I hope you found someone to do it. Maybe try a different time zone?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13149 on: 15 May, 2021, 11:39:36 am »
Typical.  The first time I want some Actual Cash Money in more than a year and the machine outside Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles is kaput.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime