Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180185 times)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Shropshire
« Reply #550 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »
Just home and catching up. Happy to take the baton if you wish otherwise I could take it from Jogler.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #551 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:19:44 pm »
Just home and catching up. Happy to take the baton if you wish otherwise I could take it from Jogler.

Righty.  What are you doing on Sunday?  I now have a provisional offer of some laid-back darkside action (in completely the wrong direction) with Johnny Thin of this parish on Saturday.

I think the Baton would be better off proceeding in a southeasterly direction to give it a chance at PBP, so Rugby is a better option than Derby.  (It also gives me significantly less Birmingham to ride through).

« Reply #552 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:41:02 pm »
We'll be riding but no planned destination as yet.   Where do you fancy? 

I'll pm you some contact details.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #553 on: 21 July, 2011, 06:42:35 pm »
I think the Baton would be better off proceeding in a southeasterly direction to give it a chance at PBP, so Rugby is a better option than Derby.  (It also gives me significantly less Birmingham to ride through).
Fairy Nuff.  I'll have a chance at the baton on its way back north in a month or three.  (I could take it to York or similar.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #554 on: 21 July, 2011, 06:48:03 pm »
It's been so slow that my plan to take it to Tongue next week will have to be put back. October? Next July?
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #555 on: 21 July, 2011, 06:48:30 pm »
It's a month until PBP so maybe we should start thinking about getting it to someone willing to transport it across the channel.

PBP? This is like the Mornington Crescent version of a LEJoG!

If it helps, I'll be in Cheshire over the weekend. Then Shropshire. Then Chester for train home via Crewe/Wolverhampton to Oxon ...

then train/ferry to PBP in August.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #556 on: 22 July, 2011, 09:36:08 am »
It's a month until PBP so maybe we should start thinking about getting it to someone willing to transport it across the channel.

PBP? This is like the Mornington Crescent version of a LEJoG!

If it helps, I'll be in Cheshire over the weekend. Then Shropshire. Then Chester for train home via Crewe/Wolverhampton to Oxon ...

then train/ferry to PBP in August.

The Baton doesn't travel by train/planes/automobiles in Maninland Britain, only to cross seas too wide to use a Pedalo (where a bike is used to get to the Chunnel or Ferry terminal).

« Reply #557 on: 25 July, 2011, 11:23:01 am »
Maybe the baton should find it's way to Milton Keynes to accompany Teethgrinder and his posse on the ride to PBP!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #558 on: 25 July, 2011, 02:57:09 pm »
or maybe it could remain in the UK & progress around the country/forum

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #559 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:17:26 pm »
Or may be it could stay for ever in Brum.

Edit: Rereading my comment and feeling a bit ashamed of what I wrote, I didn't want it to be a dig at Kim, but was pointint out that it should be moving and a jaunt in France would be cool as it would definitely pass through many hands in a short periode of time.
Chief cat entertainer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #560 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »
I spectacularly failed to get it to Polar Bear yesterday, as I got home from riding on Saturday, crashed out for 15 hours, completely missed his text messages, and spent most of Sunday feeling like death warmed up.  Barakta's been off work with viral lurgy all week, so I expect that's finally got me  :(

I'm feeling spectacularly tired but much less awful today, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it moving some time this week (doing the FNRttS at the weekend, so anything too close to that is asking for trouble).  I can always cheat and get the train home if I'm feeling a bit rubbish.  I know I've had the baton for far to long  :-[

inc

« Reply #561 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:49:21 pm »

This ^^^   

Try and get as many forumers involved as want to. Although there seems to be a spectacular lack of interest in keeping it moving.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #562 on: 25 July, 2011, 06:34:03 pm »
I spectacularly failed to get it to Polar Bear yesterday, as I got home from riding on Saturday, crashed out for 15 hours, completely missed his text messages, and spent most of Sunday feeling like death warmed up.  Barakta's been off work with viral lurgy all week, so I expect that's finally got me  :(

I'm feeling spectacularly tired but much less awful today, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it moving some time this week (doing the FNRttS at the weekend, so anything too close to that is asking for trouble).  I can always cheat and get the train home if I'm feeling a bit rubbish.  I know I've had the baton for far to long  :-[
Here's an off-the-wall idea: if you're still doing FNRttS on Charlotte's tandem, how about this? I get the train with you back from Euston to Mordor Central, then pick up the baton at your house, ride home to Derby (only 40 miles or so), and then onwards to the Holly Bush at Makeney to drop it off with anyone who wants it on the Derbyshire Pie Run.

« Reply #563 on: 25 July, 2011, 07:25:10 pm »

It simply has to do PBP.

« Reply #564 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »
Kim,  we could just rearrange.   I'll need to check my diary...   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #565 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:44:25 pm »

Works for me.  I'm not restricted timing-wise, but could probably do with another day off.

rower40: Not a bad idea, but availability of economical and less-than-optimally-psychic orange cardboard dictated that I book a middayish train back on Saturday, which would make the timing distinctly dubious for intercepting the pie run.  On the plus side, it means I don't have to leave the cafe in a rush and finally gives me an excuse to go and play with a Boris Bike.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #566 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »
*Sigh of Relief when a brain cell kicked in to remind me what I'd signed up for*

Thanks for saving me a Transit Of Middle-Earth when wanting to sleep.  I can then crash out on something East-Mids-bound while you're having a Boris Bike $Silly_Adventure.

« Reply #567 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:19:49 pm »

Works for me.  I'm not restricted timing-wise, but could probably do with another day off.

rower40: Not a bad idea, but availability of economical and less-than-optimally-psychic orange cardboard dictated that I book a middayish train back on Saturday, which would make the timing distinctly dubious for intercepting the pie run.  On the plus side, it means I don't have to leave the cafe in a rush and finally gives me an excuse to go and play with a Boris Bike.

How about sometime next week?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #568 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:22:38 pm »
How about sometime next week?

Sure.  Preferably not Friday.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #569 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:26:09 pm »
*Sigh of Relief when a brain cell kicked in to remind me what I'd signed up for*

Thanks for saving me a Transit Of Middle-Earth when wanting to sleep.

Yeah.  Getting between my place and town is reasonably painless, but I wouldn't want to try and escape the city in an easterly direction without a fully-alert spidey sense to avoid getting lured onto the Aston Expressway, or worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Birmingham
« Reply #570 on: 02 August, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »
Okay, circumstances dictate that I won't be able to go on any long bike rides for a few days, so I found someone else to carry the baton for a bit to keep it moving:

(I think we can waive the usual handover rules for this one)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Birmingham
« Reply #571 on: 18 August, 2011, 03:13:28 pm »
In the interests of getting this thing moving:

It occurs to me that I, along with gerwinium of this parish, will be riding from Birmingham to Nottingham tomorrow afternoon, and returning at some loosely-defined point over the weekend.  As this won't be rail-assisted, it's legitimate for baton-passing.  Does anyone in that direction want to do a handover?  rower40?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #572 on: 18 August, 2011, 05:19:17 pm »
Ok.  It'll prolly get stuck just as long on my mantlepiece as it did on yours.

PM me with your itinerary, and I'll try to work out where we can rendezvous.  I finish work at the very sociable hour of 1530, and could bike over to Nottingham after work.  Then pin inna map to work out who to pass it onto next.  Any takers in Loughborough or Leicester who want to progress the baton towards That London?

« Reply #573 on: 19 August, 2011, 08:34:24 pm »
It's a bit late now.    :'(

border-rider

« Reply #574 on: 19 August, 2011, 08:37:42 pm »
  Any takers in Loughborough or Leicester who want to progress the baton towards That London?

Surely it should be headed towards Scotland ?

It came up through the West Country and then we whizzed it up the Borders following the standard LEJOG general direction.  If we'd wanted a diversion it could have gone to Brest :(