Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177333 times)

LEE

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #175 on: 26 November, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »
...and if you need someone to carry the baton down in Devon somewhere between Exeter & Plymouth (or vice-versa) then I'm looking for an excuse to leave my mountain bike at home for a day and dig my road bike out from the back of the shed.

I think we will .

Then we'd just need Plymouth to LE and we'd be underway.

steveindenmark

« Reply #176 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:19:23 pm »
Sadly I cannot take part in this because I live in Denmark but I am interested in what happens to it.

I am a member of a motorbike forum where the guys in the states did a pony express from coast to coast with photographs. It took a while to organise but it went well.

Is someone going to form a list who is going from where to where and then it may be easier to fill in the gaps.

Looking at the posts it is difficult to work out where the gaps need to be filled in.

Lands End to ? - Bill Smith
? - ? - Phil Evans

I wish you well in this but make sure someone turns up with a camera. The guys in the states tried to end and start at a local landmark and not garages and supermarkets

Steve.

AndyH

« Reply #177 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:11:06 pm »
The guys in the states tried to end and start at a local landmark and not garages and supermarkets

Sadly Steve garages and supermarkets are landmarks to some of us.

The list is a good idea, as is the tracklog if it doesn't get too messy. It would be good to know how far it actually travels, a suitable volunteer could log all of this somewhere.

So -

Lee + the rest of the Faccombe 4, 84 miles, Andover to Romsey, Sun 21st Nov
AndyH, 39 miles, Romsey - Blandford Forum, Sun 21st Nov
AndyH, xx miles, Blandford Forum - Frome, Sat 27th Nov
Panoramix, xx miles, Frome - Bristol, Sat 27th Nov
Panoramix,
Feline,
Parratpedaller,
Slugwash

and that gets us to plymouth. (I don't think there is much chance of getting it to essex for this year's xmas ride.) Maybe it should have been JogLe, it could have been in york by tomorrow !

Maybe a friendly local admin would consider this as a sub category thingy within rides & touring, so the list, ride reports etc could be separated off from the main thread. After all this could be going a long long time!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #178 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:22:14 pm »
Slightly updated

Lee + the rest of the Faccombe 4, 84 miles, Andover to Romsey, Sun 21st Nov
AndyH, 39 miles, Romsey - Blandford Forum, Sun 21st Nov
AndyH, xx miles, Blandford Forum - Frome, Sat 27th Nov
Panoramix, xx miles, Frome - Bristol, Sat 27th Nov
Panoramix xx miles Bristol - Clifton suspension bridge,
Feline, xx miles Clifton suspension bridge - xxx,
Parratpedaller,
Slugwash

Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #179 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:24:32 pm »
if it needs a return trip, am doing a JOGLE in June and can strap it to my toptube for the duration...  ;D

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #180 on: 27 November, 2010, 03:48:56 pm »
The baton is in Bristol, a more detailed report will come!
Chief cat entertainer.

LEE

« Reply #181 on: 27 November, 2010, 05:40:54 pm »
Bikely

Note.

I'll post the Bikely link on my original, page 1, post.

« Reply #182 on: 27 November, 2010, 07:54:28 pm »
The next day I have where I am not working is 6th dec, I could probably do any day that week weather permitting :)

AndyH

« Reply #183 on: 27 November, 2010, 09:32:27 pm »
An "interesting" ok bloody freezing, I don't think it got above zero ride to Frome and back. The Baton covered 35 miles with me today. The original plan was to go via Sturminster Newton, Gillingham, Mere and Maiden Bradley, a nice B road route through the small market towns of North Dorset, Wiltshire & Somerset. However the overnight snow was worse than I thought, and so I decided to stick to the main roads, which were reasonable quiet (although not completely clear in places). Looking at the state of the minor roads I think it was the right choice.

So the A 350 North of Blandford to Warminster, then the A362 past Longleat to Frome. The Garden Cafe in Frome was a good place to meet, friendly with space at the back to put bikes.

A pleasant half hour chat with Panoramix about all things Audax - plans for PBP qualification, gears, frame materials, etc. Photos taken by the guy in the cafe (which will be posted later) and that was it, the baton was handed over (without tears this week Lee, they would have frozen).

Then home to find a space on the dresser where it had spent 6 days. I wonder if I'll see it again on its journey ?

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #184 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »
if someone could paint it red during one of its stops;
it'd be a Baton Rouge !
(a Louisana leg is out of the question this year)

LEE

« Reply #185 on: 30 November, 2010, 05:35:50 pm »
if someone could paint it red during one of its stops;
it'd be a Baton Rouge !
(a Louisana leg is out of the question this year)

If you painted the words "a hot tin roof" on it then it would be "Baton a hot tin roof"

essexian

« Reply #186 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:56:14 pm »
If the baton is coming Stafford way, I would be more than willing to take it for a few miles: Birmingham to Stoke perhaps?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #187 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:14:35 pm »
I am close enough to essexian to be involved at that stage please

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #188 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:06:39 pm »
Still holding hand up for to/from Brum leg and/or West Wales leg.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #189 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:41:17 pm »
The next day I have where I am not working is 6th dec, I could probably do any day that week weather permitting :)

I can't do the 6th but probably can the Tuesday. Ideally lunch time as I will be working, otherwise the Saturday.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #190 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »

I can't do the 6th but probably can the Tuesday. Ideally lunch time as I will be working, otherwise the Saturday.

As things currently stand I can do 6th. May need to wait until a bit closer to make sure the weather is OK, the only bike I own with knobbly tyres is a BSO I bought from the Daily Express circa 1992 and I haven't oiled it's chain since!

« Reply #191 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:11:51 pm »
Interesting 'Project' if you need anyone in the Preston, Lancashire area; count me in.  ;)
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #192 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:55:36 pm »
Likewise, count me in if you need anyone in West Yorkshire / South Oxfordshire / Newcastle / Scotland area - where-ever my 'caravan' is parked at the time!

« Reply #193 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:38:22 pm »
GOOD IDEA ALERT

OK, maybe not, but let's see how it works (which it only will if everyone notices).

Looooooads of people volunteering in all sorts of places, but it is likely to get difficult to see where it is and how to move on, plus it would be good to see how to get as many as possible in on the act.

Enter stage left, the yacf lejog  Google Map

The idea is you drop a marker near where you are with the tag of your forum ID as a name, and a comment about your preferred circle of cover. Two ways to do this:

1  (Favourite) - Log in to Google with the ID yacf@londondailyphoto.com and password of yacflejog and you will be able to edit the map yourself. If you haven't used google maps before, click on "edit" (l/h side), a set of icons will appear on the top left of the map. Click on the marker icon, then click where you want to place it. You will then get the option to edit the name (your ID here) and a comment (where you want to ride).

2 - problems with that, just send me your postcode and what your preferred circle of collection delivery would be.

Someone may be able to come up with something slicker, but this should work. I'll repeat the link to the yacf lejog  Google Map

Edit:
For people already signed in with Google on another ID, you have two options. Either sign out, sign in with the yacf ID do the edit then sign out or send me your info.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #194 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:15:01 am »
Good idea indeed.

I was also thinking this was the sort of thing a wiki would be useful for...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #195 on: 02 December, 2010, 07:39:50 am »
Done.  :thumbsup:
Twice.  ;D

(I tend to be somewhat dual located these days)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #196 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:21:26 am »
I'm on.  I've tried not to completely smother Mr Bunbury's marker...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #197 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:48:05 am »
Added my name as well.  I can take the baton north from the Stoke area if required.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #198 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:00:38 am »

As things currently stand I can do 6th. May need to wait until a bit closer to make sure the weather is OK, the only bike I own with knobbly tyres is a BSO I bought from the Daily Express circa 1992 and I haven't oiled it's chain since!

Feline, Monday 6th I will be in Oxfordshire for work, so I can only do the 7th or 8 or 9th , 10th or indeed during the weekend.

Chief cat entertainer.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #199 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:42:39 pm »
The "GOOD IDEA MAP" merits it's own sticky,I reckon