Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180317 times)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently near Cheddar
« Reply #250 on: 22 December, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »
Got up this morning and wiped a few cobwebs off the BSO in the garage, lubed it's chain, lamented it's total lack of mudguards, strapped the YACF baton to the rack and off I went to Cheddar to meet ParrettPedaller. I had 10 gears of which only 5 work, he had 1  ;D

At Cheddar market cross:

We went up the gorge for the handover

YACF baton now safely in PP's hands:

Coffee and cake was consumed, then ParrettPedaller set off for home, I hope he makes it safely!

LindaG

« Reply #251 on: 22 December, 2010, 01:13:59 pm »
Intrepid or wot!  Excellent   ;D

The Gorge looks class in the snow. 

AndyH

« Reply #252 on: 22 December, 2010, 01:20:35 pm »
You guys have certainly raised the bar for handover photos. Congrats. Whereto from here ?

« Reply #253 on: 22 December, 2010, 02:22:18 pm »
Just got back to Chateau PP having left Feline in Cheddar about 11:50

A very slow 2h20m for only 20 miles.  I disregarded my own advice and instead of taking the long way round via Glastonbury (as I did on the 27 mile run out this morning) I elected to take the more direct back lane from Meare over Shapwick Moor and down Pedwell Hill.  5 miles of unsalted back lanes, compacted by farm vehicles = unrideable on 23mm tyres.  :hand:

I have now discovered several novel ways of falling off a fixie in slow motion.  Having tested the depth of snow by the roadside and the firmness of compacted snow and ice on the road surface with my posterior and several other anatomical parts, I eventually opted to use the fixie rider's other gear.  This was a good way of getting some circulation back into my feet, which had gone into deep cryogenic sleep shortly after leaving the Cheddar cafe

The baton now resides at the very centre of Parrett Country, where it will spend a convivial Christmas chez Famille PP, before I take it SW to meet Slugwash somewhere in the environs of Tiverton

Thanks for the coffee and millionaire shortbread, Feline.  Hope your PBP preparations go well, and have a great Christmas.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #254 on: 22 December, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »

« Reply #255 on: 22 December, 2010, 05:29:32 pm »

I have now discovered several novel ways of falling off a fixie in slow motion.  Having tested the depth of snow by the roadside and the firmness of compacted snow and ice on the road surface with my posterior and several other anatomical parts, I eventually opted to use the fixie rider's other gear.  This was a good way of getting some circulation back into my feet, which had gone into deep cryogenic sleep shortly after leaving the Cheddar cafe

Yikes  :o

Is the bike OK?  ;D

Was great to meet you, and hope you have a great Christmas too!

« Reply #256 on: 22 December, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »

Yikes  :o

Is the bike OK?  ;D

Was great to meet you, and hope you have a great Christmas too!

Yep I'm fine, the bike is fine and most importantly the baton is fine. 

There's a few more dents and hollows in the Shapwick Road than were there before I rode it

LEE

« Reply #257 on: 22 December, 2010, 05:48:11 pm »
Hardcore hand-over!

Bikely track updated and handover photos updated (see OP on page 1).

Where next?  Tiverton?

PS.  I think this is working out exactly as I'd hoped, thanks for buying into the idea.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #258 on: 22 December, 2010, 06:04:59 pm »
Was great to meet you, ...

reading this thread, I reckon you lot have devised the most complicated blind-date website in history.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #259 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:19:12 pm »

reading this thread, I reckon you lot have devised the most complicated blind-date website in history.

Just make sure it's the baton you grab hold of.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #260 on: 26 December, 2010, 04:30:22 pm »

Just make sure it's the baton you grab hold of.
"Feline took it up the gorge..." Fnarr etc.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

LEE

« Reply #261 on: 27 December, 2010, 04:52:37 pm »
Any plans to move the Baton this side of Christmas?  There's a "warm" spell passing thru on Wed/Thu.  It should clear all the lanes of ice and snow in the South.

« Reply #262 on: 27 December, 2010, 04:56:44 pm »
Yes it will move this side of Christmas, but not this side of New Year  ;D

Earliest date for the PP>Slugwash transfer is 3/1, with other dates of 5/1 and 8/1 still in the mix, and actively being discussed by the miracle of PM technology

Fret not Young Lee, the baton will peregrinate SW'ward very shortly to begin its 2011 Travels

« Reply #263 on: 27 December, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »
Is there anyone further West of Totnes/Plymouth/Devon who I can hand it over to when it comes into my possession? Or is it going to be looking good on my mantlepiece for a few months? My six year old daughter's a bit of crafts & colouring-in freak so if it's left lying around ours for too long it could end up covered in poster paint & glitter  ;)

I'm sort of hatching a contingency plan to take it deep down into Cornwall if no-one else around Devon  volunteers to take it further West but I'd still need to hand it over to another rider when I was down that way (or cycle it down to Lands End and bring it back again as part of some early PBP training)

LEE

« Reply #264 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:58:13 pm »
Yes it will move this side of Christmas, but not this side of New Year  ;D

Earliest date for the PP>Slugwash transfer is 3/1, with other dates of 5/1 and 8/1 still in the mix, and actively being discussed by the miracle of PM technology

Fret not Young Lee, the baton will peregrinate SW'ward very shortly to begin its 2011 Travels

Any updates on impending activity?

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently NE of Taunton
« Reply #265 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »
Any updates on impending activity?

Yep, possibly this coming Saturday at Tiverton, weather permitting. (Got a slight snuffle so light drizzle = yes, torrential downpours = no)

Baton will end up near Totnes until next handover person comes forwards.

« Reply #266 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »
Right then, the next leg of the Great YACF Baton Relay, and the first of 2011,  will be undertaken tomorrow.

Burrowbridge > Tiverton > Totnes

Standby for photo call update

LEE

« Reply #267 on: 07 January, 2011, 10:42:25 pm »
Right then, the next leg of the Great YACF Baton Relay, and the first of 2011,  will be undertaken tomorrow.

Burrowbridge > Tiverton > Totnes

Standby for photo call update

Good luck, looking forward to the photos.  I think the Cheddar Gorge Handover is setting the standard for handover photos right now.  I reckon it's a challenge within a challenge to achieve the most spectacular/scenic handover.  I doubt whether my initial Esso Garage Forecourt one will win on that count (but I intend to get my hands on the Baton again and try harder next time).

PS.  Devon weather is looking pretty damn good for the time of year.

« Reply #268 on: 08 January, 2011, 04:31:41 pm »
The deed has been done and the baton is now winging its way SW'wards towards Totnes.

Photos of the handover will be posted by Slugwash later today I expect

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently near Totnes
« Reply #269 on: 09 January, 2011, 02:42:17 am »
Yep, it's now in Totnes awaiting further instructions. And what a great ride back along the old A38 and the Exe Estutary  before hitting the hilly section at dusk and straying a little off my intended course in the dark back lanes whilst trying to avoid the treacherous main road between Shaldon and Torbay, (ended up in bloody Newton Abbot). Cheers for the coffee & cake ParettPedaller  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #270 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:34:33 am »
Was that being used as a battering ram?
Getting there...

« Reply #271 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:36:23 am »

Great picture of "The Actual Baton Handover" - Madison style, albeit not quite as fast as track riders

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #272 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:53:45 am »
But I can't help thinking that trying to do it right/right handed is going to result in a front/rear wheel interface incident.

« Reply #273 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:04:35 am »
But I can't help thinking that trying to do it right/right handed is going to result in a front/rear wheel interface incident.

Indeed.  I was waiting for this observation. 

This handover was just "posed" for the photo

« Reply #274 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:08:49 am »
That's a relief, we were quite alarmed by the camera in one hand, baton in the other idea :o
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.