Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180441 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently near Totnes
« Reply #300 on: 03 February, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »
I think that if the baton makes it way back to Portsmouth in time, it is safe to say that it will make its way to Paris via the ferry somehow.

Convincing somebody to sail the baton across the channel - avoiding thus any form of motorised transport - would propel the whole exercise out of the cool scale.

Assuming the baton is brought to Cowes on the 6th of July, I would manage easily to find a boat who does the Cowes to St Malo race (they are weight concious but 100 g would be OK) and may be able to convince people of the French forum to cycle it from St Malo to Paris!!!

No idea for the return though.

How about you take up rowing again?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #301 on: 03 February, 2011, 04:13:18 pm »
I think that if the baton makes it way back to Portsmouth in time, it is safe to say that it will make its way to Paris via the ferry somehow.

Convincing somebody to sail the baton across the channel - avoiding thus any form of motorised transport - would propel the whole exercise out of the cool scale.

Assuming the baton is brought to Cowes on the 6th of July, I would manage easily to find a boat who does the Cowes to St Malo race (they are weight concious but 100 g would be OK) and may be able to convince people of the French forum to cycle it from St Malo to Paris!!!

How about you take up rowing again?

Mrs P is going to hate you for sugesting "silly" ideas like this.

[Peruse map/]
Chief cat entertainer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #302 on: 04 February, 2011, 11:42:12 pm »

That's a job for Pancho, isn't it?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #303 on: 07 February, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »
When is the Bodmin hand-over ?

Looks like it'll be this Wednesday, unless a tempest or an ebola epidemic knocks one of us for six  :)

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #304 on: 07 February, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »
Yep. There's gonna be a Bunfight at the OK Tearoom (Bara Cafe, Honey St, Bodmin) at High Noon.

;D
London's burning with boredom now

LEE

« Reply #305 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »
Yep. There's gonna be a Bunfight at the OK Tearoom (Bara Cafe, Honey St, Bodmin) at High Noon.

;D

A stale Pork Pie is weapon of choice in such situations (with a concrete-hardened crust).

Good luck, have a nice ride and post some photos to make the rest of us jealous about cycling around Bodmin on a work day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #306 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:17:43 pm »
LEE was only 52, he didn't wanna die... ;D
Getting there...

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #307 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »

That's a job for Pancho, isn't it?

I could do the Solent -> Cherbourg (ish) leg (weather, work and family permitting). St Malo adds a bit more complexity[1] to the exercise for a simple cruising sailor such as me.

Not sure about bringing it back from Paris either. That's a trek up the Seine which would need me to become a legal sailor in French eyes (paperwork and exams and boring stuff us Brits don't need) and, maybe to remove the mast. You're also looking at a long trip Pompey -> Paris and I don't think Mrs P will let me out unsupervised for that long.

But if a cross-Channel link is needed just ask and I'll see if anything is feasible. I have a folder in a locker if needed.

[1] Two aspects of complexity: more time at sea and therefore requiring someone else on board 'cos I start to see (and, sometimes, talk to) things that aren't there if I stay awake too long. Not good or safe seamanship to be doing that too often. Also, I've not been to St Malo before but my memory of the West coast of the Cherbourg peninsular is that it's all fast tides and sharp rocks.

« Reply #308 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:17:11 pm »
There's gonna be a Bunfight at the OK Tearoom (Bara Cafe, Honey St, Bodmin) at High Noon.

Look Don, I know I questioned the route sheet for your Saints & Tinners 300, but that was four bloody years ago. I don't want no trouble  :facepalm:  

(BTW, I'm a pretty slow rider. Best make it 12:30) ;)

A stale Pork Pie is weapon of choice in such situations (with a concrete-hardened crust).

Huh, any such missiles will be easily deflected with the more than substantial YACF baton.

......I'll be wearing a full face MTBing helmet just in case though!

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #309 on: 09 February, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »
I'm happy to report that nobody got hurt, and the baton was handed over without any stale meat pie shenanigans. It's safely stashed in the study at Chez Drum, where it will remain until I can be arsed to pop down the road to LandsEndWorldTM for the Grand Depart. Here's a pic of the handover - it was emotional (my bottom lip is all over the place...wibble!):

Thanks are due to Slugwash for transporting the precious cargo down from Totnes - hope you found a nice route home with some decent tailwinds.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #310 on: 09 February, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »
Yep, got back an hour or so ago after taking the South Cornish coast and Torpoint ferry option. Done a good 200k today  :thumbsup:

Here's a couple more photos...

Leaving Fair Albion for the Celtic border town of Saltash...

Almost there! (or so I thought). Spot the baton....

And thanks to John Morse for Bodmin baton handover photography duties...

« Reply #311 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:08:41 pm »
Awesome stuff  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #312 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:48:36 am »

Sorry, I'm not keeping up here.  Which is who?  ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently near Penzance
« Reply #313 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:55:43 am »
AikenDrum is the one with the wibbley lip ofc!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #314 on: 10 February, 2011, 09:42:54 am »

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #315 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:17:12 am »
I'm colour blind :(

Si_Co

« Reply #316 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:18:37 am »
Ok - he's the one in green

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #317 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:23:33 am »
They are both in green

Si_Co

« Reply #318 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:24:28 am »

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #319 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:26:12 am »
& anyway,your colour vision is worse than mine.It's genetic.Be thankfull I passed on one of my better bits ;)

LEE

« Reply #320 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:35:45 am »
Great job fellas!

OP on Page 1 updated with photo & Bikely track updated.

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #321 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:36:50 am »
On a point of accuracy Mr Speaker, it's not near Penzance, it's in Penzance.

LEE

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Penzance
« Reply #322 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:39:46 am »
changed

« Reply #323 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:41:00 am »
On a point of accuracy Mr Speaker......

...  if only my ride down to Bodmin and back had been as short & direct
as the route depicted  on the Bikely map  ;)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Penzance
« Reply #324 on: 10 February, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »
Has anyone got an idea how to get more South West Participants for the relay?

If the Batton is still down there in April, we could help.  Our pre-Easter jolly is to Cornwall, staying at Trevedra, Lands End and Trewethett, Tintagel.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon