Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177370 times)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently Near Taunton
« Reply #425 on: 11 April, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »
Awaiting the end of this bout of flu, then I'll go get it from PP.  Most likely next Tuesday.

Now with Feline (winging her way to Cheddar), having handed the baton over in the shadow of Glastonbury Tor about an hour ago

« Reply #426 on: 11 April, 2011, 08:50:32 pm »
I shall be on my way to get it this week! 

« Reply #427 on: 11 April, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »
Le baton has been on the move this evening!
I arrived in Glastonbury and met ParrettPedallar at the spire monument thingy. We had a coffee in the pub there.

Then we headed up to Glastonbury Tor for the baton handover:

The baton changes hands:

Back at chateau feline:

Google checks out the baton (don't worry, I took it off him before he chewed it up ;) ):

Garmin route log here (31 miles)

YACF Baton by fujifeline at Garmin Connect - Details  

So the baton is currently in Axbridge, and should hopefully be heading to a new country this Saturday  ;D

« Reply #428 on: 17 April, 2011, 11:19:54 pm »
The baton is currently waiting patiently in my Carradice to hit the road in the morning :)
I put it in there tonight in case I forgot to pack it tomorrow!

« Reply #429 on: 18 April, 2011, 02:37:13 pm »
And I can confirm it is now in the hands of the Taffia, following a handover on the Severn Bridge at high noon today!  Feline has photos..

« Reply #430 on: 18 April, 2011, 04:23:15 pm »
My mission is complete!

The baton went via the Strawberry line to Yatton, then on to Clevedon and Avonmouth where I crossed the Avonmouth Bridge and left Somerset behind. The river Avon as seen from the Avonmouth bridge:

I then took the scenic route along the coast past Severn beach, up to Aust and onto the Severn bridge:

Carradice Barley's have a special loop for attaching a light holding the yacf baton:

I met Tewdric half way over the bridge, and officially delivered the baton to Wales!

Today's route:

Delivering YACF LEJoG Baton to Wales by fujifeline at Garmin Connect - Details  

AndyH

« Reply #431 on: 19 April, 2011, 10:41:40 am »
So is the Baton going to do either the Brevet Cymru or the Bryan Chapman as part of it's qualifying SR ?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #432 on: 19 April, 2011, 11:06:21 am »
I met Tewdric half way over the bridge, and officially delivered the baton to Wales!

But did you plan to match outfits, or was there a moment of social awkwardness? ;)  And I think we must say 'hurray' for the return of the official feline baton-handing-over pose \o/  Looks like a cracking good day for a ride.

« Reply #433 on: 19 April, 2011, 11:17:55 am »

But did you plan to match outfits, or was there a moment of social awkwardness? ;)  And I think we must say 'hurray' for the return of the official feline baton-handing-over pose \o/  Looks like a cracking good day for a ride.

I couldn't possibly deliver the yacf baton to Wales without wearing my Audax Cymru jersey  ;D

My next door neighbour looked at me rather confused today and said 'you haven't just been on holiday have you?'. I have a suntan like I just came back from Turkey or somewhere after yesterday's ride  ;D

« Reply #434 on: 19 April, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »
So is the Baton going to do either the Brevet Cymru or the Bryan Chapman as part of it's qualifying SR ?

I think it should!  We need a volunteer who is riding to the start of the Brevet Cymru from Mal Volio's camping weekend.

border-rider

« Reply #435 on: 19 April, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »
Or I can take it round myself...

Simonb

« Reply #436 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:28:08 am »
I'll gladly take it waaaaaay East at the end of the BCM -- we Easterners are missing out!

« Reply #437 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:37:37 am »
we Easterners are missing out!

So very true....

;D

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #438 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:03:26 pm »
LEE, Chillmoister, Keeks and I are riding the Brevet Cymru on the 30th. So if someone can drop the baton off at the Bulwark community centre very early on a Saturday morning (6AM start) or at the pub in Aust at some point the night before we should also be up for a nice gentle South Wales loop.

Of course we could pass the baton between different yacf riders throughout the ride. With a documented handover pic each time. The possibilities are endless ;) 

Owner of a languishing Langster

Simonb

« Reply #439 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:52:12 pm »
we Easterners are missing out!

So very true....

;D

Har-bloody-har!  :-*

« Reply #440 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:13:02 pm »
LEE, Chillmoister, Keeks and I are riding the Brevet Cymru on the 30th. So if someone can drop the baton off at the Bulwark community centre very early on a Saturday morning (6AM start) or at the pub in Aust at some point the night before we should also be up for a nice gentle South Wales loop.

Of course we could pass the baton between different yacf riders throughout the ride. With a documented handover pic each time. The possibilities are endless ;)  

That's a nice idea.

I'm taking it up to Mal Volio's tomorrow, then he's going to ride the Brevet Cymru route early next week as a helper/route checker.  One of the BC riders staying at MV Towers on Friday night next week could bring it down to the start.

The question of what happens after  the ride needs to be addressed given that it can't travel by car.  If it were to find it's way back up to MV towers on the sunday, that would be good as we can hand it on to the valleys contingent.  It isn't allowed back into England before it's done the Bryan Chapman!  ;D

« Reply #441 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:18:26 pm »

That's a nice idea.

I'm taking it up to Mal Volio's tomorrow, then he's going to ride the Brevet Cymru route early next week as a helper/route checker.  One of the BC riders staying at MV Towers on Friday night next week could bring it down to the start.

The question of what happens after  the ride needs to be addressed given that it can't travel by car.  If it were to find it's way back up to MV towers on the sunday, that would be good as we can hand it on to the valleys contingent.  It isn't allowed back into England before it's done the Bryan Chapman!  ;D

Make sure you supply MV with CAKE tomorrow then!
It's the law  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #442 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:23:52 pm »
 It isn't allowed back into England before it's done the Bryan Chapman!  ;D

But can you get it to Scotland in time to do the Snow Roads? Probably not for this year but maybe next. Mr Gates will be heading North at some point - could he pick it up en route?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #443 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »
Does the baton get points?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #444 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:28:23 pm »

No, but it gets to watch while people eat CAKE which is surely as good if not better :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #445 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:30:11 pm »
Doesn't the thread title need changing?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #446 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:31:15 pm »
Doesn't the thread title need changing?

Yeah, I PM'd Lee but he must not have been online yet.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently Near Chepstow.
« Reply #447 on: 20 April, 2011, 11:12:31 pm »
You can do it yourself. 
Not sure how accurate this is.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

AndyH

« Reply #448 on: 20 April, 2011, 11:21:41 pm »

I think it should. Has it done a 200 & 300, or is it going to have to qualify with 2 400s & 2 600s ?

« Reply #449 on: 21 April, 2011, 10:37:31 am »

That's a nice idea.

If it goes on the Bryan Chapman there are quite a few yACFers who it could be passed to on the route.  Basil could ride out to a control to collect it, I could take it and leave it in Menai Bridge on my way round, RevRob lives on route (he's moved, but is now elsewhere on the route).

I think the eastern members should get a go, but one person taking it from the west coast to east coast defeats the object of a relay somewhat.  ::-)