Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952169 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3050 on: 28 February, 2013, 04:15:25 pm »
We watched 9 Queens last weekend at home which is hard to comment on without giving anything away.

We also went to watch Roman Holiday on the small cinema they put up in the library occasionally. Notable because for £3 each we got tea and cakes in the interval they put in after an hour (this was a really good idea as the chairs were a little uncomfortable) and then they had a raffle and I won the DVD they'd just shown us.

« Reply #3051 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:29:05 am »
Watched Sucker Punch last night. A chaotic jumble of music-video set pieces with big explosions and skimpy anime-computer-game costumes, under the flimsy plot pretext of being the hallucinations of someone who's in an insane asylum.

:thumbsup:

I actually rather enjoyed it, though I feel I should have been drunker. In fact, my only complaint was that it wasn't chaotic and insane enough. I think it needed lots of continuity errors/dissonance (like Black Swan) to try and make the audience feel they were losing their minds as well.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3052 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:37:34 am »
Watched Sucker Punch last night. A chaotic jumble of music-video set pieces with big explosions and skimpy anime-computer-game costumes, under the flimsy plot pretext of being the hallucinations of someone who's in an insane asylum.

I actually rather enjoyed it, though I feel I should have been drunker. In fact, my only complaint was that it wasn't chaotic and insane enough. I think it needed lots of continuity errors/dissonance (like Black Swan) to try and make the audience feel they were losing their minds as well.

My favourite bit is the dogfight between a dragon and a WWII era bomber.

« Reply #3053 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:50:47 am »

My favourite bit is the dogfight between a dragon and a WWII era bomber.

I preferred the bit with the zombie steampunk nazis (the bit you showed us one drunken evening), but that's probably because I like the song that's used for it a lot.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3054 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:59:42 am »
Watched Midnight Run last night. One of those classic 80s action comedies that I've managed to avoid thus far, but I was in the mood for some brainless fun. Wish I hadn't bothered. I know you're not meant to take these things too seriously but I soon started to get pretty annoyed with it. The bit that really got me going was when De Niro and Grodin get off a bus and within seconds are swarmed by police, then moments later, a bunch of mob snipers - armed with rifles with telescopic sights - open fire from the surrounding rooftops. Miraculously, the snipers completely miss their targets. The police, however, returning fire with pistols and shotguns from a range of 50 metres or more, take them out.  :facepalm:

On the plus side, it does have an exploding helicopter.

Started to watch 'No Way Out' last night. It was very dated, which I could handle,  but just plain awful, which I couldn't. It got turned off.

I remember going to watch that on a date in the cinema many years ago. It says something about how well it went as a date that I remember the film better than I remember the girl.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #3055 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:07:05 am »
Watched Midnight Run last night. One of those classic 80s action comedies that I've managed to avoid thus far....

d.

I missread that as 'Midnight Express' at first glance and though  :o at your description of the genre ::-)

A film I must revisit.

citoyen

« Reply #3056 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:19:39 am »
I've not seen Midnight Express either, but I think I would have preferred it last night.

fuzzy

« Reply #3057 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:30:50 am »
I've not seen Midnight Express either, but I think I would have preferred it last night.

Do it. A truly excellent film IMHO.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3058 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:36:38 am »

Do it. A truly excellent film IMHO.

I'm in the contrary camp - hate Midnight Express, love Midnight Run.

Great buddy/action/comedy that probably wouldn't have worked so well without Charles Grodin. Pure popcorn of course but great fun.

Also no-one swears as well as Dennis Farina does.

citoyen

« Reply #3059 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:45:05 am »
Great buddy/action/comedy that probably wouldn't have worked so well without Charles Grodin. Pure popcorn of course but great fun.

To be fair, Charles Grodin is excellent in it.

d.

« Reply #3060 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:01:25 pm »
Currently half-way through the second season of Romanze Criminale.

Brutal, gripping thriller with brilliant acting.

It's been tucked away of the Sky plus box for ages.

Fantastico !

LindaG

« Reply #3061 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:03:26 pm »
Rust And Bone with Marion Cotillard who is Crusty's girlfriend.

I have absolutely no idea what that waa all about.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3062 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:12:18 pm »
Safe Haven, dear gods, what shite. Still better than Gangster Squad though...

« Reply #3063 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:12:52 pm »
Rust And Bone with Marion Cotillard who is Crusty's girlfriend.

I'm sure you said that about at least two other actresses last night - Helen Hunt and... someone else. How many does he have?

LindaG

« Reply #3064 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:44:10 pm »
Dozens. Including all of Girls Aloud.

The other actress last night was probly Bridget Fonda. She's been his girlfriend even longer than I have  :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3065 on: 02 March, 2013, 12:02:35 am »
Skyfall. (With the train bits excised)

Meh.
It is simpler than it looks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3066 on: 02 March, 2013, 07:13:12 am »
The Life of Pi and the Hobbit.

Pi was amazing. The Hobbit was very good.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3067 on: 02 March, 2013, 08:22:48 am »
Dozens. Including all of Girls Aloud.

The other actress last night was probly Bridget Fonda. She's been his girlfriend even longer than I have  :)
What a hussy. I have been faithful to Irene Jacob since 1993.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3068 on: 02 March, 2013, 05:52:52 pm »
I just watched Monster Inc in 3D, and it was as good as ever.

"Roz, my tender, oozing blossom ..."
 "Good morning, Roz, my succulent little garden snail ..."

Uniquely for a 3D BluRay, everything on the disc is 3D, including the menus (not unusual), and the Bonus Features.

I wonder if Monsters University will be as good?  Watching the trailer, it obviously reminds me of every other US university based film, in a rather clichéd fashion, which hopefully it'll avoid, other than for some comedy effect.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jakob

« Reply #3069 on: 02 March, 2013, 11:18:24 pm »
Just got back from watching Jack the Giant Slayer.
We worked on it and called it 'Jack the Artist Killer'. It was a nightmare project and given the circumstances, I'm amazed how good it looked...and the movie itself was nowhere near as bad as I expected either!.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3070 on: 03 March, 2013, 08:38:16 am »
Went to see Life of Pi last night, very very good is my verdict.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3071 on: 03 March, 2013, 05:07:09 pm »
Cabin in the woods last night, Cloud Atlas this afternoon - enjoyed both immensely.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #3072 on: 03 March, 2013, 05:16:59 pm »
Skyfall

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3073 on: 03 March, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »
Transporter 3.

not for the first time

her_welshness