Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952193 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5675 on: 19 November, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »
I only watch films at the cinema.  The Lady in the Van this evening.  One of those films that are so good you ignore/forget/forgive all the faults.

Andrew

« Reply #5676 on: 20 November, 2015, 07:47:52 am »
Irrational Man - don't bother.

If you've seen a Woody Allen film before then you've seen this one.

« Reply #5677 on: 20 November, 2015, 09:30:05 am »
Jobs.  A bit disappointing, but then I was never a fan.  Amusing dialogue as suggested by the trailer and at least they acknowledged Alan Turing.  California? It ticked all my boxes. 

.. I did like the remark that the most efficient animal on the planet was a human riding a bicycle:

I think one of the things that really separates us from the high primates is that we’re tool builders. I read a study that measured the efficiency of locomotion for various species on the planet. The condor used the least energy to move a kilometer. And, humans came in with a rather unimpressive showing, about a third of the way down the list. It was not too proud a showing for the crown of creation. So, that didn’t look so good. But, then somebody at Scientific American had the insight to test the efficiency of locomotion for a man on a bicycle. And, a man on a bicycle, a human on a bicycle, blew the condor away, completely off the top of the charts.

And that’s what a computer is to me. What a computer is to me is it’s the most remarkable tool that we’ve ever come up with, and it’s the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds.” ~ Steve Jobs

Maybe a human on a Condor bicycle is more efficient still especially if it has a cycle computer..
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5678 on: 20 November, 2015, 01:47:45 pm »
I only watch films at the cinema.  The Lady in the Van this evening.  One of those films that are so good you ignore/forget/forgive all the faults.
Really?!?

If true, there's a certain cool to that.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5679 on: 20 November, 2015, 11:52:58 pm »
Mockingjay part 2 OMFG THE HUNGER GAMES.

(click to show/hide)

Aside from that, it's part 4 of a series I've seen all of, read several times. Jennifer Lawrence really is very good, but I knew what was going to happen and wasn't really awed by it. No surprises, which makes it less OMFG than its predecessors, but not because it's less good.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5680 on: 22 November, 2015, 07:24:21 am »
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.

Not a patch on the first one, feels like a "quick let's jump on the bandwagon" film.

The zombies are really scary, though.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #5681 on: 22 November, 2015, 05:50:58 pm »
Gravity, on the little telly this time. A nice, compact film, doesn't need to overload back story and motivation, beyond that you're stuck the fuck in space and it's a long way down. Not quite the Imax spectacle, the space station coming apart and the sense of vertigo is quite literally breathtaking on a screen that captures your entire visual field, but it was still impressive scaled down to 45 inch in my living room.

(click to show/hide)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5682 on: 22 November, 2015, 06:00:21 pm »
The vacation of tomorrow, today!

I watched Westworld (1973) last night.  Great movie, and one of the first films to use digital image processing to create the "android pixellated vision" effect:

Westworld was the first feature film to use digital image processing. Crichton originally went to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, but after learning that two minutes of animation would take nine months and cost $200,000, he contacted John Whitney Sr., who in turn recommended his son John Whitney Jr. The latter went to Information International, Inc., where they could work at night and complete the animation both faster and much cheaper.[15] John Whitney, Jr. digitally processed motion picture photography at Information International, Inc. to appear pixelized in order to portray the Gunslinger android's point of view.[4] The approximately 2 minutes and 31 seconds worth of cinegraphic block portraiture was accomplished by color-separating (three basic color separations plus black mask) each frame of source 70 mm film images, scanning each of these elements to convert into rectangular blocks, then adding basic color according to the tone values developed.[16] The resulting coarse pixel matrix was output back to film.[17] The process was covered in the American Cinematographer article "Behind the scenes of Westworld"[18] and in a 2013 New Yorker online article.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5683 on: 22 November, 2015, 06:18:25 pm »
Touching The Void.

Again.

A documentary about events in 1985, when Joe Simpson and Simon Yates made the first ascent of Siula Grande, and Joe had a terrible accident on the way down the mountain.  Simon made a heroic, mad attempt to rescue Joe but in the end Joe was suspended by a rope, and Simon had to cut the rope and leave Joe for dead on the mountain.

I never get tired of this film.  It's a harrowing testament to the power of human will, and the hunger for life.  It's one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen.  Good use of music, too.  Good extras on the DVD.

Brown girl in the ring, tralalala!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5684 on: 22 November, 2015, 06:30:36 pm »
Touching The Void.

Again.

A documentary about events in 1985, when Joe Simpson and Simon Yates made the first ascent of Siula Grande, and Joe had a terrible accident on the way down the mountain.  Simon made a heroic, mad attempt to rescue Joe but in the end Joe was suspended by a rope, and Simon had to cut the rope and leave Joe for dead on the mountain.

I never get tired of this film.  It's a harrowing testament to the power of human will, and the hunger for life.  It's one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen.  Good use of music, too.  Good extras on the DVD.

Brown girl in the ring, tralalala!

I know.  Poor bastard.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5685 on: 22 November, 2015, 09:20:49 pm »
Mad Max

Make sure you poke the appropriate buttons on the remote to get it in the original Australian and not the piss-boilingly awful USAnian dubbed soundtrack.  Considering its rep for violence very few people actually get killed utterly to DETH on camera too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5686 on: 23 November, 2015, 02:56:50 am »
Mad Max 2

Are you beginning to sense a theme here?  Just as good as it ever was.  It's 29 minutes shorter than Mad Max 4, which probably means that the latter is at least thirty minutes too long.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5687 on: 23 November, 2015, 07:38:08 am »
Mad Max

Make sure you poke the appropriate buttons on the remote to get it in the original Australian and not the piss-boilingly awful USAnian dubbed soundtrack.  Considering its rep for violence very few people actually get killed utterly to DETH on camera too.

Not a yardstick. There's only about 1½ totally killed in Green Street.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5688 on: 23 November, 2015, 07:47:07 am »
Ant-Man

I liked it, it was funny in the right places and scary in a few others.

We followed this with Ep1 of "Jessica Jones".  Two extremes of the Marvel Universe you will not be able to find!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #5689 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:43:07 am »
No Escape

Owen Wilson is the father of a family going ex pat to the Far East for work. On arrival it all gets a bit fraught.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #5690 on: 23 November, 2015, 05:02:06 pm »
The Dressmaker.    Bizarre and surreal black comedy set in the Outback.  I found it amusing but that's just me.. 

fuzzy

« Reply #5691 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:47:58 am »
Just completed the Harry Potter Septology (again) followed by Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace.

I know............

« Reply #5692 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:51:24 am »
Horns

On Netflix. Right weird. Must've been good because despite not really watching it (the reason I go to the cinema for my filmic requirements) I was fairly gripped to the point of a repeated "WTF" conversation with No1Daughter.

« Reply #5693 on: 24 November, 2015, 11:13:41 am »
Horns

On Netflix. Right weird. Must've been good because despite not really watching it (the reason I go to the cinema for my filmic requirements) I was fairly gripped to the point of a repeated "WTF" conversation with No1Daughter.
I've read the book. So damn confused - gripping, yes - but when I finished the book I was left with the feeling that it was a very pointless story that wasn't all that entertaining.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrew

« Reply #5694 on: 24 November, 2015, 01:53:12 pm »
Jude - featuring 2 young Dr Who's (or should that be whose?) and a similarly young and very nekid Kate Winslett.

I dunno, I know I should have liked it. Michael Winterbottom is a very capable film maker, the actors acted earnestly, it was a good if bleak (very bleak) tale told well but... I found it slow and dull and ultimately a bit empty. Maybe that was the point. Life sucks and it rains... a lot.  Guess I was just in the wrong mood.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5695 on: 24 November, 2015, 02:02:39 pm »
2 young Dr Who's (or should that be whose?)

"Doctors Who"?

« Reply #5696 on: 24 November, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »
Bridge of Spies

One of the best films I have seen for a while. Recommended.

it reminded me of watching 'Fail-Safe' a very of a long time ago and the atmosphere of those times.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5697 on: 24 November, 2015, 07:14:56 pm »
Aftermath (2012)

A nice cheery film (not) about the 30 days following a nuclear "exchange", with some unmentioned enemy and the US of A.
The aftermath of the exchange apparently results in zombie like cannibals?!?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5698 on: 24 November, 2015, 07:17:23 pm »
The Goonies

Starring an even shorter Sam Gamgee.

I bloody love that film.  It's absolutely fantastic.
Milk please, no sugar.

Andrew

« Reply #5699 on: 24 November, 2015, 08:05:42 pm »
The Goonies

I bloody love that film.  It's absolutely fantastic.

Agreed. It is one of my all time fave films - and I'm being serious!