Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576313 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1175 on: 16 December, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »
I was thinking that it would be convenient & dispense with the need for you two to have that "isitdone" discussion

« Reply #1176 on: 16 December, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »
When it's black it's done.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1177 on: 17 December, 2011, 04:28:57 pm »
I have wittered and whinged about my broadband speed for quite a while.
Earlier this week, the BT website suggested I could get BT Infinity on 31/12/2011. Now it states 31/3/2012. I think it's now been put back a whole year, in stages. The buggers persuaded me to buy a year's landline rental in advance to save money, but the get-out/termination charges for this are high.
In the mean time, my BB is as flaky as an old croissant reheated in a hot oven.
GGRRRRRR!!!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1178 on: 17 December, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »
There appears to be a poltergeist in our telly. It keeps turning itself off and then back on again....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1179 on: 18 December, 2011, 02:35:48 pm »
Spot on my eyelid.  That's just unfair.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1180 on: 18 December, 2011, 02:45:44 pm »
There appears to be a poltergeist in our telly. It keeps turning itself off and then back on again....

I think some interaction 'twixt my remote control and burglar alarm sensor once did that to my hifi...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1181 on: 19 December, 2011, 02:01:00 pm »

There's one in my house, I'm convinced of it.  i went to bed early on Tuesday due to feeling like DETH and being full of unspeakable slime.  In the morning there was a shampoo bottle in the bath and the kitchen was full of steam due to the hot tap being on.

Then on Saturday night my ashtray disappeared from the coffee table in the living room ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

essexian

« Reply #1182 on: 20 December, 2011, 08:58:18 am »
Oi Coccyx, stop it NOW!!!

Look tail bone, I know my 20 odd stone landed on you 10 days ago following an unplanned gravity assisted decent from the loft but would you stop hurting….please.

It hurt when I went cycling on Saturday, it hurt when I used the treadmill and rowing machine on Sunday, and its hurting now while I am sitting at my desk trying to work. The only time you didn’t hurt was when I went Christmas shopping yesterday: I think my wallet that was hurting more!

Please stop it, please. I want to be able to exercise without pain, its not that much to ask is it?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1183 on: 21 December, 2011, 11:16:54 am »
luser is supplied with new, pre-expired, password.  luser logs in.

Your password has expired; you must set a new password to log in

New password:
Verification:
New password verification error; please try again
Verification:
Verification:

Now, what do you think the problem is?  Apart from rampant stupidity, obv.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1184 on: 21 December, 2011, 11:52:07 am »
I'm having a bad day, which started at 6.30am when only just spotting a cyclist, with black clothing and no lights what so ever, before I pulled out of a junction.  He cycled past me; I pulled out and over took him.  When I stopped at an island, slightly further up the road, I heard screeching of breaks behind me.  I braced myself for impact which didn't happen, so looked in the review mirror to see a car behind me just miss the cyclist without lights.  I spent the rest of my journey to work, and my day so far, feeling guilty for not stopping the cyclist and saying something.  Even if I did what would he have done at that point in his journey ? - well other than getting off the bike and pushing it, which I doubt he'd do.  I got to work to find the 7.30am meeting, that I had gone in early for, was cancelled because of a sickness bug.  I found out when the person I was meeting didn't turn up.  I decided to go to the greasy spoon across, have a bacon sandwich and answer some emails until the office warned up, but I spilt my coffee down my blouse and suit!!!  I cleaned my blouse up as best I could before my next meeting, only to find that the CEO of our company had decided to pop in to wish us all a merry Christmas - I got a foul look.  I've been into town - which is full of people Christmas shopping - to get another blouse.  Now I just want to hide in case anything else goes wrong.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1185 on: 21 December, 2011, 11:56:00 am »

New password:
Verification:
Verification:
Verification:

I think the developer should be shot. The whole process should start over from Password: as it could be either that was incorrectly entered.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1186 on: 21 December, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »

New password:
Verification:
Verification:
Verification:

Having typed in the pre-expired password, they keep trying to put that one in as the NEW password.  Windoze and its ilk don't like you putting in the same password when told to change it.

luser didn't have it impressed on him/her enough (using Frying Pan of Spang) that they'd have to change their password as soon as they were let in.

Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1187 on: 21 December, 2011, 12:08:56 pm »
Things that seem obvious to IT people are not always obvious to normal people, and vice versa.

I'm nowhere near an IT person but I do notice that my colleagues are not always very good at reading the screen and doing what it says. For example, if an error message with instructions pops up, I'll hear "oh, it's not working, it's doing something wrong" followed by frantic clicking and then some swearing. When I suggest reading the pop up box and doing what it says, they look at me like I have two heads.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Si_Co

« Reply #1188 on: 21 December, 2011, 12:18:30 pm »
Ribs - iknow i spent monday morning doing my very best to break you thanks to the black ice but you're supposed to be healing, not depriving me of any sleep and getting worse.

Oh and well I'm here - slipping chain(ring) - stop it -you've only got to last till march then you can retire and become a clock or summat 

<chunter, mutter, grumble>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1189 on: 21 December, 2011, 12:48:44 pm »
Lady on a bike yesterday.  Yes, you were as far to the left as it was possible to get.  And yes, you had lights, which is a welcome change in this day and age.  These facts notwithstanding, however, cycling the wrong way down a narrow one-way street is, and will forever be, the act of a terminal fuckwit.  One day it'll be a chav in a Corsa doing 40 rather than me doing 20, and where will you be then, eh?

Either in A&E at Whipps Cross on in a box, that's where.  Berk.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1190 on: 21 December, 2011, 01:53:43 pm »
Things that seem obvious to IT people are not always obvious to normal people, and vice versa.

If either of my two guesses for the reason for the above error are correct, then that's bad UI design and the error message is unhelpful.  But...

When I suggest reading the pop up box and doing what it says, they look at me like I have two heads.

Lusers have been trained by years of cargo-cult computer operation that the correct response to an error dialogue is to press "OK" and try again.  The actual purpose of error messages has been lost in the mists of time, and the simple process of reading and acting on them is perceived as akin to magic.

Hence "My computer gave an error." "What was the error?" "???  I don't know!"

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1191 on: 21 December, 2011, 01:55:13 pm »

New password:
Verification:
Verification:
Verification:

Take their computer off them, they are obviously too stupid to operate one....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1192 on: 22 December, 2011, 06:49:24 pm »
Sounds like the woman I saw going into the Manor Hospital in Bedford today.  Despite the front door having a massive sign saying "PULL" with another one above it saying "Please pull the door to open", she kept on pushing and had to resort to ringing the doorbell to be let in.   ::-)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1193 on: 22 December, 2011, 08:23:54 pm »
Sounds like the woman I saw going into the Manor Hospital in Bedford today.  Despite the front door having a massive sign saying "PULL" with another one above it saying "Please pull the door to open", she kept on pushing and had to resort to ringing the doorbell to be let in.   ::-)

Ahhh! Midvale School for the Gifted...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1194 on: 22 December, 2011, 10:29:58 pm »
Lothian & Borders police, I know my colleague was parked illegally for a whole minute and I know you didn't know she was only there to pick me up to give me a lift to work and therefore not going to stay there all day, and I know it's part of your job to stop people parking illegally, but I'd have a lot more understanding of your point of view if it wasn't for the fact there's a police van parked illegally on that corner and the opposite one nearly every day. Practise what you preach please, polis.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1195 on: 22 December, 2011, 10:57:19 pm »

Ahhh! Midvale School for the Gifted...

Gary Larsen FTW  ;D

He's been known to be somewhat assertive about copyright, so it's not always guaranteed that a web image of a Far Side cartoon will stay around for ever...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1196 on: 23 December, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »
Why is there no online option for requesting a replacement photocard licence? If it's possible to do it over the phone (on an 0300 number so costing the DVLA money) surely it would be easier and quicker to allow online requests. Also why do you have to send the paper bit of the licence to them for a postal request (and get a form from the Post Office), yet not for on the phone? It's not as if they have all my details on computer or anything ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1197 on: 23 December, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »
DVLA, 'nuff said.

On a related note, I appear to have managed to arrange for both my passport and driving licence to expire within a few months of each other.  What could possibly go wrong?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1198 on: 23 December, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »
Why is there no online option for requesting a replacement photocard licence? If it's possible to do it over the phone (on an 0300 number so costing the DVLA money) surely it would be easier and quicker to allow online requests. Also why do you have to send the paper bit of the licence to them for a postal request (and get a form from the Post Office), yet not for on the phone? It's not as if they have all my details on computer or anything ::-)

I did it online a few months ago.
Furthermore, they automagically imported my passport photo from my last passport application.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1199 on: 23 December, 2011, 10:43:24 pm »
Could you tell me how you did that please? I can't find that option on directgov anywhere.

edit: first item on the bloody page - I'm getting worse :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!