Author Topic: Pineapples  (Read 2094 times)

Pineapples
« on: 16 September, 2008, 02:31:08 pm »
Do pineapples have a season ? If so then it must be now as we bought one on Sunday and it's fantastic, sweet and not too acidic. It's the star in the fruit salad I am eating right now.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Pineapples
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2008, 08:29:33 pm »
Yummy :) A girls best friend too
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2008, 06:24:41 am »
They are definitely seasonal, but when the season is depends on what part of the world they are growing in.

When my mum was at school, in the '50s, she and some friends cut the top off a pineapple - then a pretty rare thing - and gave it to Matron as a cactus. She took good care of it and was really puzzled as to why it didn't grow.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

alchemy

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:13:40 am »
Pineapple is one of my favourite fruits  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

*licks lips*

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:12:06 pm »
Seasonal they are; but with so many countries now growing them this is less true for the European consumer. In Brazil now would be the beginning of the season, with its peak in Dec./Jan. I guess; but Brazilian pineapples may not be the most common anymore according to Wiki, which has a good page on the pineapple
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:18:39 pm »
Pineapple is one of my favourite fruits  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

*licks lips*

Have you had a cantaloupe yet from Victoria Market?

alchemy

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2008, 11:55:58 pm »
Is a cantaloupe a rockmelon??  If it is, then the answers' a no. I don't like rockmelon or watermelon. Which means I could probably get deported for making that sort of confession ;) ;D

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2008, 08:44:05 am »
Oh, poor you.  One of my fondest memories of my trip around Australia was a place on the Northern Territory / South Australian / West Australian borders.  It was a cantaloupe farm.  3 very large and juicy melons for $1 said the sign at the front gate with an honesty box alongside.  We dined on melons for 3 days !!  ;D  They were the best I've ever ever had.

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »
Melons from the area near Arles in the South of France are the best I have ever had.

« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2008, 08:35:37 am »
Melons from the area near Arles in the South of France are the best I have ever had.

Get the so called "Rouge Gorges" label in France. The best (IMO).
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2008, 10:40:50 am »
The best ones I had were bought from a roadside stall next to the fiield where they came from. We had a melon tasting and a wine tasting. Bought a crate of melons and several bottles of muscat.