Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 31821 times)

Re: The wind...
« Reply #75 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:12:11 pm »
Which is why they take off and land into the wind. You get the same airspeed at lower ground speed, so you start flying quicker, which is safer than going at that speed on the ground.
Of course.

« Reply #76 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:30:21 pm »
Woke up to this in the back garden:

Forgot I got it in the Argos sale two years ago.
Need some context, but to me it looks like a perfectly normal kiddy bouncy trampoline in a garden.

« Reply #77 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:39:47 pm »
Children's trampolines have been known to get airborne in high winds if they aren't properly secured, and end up in another back garden - or on railway lines, as alluded to up-thread.

(one landed on the Sevenoaks-London line: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sevenoaks/news/trampoline-on-tracks-causes-disruption-221764/)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #78 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:47:20 pm »
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #79 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:55:53 pm »

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #80 on: 09 February, 2020, 05:05:44 pm »

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #81 on: 09 February, 2020, 05:19:02 pm »
Dutch National Headwind Championships abandoned … due to the wind (+ video) http://road.cc/271009 #cycling
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #82 on: 09 February, 2020, 05:36:13 pm »
https://twitter.com/stormkees/status/1226435268535824385?s=20

Dutch headwind cycling.......

seen that before, we have a road near us, 10 miles or so dead straight into a south-westerly. I suggested we could give it a go here.
The problem with dead straight roads in your part of the world is that they are often accompanied by ditches or drains full of water. 😁
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #83 on: 09 February, 2020, 05:43:03 pm »
The wind is proving that my fixed window isn't fixed. Fortunately, I left a precautionary towel out to soak up the drips (I said it was the window, so for reasons that are unclear, he re-sealed above the frame).

Lots of tree bits on the roads and some mighty puddles (Surrey roads are principally constructed out of holes). Very, very blowy last night. Recent storms seem to have thinned out any unstable trees, we lost the big one at the bottom of our garden (which is a shame) two storms back.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #84 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:13:57 pm »
Dutch National Headwind Championships abandoned … due to the wind (+ video) http://road.cc/271009 #cycling

Quote from: Road CC
The first cyclists heading out on the course at 10am this morning, with the start time brought forward to noon due to the storm being forecast to worsen as the day went on, with gusts of up to 10 kilometres an hour predicted.

Huh?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #85 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:15:40 pm »
I went for a quick walk in the hope of free firewood but all the downed trees are willow, which is almost useless.  I do know where there's a big oak that sometimes sheds branches, if I can get to it before the council does.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #86 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:21:42 pm »

Quote from: Road CC
The first cyclists heading out on the course at 10am this morning, with the start time brought forward to noon due to the storm being forecast to worsen as the day went on, with gusts of up to 10 kilometres an hour predicted.

Huh?

Where do you even start with that? ;D :facepalm:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #87 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:36:36 pm »
We have a winner!  https://twitter.com/kisseswithamor/status/1226530918657077251

Excellent  ;D And this joke was an open-goal, but someone had to make it:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #88 on: 09 February, 2020, 09:05:20 pm »
https://twitter.com/stormkees/status/1226435268535824385?s=20

Dutch headwind cycling.......

seen that before, we have a road near us, 10 miles or so dead straight into a south-westerly. I suggested we could give it a go here.
The problem with dead straight roads in your part of the world is that they are often accompanied by ditches or drains full of water. 😁

Just hope there are no crosswinds

I have almost ended up in said ditches several times
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #89 on: 09 February, 2020, 11:37:08 pm »
Am I the only one a bit fucked off at peoples selfish stupidity after seeing the news footage of the Hastings lifeboat nearly capsizing as it put to sea today to rescue a surfer? Surfing in these conditions? Should have been left to drown.

« Reply #90 on: 10 February, 2020, 12:18:20 am »
I just flew from Amsterdam to LHR. 8.30pm flight. The only KLM flight to London that wasnt cancelled. Needless to say it wasnt a smooth flight.

« Reply #91 on: 10 February, 2020, 12:28:21 am »
Am I the only one a bit fucked off at peoples selfish stupidity after seeing the news footage of the Hastings lifeboat nearly capsizing as it put to sea today to rescue a surfer? Surfing in these conditions? Should have been left to drown.
As someone who has always been attracted to and participated in dangerous sports I have no criticism of him 'giving it a go'.  Did he ask to be rescued or even need rescuing ?   I also don't have a problem with your 'Should have been left to drown' comment, presumably if the rescue services had deemed it too risky to mount the rescue then they would have left him or her to perish, and that is fair enough too. He or she probably knew the risks and were happy to take them.

I certainly have a lot more respect for that surfer, than the idiot I seen today risking the lives and well being of others by driving his oversized SUV at stupidly high speeds on a minor country road.  Presumably if he had piled into another road user and killed them it would be put down as some sort of act of god.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #92 on: 10 February, 2020, 06:40:20 am »
The new-fangled overhead catenary between Swindon and Didcot Parkway has been damaged, so no trains.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #93 on: 10 February, 2020, 08:05:56 am »
might be interesting today, geting to LHR by train and then flying north.  Trains to London seem OK so far, but Heathrow Express is a reduced service
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #94 on: 10 February, 2020, 08:07:05 am »
This unit is happy to report that our detestable buddleia cowped over at some point during the night, leaving but a meagre twig pointing sadly at the sky.  That vile bush has been waging aggressive war on our front path for the last 20 years, to the extent that to get past one had either to bend sideways from the waist at about 45° or risk getting whacked in the kisser by a wet frond.  It was also a favourite scratching-post of Raz the Larger Lab, whose star turn was waiting until you were passing alongside then ramming his back against it and sending a shower of water down your neck.

No more. Once the bluthery tailings of the storm have passed the chainsaw is coming out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Davef

« Reply #95 on: 10 February, 2020, 08:12:37 am »
As long as they had their safety belts done up they would be fine - the Shannon class is designed to gently roll over and self right, but it was a long way from that. The dangerous part is later when they do the actual rescue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #96 on: 10 February, 2020, 09:07:45 am »
BN: A holly tree fell in our paddock yesterday evening.
MBN: Our goose hut and straw shed are right in the area where the tree came down.
GN:
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #97 on: 10 February, 2020, 09:19:09 am »
Did he ask to be rescued or even need rescuing ?   I also don't have a problem with your 'Should have been left to drown' comment, presumably if the rescue services had deemed it too risky to mount the rescue then they would have left him or her to perish, and that is fair enough too. He or she probably knew the risks and were happy to take them.

I think that shows that you don't understand either the feelings of the persons family and friends, nor the dedication of the volunteer unpaid lifeboat crews and coastguard.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #98 on: 10 February, 2020, 10:57:18 am »
As someone who has always been attracted to and participated in dangerous sports I have no criticism of him 'giving it a go'.  Did he ask to be rescued or even need rescuing ?   I also don't have a problem with your 'Should have been left to drown' comment, presumably if the rescue services had deemed it too risky to mount the rescue then they would have left him or her to perish, and that is fair enough too. He or she probably knew the risks and were happy to take them.

I certainly have a lot more respect for that surfer, than the idiot I seen today risking the lives and well being of others by driving his oversized SUV at stupidly high speeds on a minor country road.  Presumably if he had piled into another road user and killed them it would be put down as some sort of act of god.

I think that shows that you don't understand either the feelings of the persons family and friends, nor the dedication of the volunteer unpaid lifeboat crews and coastguard.
but it was yourself who made the comment "Should have been left to drown"!

Do you want to ban or regulate all dangerous sports ? Rock climbing only to be performed with top ropes at council approved sites manned by experts to ensure no one tries anything too risky?  no surfing in waves greater than 1 metre? where does it end, compulsory helmets for cyclists ? cyclists banned from 'A' roads

And how do you propose we deal with people who eat too much, drink too much, smoke ?  it could be argued that they may be taking up more than their fair share of NHS time thus putting other peoples lives and health at risk.  I'm not for this nanny state, by all means tell people that things are dangerous, but lets not wrap everyone one up in cotton wool. Life has to be an adventure, and the bigger the adventure the better.

Anyway, looking further than the sensationalist headlines of the of the media who seem to like to exaggerate everything out of all proportions, it would appear the surfer managed to get himself back to shore and did not need rescued. I take my hat off to the lunatic.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #99 on: 10 February, 2020, 11:02:50 am »
like to exaggerate everything out of all proportions

:P
It is simpler than it looks.