Author Topic: How to measure headset bearings  (Read 2564 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
How to measure headset bearings
« on: 08 December, 2008, 04:44:14 pm »
I would like to replace the bearings in a headset.  A bit of a search through the yacf vault gave me this:

Headsets are more likely to be 5/32 or 3/16.  3/32 is tiny, and normally only found in Shimano SPD pedals.

Can I replace the current bearings with either a set of 5/32'' or 3/16'' bearings or do they need to be the same size as the ones being replace?  And if I do need to replace like for like, how do I easily tell if they are 5/32'' or 3/16''?  Or is it a case of trying to measure a bearing with some decent callipers and watching them get fired across the room as I screw up?

Ta.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

bikenerd

Re: How to measure headset bearings
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2008, 04:47:54 pm »
Take the old bearings to a (good) LBS.  Say "I'd like a packet of these please" and they'll produce them from under the counter and charge you £1.50 or so.
The loose ball headsets I have are 1/8", so it looks like the bearing size can vary quite a bit.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2008, 04:50:41 pm »
Take the old bearings to a (good) LBS.  Say "I'd like a packet of these please" and they'll produce them from under the counter and charge you £1.50 or so.
Fair enough  :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2008, 04:52:03 pm »
You must replace with the same size.

Measure with calipers or buy a little guage with holes with it.

Insist on grade 100, or preferably grade 25.  Balls of a lower grade (higher grade number) are not so smooth and uniform in size.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2008, 08:44:36 pm »
I can tell by looking  ;)

I serviced some SPDs the other week and 3/32" bearings are the Devil's work.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.