Author Topic: Seatposts - Carbon Vs Titanium  (Read 9559 times)

Re: Seatposts - Carbon Vs Titanium
« Reply #25 on: 18 September, 2008, 05:30:26 pm »
At 65 kg I doubt if you'd get much compliance out of a ti post. Still think your main route to arse comfort will be a nice saddle but for you, on a race bike, a very light carbon post might be more worthwhile than ti.

BTW I have had a Fizik Arione and they are good. I had "kium" rails on mine but titanium would be better. The Arione suits people who like a saddle with a flat bit where the sit bones go; if you like to sit more "in" the saddle the Aliante is the one.

The Wing Flex aspect is cobblers though (more so if you are only 65 kg).

« Reply #26 on: 18 September, 2008, 05:40:32 pm »
blimey, at 65kgs you can probably use one of those bendy drinking straws...   :D

« Reply #27 on: 18 September, 2008, 06:28:16 pm »
I've just ordered one of these:

£56  27.2 or 31.6mm.  Looks cool as fcuk, and is twin-bolt too

« Reply #28 on: 18 September, 2008, 06:37:09 pm »
Oh, I assumed it was the act of fixing a clamp to them that could do the damage not the weight. I suppose they are clamped by the seat collar though.

Saturn - a saddle bag will probably be fine if you make sure that there aren't sharp bits cutting into the carbon. Basically, a properly designed lightweight carbon seat pin is designed only to take the weight of the rider. Additional loading can cause problems. This is much the same problem as with carbon bars and attaching tri-bars. Attaching a saddle bag will load it in much the same way as adding more weight to the rider.

« Reply #29 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:00:26 pm »
blimey, at 65kgs you can probably use one of those bendy drinking straws

I'm considering a post at the narrower end of the range, 25mm perhaps, and using a shim to fit it to the frame - which is 30.6mm. Any thoughts on that? I'm still undecided as to the Ti Vs carbon question!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #30 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:10:11 pm »
blimey, at 65kgs you can probably use one of those bendy drinking straws

I'm considering a post at the narrower end of the range, 25mm perhaps, and using a shim to fit it to the frame - which is 30.6mm. Any thoughts on that? I'm still undecided as to the Ti Vs carbon question!
:-\
If the post is so much thinner than the seat tube, will it not be a bit shoogly below where the shim makes up the thickness? Unless you have a shim about the same length as the post inside the tube? Why would you want to?

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #31 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:11:54 pm »

Why would you want to?

because he can, the skinny fekker....

« Reply #32 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »
I thought it would cut down on bike weight (especially if I go for the Ti option) and not make much of a difference performance-wise given my my height and weight.

« Reply #33 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:39:47 pm »
I've never heard of anyone using a narrower seat post to save weight before - but then I bet some weight weeny has.

IMHO, the best way to save weight and go super fast is to get the lightest and blingiest wheels possible.

You could also just do away with a saddle and seat post altogether if you wanna go super light!!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #34 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:43:08 pm »
I thought it would cut down on bike weight (especially if I go for the Ti option) and not make much of a difference performance-wise given my my height and weight.

It'll not make any significant difference especially with carbon.

If you go for a ti post just saw off the excess length, within limits, and even with ti it'll not make much difference.

« Reply #35 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:29:12 pm »
Right then, I'm veering towards the Campag Chorus carbon seatpost, which looks well nice.

I'll probably go Chorus groupset whilst I'm at it!