Author Topic: Should I hibernate for the winter?  (Read 5503 times)

Re: Should I hibernate for the winter?
« Reply #25 on: 29 September, 2009, 01:51:10 pm »
Was it a pedal car ?
;D
Dorset Coast in a pedal car - I'm sure there's someone mad enough in AUK.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #26 on: 29 September, 2009, 04:13:37 pm »
Hmm, the fitter I get, the more I enjoy riding and the less relevant the weather becomes (ref: hardest audax thread).

Hibernate for winter? Don't be daft, winter is when you get fit for spring!

« Reply #27 on: 29 September, 2009, 04:14:58 pm »
winter is when you get fit for spring!

and...

spring is when you get fit for summer!
summer is when you get fit for autumn!
autumn is when you get fit for winter!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #28 on: 29 September, 2009, 04:19:35 pm »
Come and join me in audax retirement  :thumbsup:
No dont do this . These clubbie guys are not really in retirement.
 NUTTY < When I got bored on the road or with the Audax idea I go back to myreal cucling love
Mountain biking.

« Reply #29 on: 29 September, 2009, 04:49:06 pm »
I can't really go mountain biking here.  It's as flat as a badly cooked pancake* so off-road is all about meandering through muddy fields; so I'd rather take the tarmac roads and cover 60 miles of scenery for the same effort as 15 muddy miles.

* I still don't understand why Mr Seb Self-appointed Coe decided to hold his Olympic MTB thing here.  Essex is flat.  innit.

« Reply #30 on: 29 September, 2009, 08:22:52 pm »

Yes I am just trying to get out on the bike.  I don't enjoy the sunday CTC runs that much; they're great and good company, but I seem to be out of the house for 10 hours and cover around 70 miles.  I like rides that are around 90 to 130 miles long, so a 200 is ideal for this. 

Also, by entering an Audax it forces me to get out of bed and commit.  If I don't then I am usually distracted by something else and so don't bother riding at all.

Most of the posts upthread were convincing me that I was right, and shouldn't be driving down to Hailsham.

I'm like that too.
I don't bother with club runs or CTC club runs because they are very short. I like to go somewhere for a ride. On the other hand, if I haven't got a ride planned I don't always feel motivated. It just seems pointles to go for a few dozen miles when if I plan things, I can do a good tour of Welsh mountains in a weekend. But if I do go out, I'm rarely dissapointed.
Maybe you should plan some 100 mile YACF rides and try and get some company? It will commit you to a ride and get you out. Plus if you are leading the ride, you'll have to stay in company. Unless no-one turns up.
Driving across the country for a 200k ride seems a bit daft to me. Unless it's a ride you especially want to do.  You could just do a 200k ride from home and spend your petrol money in a cafe. You'll have more time for the ride, so can spend longer in the cafe. No worries about getting home afterwards too.
I find that a big motivator for me is to ride on a road I've never been on before. Or to see something new.